The problem with playing SIT songs live - A tabu?

IMHO, simply, the album is older (so any cut from it is "deep"), they don't believe the songs work well live (which is probably why Loneliness was dropped almost immediately), the album wasn't that big of a hit, it has a production and a certain style that dates it somewhat, the album is a bit more on the wanking side, at least for Maiden (I'm listening to CSIT as I'm writing this)... Easily, I don't think the band (and the general Maiden public) think of the album as highly and as often as we here do. Way too much a... eh, "cult one" for that.

EDIT: Not to underrate them, of course, but I have my doubts about how well would they be able to play the intro/verse to SoM nowadays, or Loneliness, or that weird part in AtG. And CSIT... I would love it, totally, absolutely, morbidly, but I just don't see the crowd cheering for it that heavily. Wasted we got and HCW is the one I definitely could live without.
Deja-vu is way too much of a deep cut, even in the context of this album. That would be totally out of the left field.

CSIT... but I just don't see the crowd cheering for it that heavily.
The crowd would go totally nuts.
Deja-vu is way too much of a deep cut, even in the context of this album. That would be totally out of the left field.
No need to play safe at this stage of their career. They didn't do it with their latest album, they don't have to do it with their live selection either. Maiden would conquer any audience these days, so why not please the crowd with some more obscure stuff. And I think something like this will happen. Bruce hinted at it. Not from SIT? I am still in for a treat! Infinite Dreams, Flight of Icarus, Total Eclipse, let's have it. ;-)

Last edited:
CSIT would definitely get the crowd going, more so than anything else from SIT, I would have thought, although Wasted Years is popular. As for the rest, I just can't see their place in a setlist.

I can't either but I think the reasons have more to do with the material (mentioned thoroughly in this topic) rather than with the setlist itself.

edit: err not quite true because I argued that other regular songs are easier to use. :innocent:

Last edited:
We already have a hint in "Shadows Of The Valley"...I mean "soulless demons laughing in a sea of madness";).

CSIT would definitely get the crowd going, more so than anything else from SIT, I would have thought, although Wasted Years is popular. As for the rest, I just can't see their place in a setlist.
Except "Heaven Can Wait" I guess, a strong live number! ;)

Well, he was sick on that tour and pretty much talked his way through Hallowed.
Well, if the man's sick i can't really judge him :p

But i think nowadays he is a bit more dynamic vocally onstage and in genreal hands higher notes better, i think.

Also, i always kind of laugh at that part in Hallowed when Bruce sings "...at my past life" kind of like Axl Rose sings without the rasp, the "nasal voice" :p There was a time when he did that, like, all the time live.

I see no reason to believe the band was or was not as into it as on the previous or later efforts. It's all speculation. All we know for sure is that Adrian didn't enjoy the tours the time and that Bruce was hurt by the fact that none of his songs were accepted for the album. We know that because they told us so. Does that mean Adrian doesn't like the album? He's said quite the opposite - in fact, in an interview I read back in 2006 he said that Somewhere in Time was his favourite album, despite the fact that he thought it was the only one that sounded dated. Does it mean Bruce didn't like the album or enjoy the tour? We have no evidence towards that. There are between one and a million reasons why the band doesn't play more material from Somewhere in Time live, and they are the only ones who know them.
I don't have the exact quote, but I remember in the SIT tour program Bruce mentioning that while H was writing his material for the LP, Bruce would walk by the room, listen, and it was obvious to him, his help was not needed. I took that comment as a compliment to H, not a sign Bruce was upset he wasn't needed.

I don't have the exact quote, but I remember in the SIT tour program Bruce mentioning that while H was writing his material for the LP, Bruce would walk by the room, listen, and it was obvious to him, his help was not needed. I took that comment as a compliment to H, not a sign Bruce was upset he wasn't needed.

This is true, but if you read some of the official material, especially Run to the Hills by Mick Wall, it's said quite clearly that Bruce was hurt that his material was rejected. Both Steve and Bruce talked about it. It's clear they wouldn't mention it during the album promotion, but said book was written twelve years later.

Most of the songs on SIT are weaker than the songs on most of the other 80's albums. At least I think so. I think the band might agree. CSIT is a really good opener, but WED, Aces High and Moonchild are all better. Alexander the Great is weakest epic they wrote in the 80's. The singles, SIASL and WY are both good songs, but I'd choose NOTB, Trooper, Flight of Icarus, 2 Minutes etc over them every day of the week.

Most of the songs on SIT are weaker than the songs on most of the other 80's albums. At least I think so. I think the band might agree. CSIT is a really good opener, but WED, Aces High and Moonchild are all better. Alexander the Great is weakest epic they wrote in the 80's. The singles, SIASL and WY are both good songs, but I'd choose NOTB, Trooper, Flight of Icarus, 2 Minutes etc over them every day of the week.
I agree with most of what you have said, except I prefer "Wasted Years" to "Flight of Icarus". Besides, "Alexander the Great" might be "weaker" than the other 80's epics (except for "To Tame A Land", whose vocal melodies tarnish the instrumental greatness of the song in my opinion), the adjective "weak" is maybe a bit tough. ;)

I agree with most of what you have said, except I prefer "Wasted Years" to "Flight of Icarus". Besides, "Alexander the Great" might be "weaker" than the other 80's epics (except for "To Tame A Land", whose vocal melodies tarnish the instrumental greatness of the song in my opinion), the adjective "weak" is maybe a bit tough. ;)
Alexander the Great is a great song, no doubt, but I prefer the other epics :)

This is true, but if you read some of the official material, especially Run to the Hills by Mick Wall, it's said quite clearly that Bruce was hurt that his material was rejected. Both Steve and Bruce talked about it. It's clear they wouldn't mention it during the album promotion, but said book was written twelve years later.
Thx for the info. Did that material Bruce wrote ever surface elsewhere (future Maiden LP or Bruce solo work)?

Run Silent Run Deep, Tears Of A Dragon
I also think No Way Out (the Keith Olsen one)

ok. A few things to point out. There was someone on the fan club forum that met Rod in 2012 after the show in Atlanta who asked Rod why they didn't play infinite dreams and why caught somewhere in time hasn't been played live since 87. Rod said Steve said the song "sounds like sh*t live". Highly unlikely we'll ever hear it live. Somewhere in Time was their most successful album in terms of sales and longevity on the charts until 1991 when NOTB finally caught up and passed it in sales. It was their most accessible record for years. It was their biggest album in the states. Steve knows the states hated Seventh Son when it came out but UK loved it. I sadly believe that although they don't sound great live, neither does anything from Seventh son. Seventh son was a weak follow up to SIT IMO. It lacked the power, the riffs and solos that made SIT so amazing, not to mention, the best guitar tone ever. Steve stood by many years in interviews stating it was one of their greatest albums. Shame he doesn't feel that way about it played live. It was the first maiden album I ever bought or heard and will always be my favorite. It's the only album from them where every song is awesome. Every other album seems to have "filler songs" which I feel didn't exist on it. My opinion of course! They dropped Loneliness after the first show because they didn't think it fit the rest of the set list (which changed so many frickin times that tour it's unbelievable)

end rant

Robbins, I just realized we were at that show together

EDIT: and I'll see you in Florida lol

ok. A few things to point out. There was someone on the fan club forum that met Rod in 2012 after the show in Atlanta who asked Rod why they didn't play infinite dreams and why caught somewhere in time hasn't been played live since 87. Rod said Steve said the song "sounds like sh*t live". Highly unlikely we'll ever hear it live. Somewhere in Time was their most successful album in terms of sales and longevity on the charts until 1991 when NOTB finally caught up and passed it in sales. It was their most accessible record for years. It was their biggest album in the states. Steve knows the states hated Seventh Son when it came out but UK loved it. I sadly believe that although they don't sound great live, neither does anything from Seventh son. Seventh son was a weak follow up to SIT IMO. It lacked the power, the riffs and solos that made SIT so amazing, not to mention, the best guitar tone ever. Steve stood by many years in interviews stating it was one of their greatest albums. Shame he doesn't feel that way about it played live. It was the first maiden album I ever bought or heard and will always be my favorite. It's the only album from them where every song is awesome. Every other album seems to have "filler songs" which I feel didn't exist on it. My opinion of course! They dropped Loneliness after the first show because they didn't think it fit the rest of the set list (which changed so many frickin times that tour it's unbelievable)

end rant
I've always loved your love for SIT and i think i've said it to you a couple of times, but your opinion on SSOASS really caught me off guard :eek: I know it's off topic, but i'd like to at least understand your views on it...

Back