The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

They had the patches early on in the tour. I want to say they were $10.

I should have stocked up on merch in England. Comparatively, and with a good exchange rate in our favor, everything was significantly cheaper. Could have bought the hoodie for around $70.

I'd say $100 isn't a ripoff for a quality hoodie, european market.

Had a great time in Oklahoma City last night. First time seeing Maiden and they didn't disappoint. Bruce sounded great to me. Ghost was pretty much ruined buy the rude inconsiderate drunks around me getting up and down and standing in front of me for their set. Still had a great time for Maiden. Picked up some poster flags as they don't make t-shirts big enough for my fat ass.

Ok, H's guitars this year (since they posted a nice photo...)...
19399884_10154502714752051_2886413812345711831_n.jpg

L to R:
1. Jackson AS Dinky Custom Shop prototype, serial 8432 with DiMarzio Super Distortion. Used on: SOL, sometimes Wrathchild, COTD, DOG
2. Jackson AS Signature model with Seymour Duncan JB. Used on Powerslave
3. Jackson AS Signature Custom Shop prototype, serial 8431 with DiMarzio Super Distortion. Used on: sometimes IESF, TNOTB
4. Jackson AS SIgnature Custom Shop, Green Sunburst finish, maple neck. Used on: TRATB, Trooper, TBOS, BB, WY
5. Gibson Les Paul Standard, Black. Used on: sometimes IESF, sometimes Wrathchild, FOTD, IM
6. Gibson Les Paul Custom, Black, tuned DADFAD with capo on 2nd fret. Used on TGU

Edit: Adrian played the green Jackson on Powerslave yesterday. The most pointless guitar change (changes to LP only for Wrathchild) is still being made.

H also broke a string last night on the last solo of TBOS.

Last edited:
Saw the Houston show last night with my son! This makes #12 Maiden show for me. His first big production stadium metal show! He has seen Queen with Adam Lambert (same venue as last night) and he saw Bullet For My Valentine headline at House of Blues (much smaller), but I really wanted him to experience the ultimate...Maiden! When Bruce was introducing Children of the Damned, he asked how many in the audience were born after 1982 and I told him to scream, but he just raised his arms and smiled.

I have not been following this thread much so I did not know: 1. new intro video this year (I like the one last year better) and 2. this year they have a REAL tour program at the merch booth. Great souvenir. Funny thing: I asked my son if there was anything about the show he did NOT like and he said "the way Bruce's mike kept going out". I had to explain to him (as @MrKnickerbocker said) that for as long as I can remember, when Bruce has to hit high notes that he has trouble with, he pulls the microphone away from him. Haha. His favorite song I think was Speed of Light (he LOVES the video). He was also looking forward to the song IM. Bruce messing with Janick during the first half of the show kept my son laughing (Bruce kept Janick in a bear hug during his solo in TRATB and covered Janick with the British flag during part of the Trooper)

It has been five years since Maiden played here in Houston and it has been 27 (!) years since they played an indoor show so I am glad to finally see that here. Band sounded great, very energetic and spot on, ...except when Adrian's guitar (I guess) stopped working at the end of Book of Souls during his lead. That is the only reason I would assume he would leave the stage during that part. I enjoyed The Great Unknown more than I thought I would. Even though I cringe whenever I see Wrathchild in the setlist, once they start playing it, I am ALL in. We sat in upper prom 2nd row (same seats I had in Chicago but instead of being on Janick's side, this time I was straight in front of the band). My voice is so rough from screaming the lyrics all night long!

Oh, and I LOVED seeing Ghost for the first time (although my boy is not too thrilled with their lyrics). I thought Papa talking to the audience at the end during the intro to Monstrace Clock was a nice touch. Hope they return as headliners.

The one thing I felt was missing from this tour was the backdrop they used for Tears of a Clown. @bearfan and I agreed that's the best backdrop they've had on both legs of the TBOS tour.
Though I really, really want something showing off the updated Best of the Beast backdrop they use for Wasted Years, with the DotR, BNW, TFF, and TBOS Eddies.

Forgot to mention two things:

1. TRATB: very impressive. A song that long with no slow part in the middle to give the guys a break was incredible
2. DOG: Easily the most frantic of the new songs they played live. My boy got into the "climb like a monkey" thing (copying his daddy). Only thing is the lights were so crazy during this song, near the end of the tune, I started to get a headache, but it went away when the song ended.

To vent

Bought tix for 3 shows .. Chicago, Dallas, Oakland.

Chicago, you could print tickets .. the other 2 CC entry. My card was changed because it was involved in some breach (luckily no bad charges) .. and I used a debit card for tickets (mistake). I emailed ticket master, they wanted a statement showing the last 4 digits of the card and the purchase.

problem ... debit card statements are bank statements ... so it has my bank account number, I did not want to send that .. and it is not what they asked for. I emailed them anyway with a letter from my bank that my card was compromised. Not good enough, they gave me a number to call

I called ... first guy .. total fucking moron ... He essentially argued with me that the last 4 on the card is on my bank statement, I was looking at the statement and assured him a) it was not there b) I am not sending you my bank account c) I spent good money on these tickets, I want to go .. at some point in there, he hung up on me

I called back .. spoke to a really nice woman who said .. yeah, no problem, we can take care of it ... and she took care of it, tickets are now on my new card.

I like the theory behind this to reduce scalping, but there needs to be a better option for stuff like this . . and going forward, I'll use a regular credit card to buy tickets.

end venting

The one thing I felt was missing from this tour was the backdrop they used for Tears of a Clown. @bearfan and I agreed that's the best backdrop they've had on both legs of the TBOS tour.
Though I really, really want something showing off the updated Best of the Beast backdrop they use for Wasted Years, with the DotR, BNW, TFF, and TBOS Eddies.

That backdrop was really cool, I would get a poster of it for the office if they sold one .. plus I just think the song worked a bit better live. That said, I am glad we got a new song, I wish TOAC was on this leg and Great Unknown on the first leg (I would rather see TOAC 3 times)

That backdrop was really cool, I would get a poster of it for the office if they sold one .. plus I just think the song worked a bit better live. That said, I am glad we got a new song, I wish TOAC was on this leg and Great Unknown on the first leg (I would rather see TOAC 3 times)
Completely agree. But I'm happy to see 7 songs (!) off the new album total over the two legs. Not many elder statesmen metal bands support their new work like that.

Texas got a pretty cool shirt... I was out in Houston through last night and saw Ghost and only the first 3 songs for maiden before having to catch a plane to come back to Florida for a gig to work out at Disney... I saw them in Tampa but left after Great Unknown... rest of set list was the same as last year. beat the traffic and crowds

Texas got a pretty cool shirt... I was out in Houston through last night and saw Ghost and only the first 3 songs for maiden before having to catch a plane to come back to Florida for a gig to work out at Disney... I saw them in Tampa but left after Great Unknown... rest of set list was the same as last year. beat the traffic and crowds

Sweet .. will be purchasing the Texas shirt tomorrow!

Last edited:
Funny thing: I asked my son if there was anything about the show he did NOT like and he said "the way Bruce's mike kept going out". I had to explain to him (as @MrKnickerbocker said) that for as long as I can remember, when Bruce has to hit high notes that he has trouble with, he pulls the microphone away from him.

Even though I cringe whenever I see Wrathchild in the setlist, once they start playing it, I am ALL in.

It really is a great tactic for him, except for guys like us who know exactly what Bruce is doing. :bigsmile:

I felt the same way about Wrathchild. No matter how lame of a choice it is, I had a damn blast from start to finish while they played it. It does really fit in the set nicely no matter where it goes.

That backdrop was absolutely amazing! I got some shades of Accident of Birth when it popped up. Honestly, they could have used that backdrop for The Red and the Black and it would have made perfect sense. That artwork was too good not to use.

No, for most bands it would be "come see the Book of Souls Tour .. the new album is great" then only play Speed of Light
Which is then dropped three shows in for Wrathchild.

I was very disappointed at how little Priest played off Redeemer. What's the point of even making an album at that point?

I love when a band has the confidence do to what Maiden is doing. Hell, when I saw Symphony X last year they played the first 7 tracks off their new album in a row. Although I love to hear the songs I know, it's really awesome to see new stuff hit so hard and so well.

Back