The Pope is dope

I went to (effectively) catholic schools in the 80s and 90s. Until a few years before me, they were officially monestary schools, and when my family moved there, there was still a LOT of catholicism, and a lot of it was bad, some of it terrible.

One of my teachers was a nun. Interestingly, she was intelligent, strong-minded, and very concerned with women’s rights. Everybody in the class was catholic, except me (protestant) and a girl (jehovah’s witness — btw for most people in this environment, being protestant or jehovah’s witness was the same). Then this girl went to another school, and I was the only one left who wasn’t catholic. The teacher prayed with us at least 4 times a day, mostly Lord’s Prayers and a lot of Hail Marys, which you could say was not adequate or discriminating because not everybody was catholic. But she naturally included me and NEVER EVER discriminated me, even though it would have been so easy for her. In fact, quite the opposite, she explained the common ground between us to the other kids; I also remember how she helped 2 boys who got ridiculed because they were italian.
Later I heard rumors she was a lesbian and had a girlfriend, still a nun, don’t know if that’s true. A great, mysterious woman with humanistic and, dare I say, REAL Christian values. I’m grateful to this day, that she was my teacher.

Not every teacher was like that, unfortunately.

Back