The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Went to the Trieste, Italy show last night, and it was pretty good. It was somewhat special for me as I went to university at Trieste and seeing the band live at Piazza Unita' (the beautiful main city square) was just spectacular.

The band was firing on all cylinders and having fun. I arrived at the venue in the nick of time, at 9 PM exactly, so I wasn't able to get too much ahead, to my surprise (the closest I got was a few meters in front of the mixing desk). The people in the areas behind the mix desk didn't know the new songs so I thought that was a bit bland, and went ahead until I encountered a group that knew the new songs as well. I guess the reason why the crowd was so dense even this far from the stage was the fact that the fan pit was very big, at least 2-3 thousand people from what I see on the photos. There was about 15 thousand people total.

Regarding the new songs, IESF, SoL and BoS worked pretty well live, TRATB and TOAC not so much. TRATB I don't like on the album, especially the "engineered" whoah-ohs, but TOAC I do like. However, it dragged too much, in my opinion. Those irregular rhythm breaks during the chorus don't translate well when the band isn't completely in sync, especially with Nicko trying to add more notes on the snare. Death or Glory is great, but I agree with someone a few pages back that Bruce has taken it a bit too far with the monkey mask and two plush monkeys that he had with himself.

Apart from that, Powerslave was fucking huge, maybe the highlight of the show for me. HBTN always great, I missed it. Blood Brothers was great as an encore, that Janick solo still one of the best in Maiden's catalogue.

I won't bother you with pictures of the band, but I will give you this one shot of the square and stage (taken from the local newspaper):

image.jpg
But you forgot the most important thing: Nicko's arse. (Bruce pulled down his spandex pants after Iron Maiden.)

Damn! I knew I had forgotten to write something! :D :D :D Yeah, Bruce pulled down his pants, that was funny :D The band was having a great time, all in all, especially Bruce.

Split show done.
It was immense. Immense!. Full to the top, 50(c) inside :)

P.S. of couse, going to write a short review but right now I'm still 'in the zone' so I can't think straight.

Last edited:
And confirmed on the official site as well:

"
Iron Maiden’s The Book of Souls World Tour has been on the road since late February, playing to over 1.5 million fans with 72 shows in 36 countries and six continents. They will play the final show on Thursday, 4 August in Germany at Wacken Open Air Festival. ARTE Concert is going to feature the entire iconic performance on Livestream. The spectacular gig will get lavish camera attention and can be accessed anywhere in the world – a sensational experience for anyone who cannot get to the show.
Iron Maiden manager Rod Smallwood says:
"We decided to finish the tour at Wacken as it is the ideal way to end this magical tour playing to 80,000 core metal fans at this legendary Metal festival. Wacken has become such as international event with many thousands of fans from many other countries around the world joining and celebrating with the German fans so it is perfect for the final show of a memorable tour. Everywhere we’ve played the fans have been amazing and the reaction to the new songs and stage show has been phenomenal. The band has loved every minute on stage.
So when Wacken and ARTE asked us to consider a live stream of our performance there we jumped at the chance to give our fans an end of tour gift. Streaming this final show live globally allows us to thank the many fans we played to so far, and, for those who couldn’t get to see us this time round, a chance to see just how spectacular the live concert is and what they missed! ”
Wolfgang Bergmann (ARTE): “The festival summer by ARTE concert is heading for an exceptional highlight, showing a live stream of British legends Iron Maiden performing their final show of an incredible tour at the Wacken Open Air. An audience of millions, in Europe and for the first time worldwide, know by now that ARTE is taking the festivals to anywhere you are.”
Holger Hübner/Thomas Jensen (ICS/Wacken): “We are incredibly happy to be able to give all these Iron Maiden and Wacken Open Air fans, worldwide, this highlight at the close of the spectacular ‘Book of Souls’ Tour. Heavy Metal fans are the best fans in the world, and Iron Maiden fans are unparalleled. It is so brilliant that everybody who could not get a ticket for the W:O:A, will be able to enjoy this ‘Night To Remember’.”

Iron Maiden at Wacken Open Air with The Book Of Souls World Tour 2016. On Thursday, 4 August, from 9.30 pm CET.
Exclusive and worldwide on Livestream at http://concert.arte.tv/de/wacken and www.wacken.com."

Fantastic. I hope they're gonna give their 100% for this show. After all, they don't have to worry about the next one... ;) I just hope Bruce won't be tired on that day. Overall it's going to be interesting to see a pro-shot recording of a tour's final show and assess band's form after a pretty extensive tour.

Here's a little longer review from my point of view on Maiden's last night show in Split 27.07.2016. This was my 10th gig, I was in Headbanger's Pit, saw them last time 3 years ago, went with very colorfull group of people (music reviewer, guy who listened Maiden in mid 80's but this was his first gig, casual Maiden listener, first time heavy-metal concert goer and so on). I wrote this because I'm going to compare this show with some previous that I've been to and my point of view with other that I've talked after the show. So...

This is the first thing that I have to mention because it was definitely one of the worst sounds that I've experienced, not on Maiden gig, but on all the gigs that I've been to overall. I was on Janick side, 4-5 meters from the barrier and it was so bad that it diminished my experience on this gig noticably. Rest of the arena wasn't so peachy either, people that I've been with were on the stands on the other side of the arena mentioned that there were a lot of problems with the sound. Huge and instant changes in Bruce's vocal, muffled sounds between the guitars (didn't hear at least 50% of the solo's), overall sound "too big and crispy" and when Steve did the back vocals I almost couldn't hear anything else other than him. Looking/listening videos that I made it doesn't sound so bad, so maybe it's due to good camera on mobile or maybe I need to start wearing earplugs at gig. However, there were some songs, if somebody played me the middle of the song and asked me which song is it, I think I would need at least 30 seconds to recognize the part. It really did put me off on some parts that I expected to enjoy on new songs or used to enjoy on songs that I've already heard live.

I don't think I've ever saw them this playfull/cheerfull and "live". Only 2 members that I didn't notice any change from 3 years ago were Dave and Steve. Dave really looked like a guy enjoys playing and having fun on stage, Steve on the other side was classic general taking his army into battle - passionate, focused, dedicated and really into it. Janick looked/played way more agressive than I used to remember, at some points he even looked pissed, but not his usually having-fun-pissed, it was more like f**k-yeah-pissed. It was interesting to see that side of him, maybe it's also due to that golden earing that I've noticed and makes him look like pirate somehow. I also noticed (or it seemed to me) that Adrian is get more relaxed with every tour. He always looked "stiff" somehow but last night he managed to keep his rocker stand but looked more relaxed in a way "I'm glad that I'm here and I enjoy it". Couldn't comment Nicko to much due to the fact that he's almost "invisible" at most of the shows that I've been but, althought he looked like he enjoys the show more than the rest, he seemed withdrawn and humble. I know it sounds weird, but Nicko who is usually the person who is goofing around the most seemed humble last night somehow. And now Bruce. A lot of time has passed since the rollercoaster of news (sickness-new album-beggining of the tour) that got most people worried about his vocals. As far as I could tell (due to poor sound) he sounded good last night. On the other hand energy was amazing! Hands down to a 58-year old who can manage the gigs at THAT level night after night. I still dream of idea for fundraiser/startup project for his monument. He is still the person that I adore, respect and look to, but.... His sheneningans have gotten out of hand. At some moments he reminded me of a grandad who tries to amuse his grandchildren. As I've said, his energy and frontmanship were amazing, but for me there were a lot of his WTF moments that somehow put me off. More of that in setlist reviews. On the other hand, his speeches/rantings have really gained a class. I remember on some shows he started talking and it looked like he had no idea what he wanted to say or how he wanted to finish his sentence. Last night (and on this tour) his speeches were longer, but more precise, direct and with much better general message. Two thumbs up for Bruce speeches.

Croatian/Balkanian crowds always deliver and last night was no exception. 10 000 strong crowd really seemed unified on some moments in almost packed arena. But... Maybe I was standing surrounded by more "casual" listens, but the people arround me looked like they're not into the show at all. Only few people around me were jumping, clapping, headbanging and singing/woo-ing. Maybe it's due to poor sound or setlist (new songs) but there were more than few yawns/looking aroung boringly on some moments. Example: Begining of Powerslave, I immediately go ape-shit (THE EYE OF HOOOOOORUS!!!!) and 3 guys in front of me looked each other bored with question: "Should we go for beer?" and then they just went away! 4 meters from the barrier you could walk from one side of the stage to another without touching anybody. Now, I don't have anything against that since I was really close to barrier without someone's armpit in my face, but some more engagement wouldn't hurt. Althought people from the stands said it looked packed on the floor there were some huge gaps in the back of the Fan Pit. Of course, in Fan Pit there were kids, casual listeners, families, people who usually stand still during the gig but being the only person jumping while other 50 around you stand still kills a moment litlle bit. Classics (FOTD, Trooper, NOTB ) really engaged every single person around me and whole arena and it was wonderful to participate in that even throught middle of the song everybody wore off (maybe it was due to huge heat/humidity) but still - it was increadible experince. New songs (or some other songs in the setlist) however looked increadibly bleak in crowd.

First of all, I knew the setlist and I think it is really good combination of new album, classics and few deep cuts. About month ago I started listening to all albums in hope that I will forget the setlist (or at least the order of it) and I did it. Some of them really surprised me last night (Blood Brothers in the encore as the example). As a fan I must say setlist was awesome - casual listeners didn't like it so much. All of the people who heard the new album and had bad critics about it said the new songs sound much better live and have better opinion of the album now. Now, a few words about each song...

If Eternity Should Fail - Awesome opener. Both on record and live. Bruce's intro with those harmonies worked wonders on the album and it really gave me chills live. Opening video was also a really good warm-up to Bruce's apparition and I must say I adore that part (my voice immediately cracked on the first word: "Here is a soul of a man!!!!!"). Even on that intro video I noticed some sound problems but I really enjoyed the opening of the show – a real uptempo arousal of the athmosphere. Especially after the 2nd chorus when the solo's kick in. What I didn't expect is that they're going to play the outro („Necropolis“ part). I didn't like it (since I don't like it even on the album) and it seemed that general audience was a little confused as well. IMO they could just skip live and move straight to Speed of Light, this outro somehow „slows“ the beging of Maiden show which is usually starts with 2 back-to-back songs.
Speed of Light – As I've expected it sounds way better live than on record and I can see why they chose it for 1st single. Guitar riff intro and on verse sounded very heavier, bridge harmonies shred throught the arena and Bruce looked impresive on chorus fronting the stage. After the song Bruce made a little speach about England „stealing“ best Croatian coach, and this showed me that Bruce really perfected his social interactivness with the crowd. As far as I've noticed on this tour, if not by the performance, he made every show unique with his speaches and each speach was „local“ based. (For those who don't know – that Croatian coach is Slaven Bilić, former West Ham player and current West Ham coach who is actually from Split and also a big Maiden fan.)
Children of the Damned – I don't praise this song as some other fans do but I like it and I liked it last night and on some other shows that I've heard it. What I didn't like is it's place in the setlist. Usually Maiden shows „fly by“, but this one seemed longer due to the up-and-down moments (or to be more exact fast-and-slow moments). I think it would probably work better later in this setlist. This way (since the begining of IESF) we have slow intro, fast song, slow outro, fast song, slow intro, fast song etc. It somehow „suffocates“ the energy in the crowd, or at least it seemed to me on this gig.
Tears of a Clown – Nicko did right to persuade rest of the band to play it live because audience really gets into this one, even if they hear it for the first time. Rocking intro, balladic verse and really melodic chorus is the perfect combination that made this song at least enjoyable to everybody.
The Red and The Black – This one (along with BOS) was the one I was waiting for live. Since I've heard it for the first time I love the whoa melodies and the „chorus“ after that. I could see it's live potential but wouldn't be surprised if it didn't made the setlist due to it's and other songs lenght on the album. But it did, and it was one of the most anticipating live moments for me. Unfortunatelly, I experienced it watered down. As I've said, sound was awful and immediately after bass intro I started to look/listen confused at them. In some moments it seemed like they're completely out of tune (Bruce singing and guitar melody with the drums seemed like seconds before/after one another). The whoa parts were great, a Harris masterpiece that really got everybody involved and if not for anything else I enjoyed the song primarely to whoa-ing with Bruce and rest of the crowd. But everything after that was a wreck. „Chorus“ part is one of my favourite moments on the album and it was completely butchered. All I could hear was the drums and rytham guitars that sounded like mid-pace steam train. During solos (that I could only see but not hear) I gave up on this one and just started waiting for the next song praying that people at soundboard will start to do their job.
The Trooper – I think this is the first time I listened this song live and didn't got an elbow to the teeth. Every gig they start playing this one crowd goes berserk and I love it even if it gave me bruises every time. This time crowd did go wild but not full-berserk. Maybe it's due to Bruce otherwise waving the flag in 1st rows and pumping the audience being changed by Bruce playing the fisherman trying to caught Janick. I actually like his goofiness on stage but there is a visible distance between spontaneous genuine goofiness and planned acted goofines.
Powerslave – Absolute gem of the show. Even Bruce wrestler mask didn't put me off. This song has so much raw energy live that completely blew my mind. Somehow it fits perfetcly in this current tour, thematicly wise. Even if I could only hear bits of solo's this is the only one that bad sound system and didn't ruin for me.
Death or Glory – I immediately forgot the „monkey dance“ when I heard those increased intro melodies that sounded way better live then on album but then I saw Bruce. I'm not kind of guy who points finger and says: „This is metal and this is not heavy metal“. But! If throught the whole song frontman wears monkey around his neck, monkey mask on his head, imitates monkey, does the monkey dance and encourages audience to do the same – I find it cringeworthy for even pop star frontmans let alone frontman of one of the biggest metal acts today. I'm usually pretty open-minded but there is no situation where I would „enjoy“ monkey-headed/dancing heavy-metal frontman singing about death. Thumb down for this one.
Book of Souls – For most people highlight of the show and for the right reason. As far as I could tell they sounded good on this one but at that moment I gave up from listening and try to concentrate on just enjoying the show. Big Eddie is definitely the most realistic one so far. All other walking Eddie always had that some kind of robot dance/walk but this one really looked like pissed monster on stage and even if his and Bruce interaction looked gimmicky I really enjoy it. Pyro definitely surprised me after the 2nd chorus and it gave the song theatrical effect even for the people who heard Maiden for the first time in their life.
Hallowed Be Thy Name – I didn't hear it (because I couldn't hear him clearly) but a lot of people said Bruce was strugling with this one. It really was powerfull scene to see him singing with the noose, but at one moment he started kicking that stone pillar with the red glowing face in it (I guess he was trying to rotate it so the audience could see the face) that really turned this cool moment into Spinal Tap moment. I also recall that (even I tried to enjoy the song) I was thinking did Bruce chaned his outfit during this gig more than Axl Rose during his gigs.
Fear of the Dark – I can't remember when was the last time I listen to this one at home. With time it came so overplayed that for years I even skipped this one when it came on my mp3/Youtube. But it gives me chills everytime I hear it live nevertheless. This one is where the audience participation propells it to the skies and, althought is „chewed up“ in my ears, I start singing with rest of crowd like bewitched. Live it really shows why this one is one of their biggest hits – it just pefect for crowd participation.
Iron Maiden – Nothing much to say about the song, but definitely something to say about big Eddie. Again, one of the most realistic big Eddie's that I've ever seen. I don't know if it's due to painting that they did to him or the movements with wires but somehow it really looked like that is a real live huge Eddie peaking his head above the stage. At this point I'm also going to mention the rest of the stage production. Killer Krew really outdid themselves this time. With scenery, back drops, light production, big and walking Eddie, lianas – everything. I probably missed something but nevertheless, they really put up an show for average concert goer to remember.
The Number of The Beast – This time and every other time – NOTB is pefect song for encore. „Woe to you, oh Earth and Sea“ gives me chills everytime live that I'm going to rate it even above Churchill's Speach. I also adored the pyro on this one. I remember 6 or 7 years ago when somebody on the IMOC forum commented that this song has perfect lyrics for pyro and they could fit into any part of the song. And they did just that! Not just the in the intro and choruses but all the fire relates lyrics („torches blazed“, „the fires are burning bright“, „I'll make you burn“ etc.) got an extra boost from pyro that was really amazing to watch. Two thumbs up for this one!
Blood Brother – The song that I completely forgot and I'm glad about it. I think this one is perfect for the encore due to camaradie that it has. Before the song Bruce gave a speach that looked really sincere but he also mention that phrase „love, life“ for the 3rd or 4th time that evening that started reminding me about Hetfield's good-old-grandpa advice speeches. Nevertheless, the song has a powerful message and beautiful melody that really touches the audience especially at the end of the show.
Wasted Years – As a fan I must say this is a perfect closing song. Again, intro was so buchered that I was only waiting for the Bruce to start singing so I could sing with him and neutralize the sound that was coming from the speakers. The rest of the audience, even if they did enjoy the song, didn't see it as the end of the show. A lot of people (that haven't seen Maiden show) were commenting: „I didn't thought they were going to end to show like that“. Since I knew Maiden play 3 songs in the encore and that's it, I didn't understand their confusion but now I see the advantages of „Running Free“ as encore and presenting all the members of the band and interaction with the crowd.

I'm glad I went. When I saw them 3 years ago I said to myself: „History tour maybe, but new album tour is a must!“. Even if I didn't like the album so much I decided to go and did enjoy the new songs as I could. Again, I must note that sound from my point of view/listen was awful and I was several times completely put off due to muffled sound. The band didn't loose the energy that had 3 years ago, stage production was way better but Bruce's frontmanship was all over the place. This isn't one of my favourite Maiden gigs but it wasn't the worst one either. Alas, I believe that even the worst Maiden shows I've been to were better than some other that I rate highly just due to the fact that I saw my favourite band live again.

Back