The Post Your Own Music Thread

Got some new music coming out 2021. First is a remix of the title track of our fourth album, Work Work Work. Then in a couple of weeks we have a new track, 24 Hours of Freedom, which features a lead vocal by Blaze Bayley, which I'm obviously pretty stoked about.

I'm about to finish a solo project but I'd like to get a second pair of ears to evaluate the mix before I consider it finished. I'd appreciate it if someone with mixing experience took a listen and offered some feedback on whether it sounds too harsh/boomy/etc. Otherwise I'll keep tinkering with it forever and possibly make it worse.

A song? More songs? An album?

I think @Yax and @Mosh have had education in this field. But in my experience mixing can also be a personal matter. And sometimes person A hears stuff (finds stuff important) and person B does not hear it and/or puts emphasis on other matters.
Especially when it is a solo project, it would be satisfying if you yourself (also) would like the mix.

But perhaps you like several mixes you've made and have trouble with choosing?

Last edited:
I have absolutely no experience in mixing but if you’d like opinions I can definitely offer that.

It’s good to have an extra set of ears and was encouraged when I was in school. I did pursue an audio certificate out of high school but that’s about it for formal training (I went the performance route when I transitioned to university). I would be happy to listen to stuff regardless.

perfectmix-lg.jpg

Yeah, you don't want to get stuck in this. Besides, I tend to lose myself after too much tinkering, either during an extended session or over time, where the sum of all changes the tired ears suggests you make, lead to either nothing or a worse sounding mix, just like you said.

I'll be happy to offer my thoughts.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish I had a old box multitrack recorder that has nothing except channel volume, pan and EQ.

As soon as I'm in Cubase I find myself distracted with unnecessary shit. As soon as two distinct instrument tracks (like guitar and drums) are made, sounds don't blend, of course they don't it's just a demo who cares, but lets try and change a few presets, turn a few knobs...half a hour later sound is still shit and recording went nowhere. I bought a cheapest Chinese processor just for recording ideas on the fly and I found myself upgrading firmwares and inserting impulse defs in for cabinet modeling, like it's going to ever sound like triple rectifier on 4x12.

It is finished. For the first time since 2018 I have a song to release. I originally planned to finish this in early 2020 before going abroad, but I'm glad I didn't because in the meantime I've become somewhat more aware of what I want to do musically. I think I got the inspiration for this song from listening to Opeth's Ghost Reveries. But in the end, there's Maiden, DT and all my favourite stuff in there.
Thanks @Yax for tips on how to clear up the mix a bit.

It is finished. For the first time since 2018 I have a song to release. I originally planned to finish this in early 2020 before going abroad, but I'm glad I didn't because in the meantime I've become somewhat more aware of what I want to do musically. I think I got the inspiration for this song from listening to Opeth's Ghost Reveries. But in the end, there's Maiden, DT and all my favourite stuff in there.

Some very cool stuff in there, nice playing! I love that first heavy riff! Very Opethian.

Cool how the acoustic guitar emerges again, out of that heavy riff (fading out)!
Awesome melodies / chord progressions later on !
Beautiful work Saap!

Loved this, great stuff.

My band, has put out a couple of new tunes today, as always, available on all the major streaming platforms. Both of these tracks feature guest vocalists, though unlike last months release with Blaze singing, you won't have heard of these vocalists!

Hi there,

I would like to share my first cover version - or let's say 'adaption' of a Maiden song. You can call it an acoustic Folk version of 'Blood Brothers'. Played in an alternative tune, a little bit faster and with mainly acoustic Guitars, Mandolin, Irish Bouzuki, Bass, Banjo and Cello.
The singer Leandro Pacheco had a rough time because it's 3 semitones higher than the original :yes:

Hope you like it!

You can also find it on Apple Music, Bandcamp, ...
https://linktr.ee/bookoftunes

(Should be soon online on Youtube as well, don't know why it is missing there at the moment).

Blood_Brother_cover_Titel04_klein.jpg

Cheers,
Volker
Book of Tunes

My band, Vantage Point, are releasing a new album, On Target, in January. Ahead of it we have just put out a new single, End of the Line, which you can listen to on the digital platform of your choice. If you do give it a listen on Spotify and think it is alright, then do give us a follow there. With currently only 105 followers you can see we are not what you would term, popular!

Back