The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

I know it's the common opinion that ARL/DO are bad, but I like the rawness of the performances and the directness of the sound. For example, on the post-reunion live albums the guitars are often too reverb-y imo. ARDO is unadorned and VERY live.

It's not my common opinion. I love the rawness and viciousness of the sound on ARLDO. It's one of my favorite Maiden live albums, even without Adrian.

Indeed, like everything else they do: Maiden is a brand. They are a product. The shows are an extension of that, of course. Fans know what to expect, fans get what they expect, fans are happy. This is how Maiden has always worked. They might drop or add a song here and there over the years, but in general they stick to the same thing.

Left at 6AM today from Frankfurt by car towards Vienna. Pretty soon after I had left a German X3/5 police car drove next to me on the Autobahn and then ahead of me and put lights on. It turned almost immediately to a small maintenance road. I slowed and looked back and thought it was just called for something else but no. It was for me since I left the scene it came after me. Took about 10 km or so until next gas station and I was pretty sure I am fucked up since I didn't pull over initially. I have Iron Maiden stickers on my car and I guess I looked suspicious since they two officers came to my car at the gas station, one opening the door while other covering him. They asked if I could not read (sic) since I hadn't stopped but they never had time to put the "follow me"-sign on which I explained. They asked if I have weapons or drugs and if I had had any trouble before with police which sounded funny since I was driving an Austrian diplomatic vehicle. They took my papers to their car and closed even their window so I couldn't hear what they were talking. After sometime they came out, handed the papers back and just left. No mentioning anything about any traffic related issue.

So I guess you get profiled with wearing Iron Maiden signs :)

Dave plays guitar with a banana.

There is still one question about the setlist. Will they play Trooper in Dublin?

Last edited:
All the talk about setlists: personally I'm fine with the setlist not changing night to night. Although I do think that the idea of pyro and set cues taking precedence over music is absurd. Most of us would rather just watch some different songs and wouldn't care if they played in front of a black screen with all the lights on I think?

What actually annoys me more is the reluctance to play post reunion stuff. Nothing from DoD, AMOLAD or TFF.

Why?

About the set list: for me it is all the same. I go to the show to see the band is just not about my fantasy which I listen to almost everyday. So it is pretty much the same what they play. It is all goooood. And I have been listening to them since 1987 or 1988, I don't remember.

I have seen the TBOS show now five times (Vienna, Prague, Zilina and 2x Frankfurt). Enjoyed all of them more than anything. I am too tired and drunk now to drive for tomorrow's show in Hamburg from Vienna (which I have a ticket for) but I would be happy to see the show for the sixth time. No problem.

What I really really would enjoy would be more well-produced live blurays. From the TBOS tour and if ever possible, from a small scale pub-like shows they did at the very very early on their career. These are things that keep me warm as I drink alone at home and watch the recordings.

Although I do think that the idea of pyro and set cues taking precedence over music is absurd. Most of us would rather just watch some different songs and wouldn't care if they played in front of a black screen with all the lights on I think?

"Most of us" actually would care. Unfortunately, "most of us" are not posting on message boards and discussing setlists. 80-90% of Maiden fans don't hang out and dissect their music the way we do and actually are there to see pyro, big inflatables, and hear Run to the Hills. It's sad, but true.

Eurosport/BBC just showed (live) Nico two times in Sheffield at the snooker World Champion's final audience! Last leg of the final tonight. Selby leads by 16-12 (out of 35).

"Most of us" actually would care. Unfortunately, "most of us" are not posting on message boards and discussing setlists. 80-90% of Maiden fans don't hang out and dissect their music the way we do and actually are there to see pyro, big inflatables, and hear Run to the Hills. It's sad, but true.

I dont think theres anything wrong with wanting to see an epic show.

Fuck people that actually want to listen to RTTH though

Back