The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

I think he was the only guy there who wanted to see Wrathchild again.
Guy next to me was mad that they didn't do Run To the Hills. I seriously don't get it, they called it The Book of Souls Tour, what else did they expect??

Also was it just me or did the crowd seem a bit dead during Fear of the Dark? I felt like it gets a better reception back in Denver, where the crowds are nowhere near as energetic as what I saw in Vegas.

Anyway, quite possibly the best concert I've ever seen. Highlights were all TBOS songs, Children of the Damned, Powerslave (that was a huge surprise!), and Blood Brothers. Also, The Trooper was actually a lot more fun than usual. Glad they gave Run To the Hills, 2MTM, and Running Free a break. Wasted Years in the spot that Running Free usually goes was a nice change of pace and it works extremely well as a closer. I don't think I would've made any changes, I understand they kinda have to play FOTD/Hallowed/NOTB at every show, even if I'm tired of them. They're always fun anyway.
I still think not playing Empire is a missed opportunity and the only other TBOS I wanted to see live was Man of Sorrows. But every TBOS song that they did play worked amazingly well live and some (particularly Death or Glory) were even more enjoyable live than on the album. I also would've liked to have seen more stuff from the reunion albums, but it was a pretty packed setlist, not sure how they'd fit anything else in. Would be fun to see a more reunion era focused tour next time. But overall the setlist was pretty much perfect, it flowed really well and there were no dull moments (contrary to what a lot of people around me seemed to think).

I think I saw some people earlier complaining that COTD was the "rare" song Bruce alluded to, at first I kind of felt the same way as they did play it not too long ago but the concert totally changed my mind on that. Seeing the crowd reaction when they started it was pretty amazing and sure enough, after the song my dad said something to the effect of "they never play this one!". Neither of us had seen it live, so from that perspective of someone who doesn't actively follow the setlists of every tour, it would seem like a rarity. I think Live After Death is the latest official live recording of it too. It was so awesome live either way.

I still can't wrap my head around how good Bruce sounded, especially after having throat cancer. And to think just a year ago people were arguing whether he would even sing again.

Guy next to me was mad that they didn't do Run To the Hills. I seriously don't get it, they called it The Book of Souls Tour, what else did they expect??

Also was it just me or did the crowd seem a bit dead during Fear of the Dark? I felt like it gets a better reception back in Denver, where the crowds are nowhere near as energetic as what I saw in Vegas.

Anyway, quite possibly the best concert I've ever seen. Highlights were all TBOS songs, Children of the Damned, Powerslave (that was a huge surprise!), and Blood Brothers. Also, The Trooper was actually a lot more fun than usual. Glad they gave Run To the Hills, 2MTM, and Running Free a break. Wasted Years in the spot that Running Free usually goes was a nice change of pace and it works extremely well as a closer. I don't think I would've made any changes, I understand they kinda have to play FOTD/Hallowed/NOTB at every show, even if I'm tired of them. They're always fun anyway.
I still think not playing Empire is a missed opportunity and the only other TBOS I wanted to see live was Man of Sorrows. But every TBOS song that they did play worked amazingly well live and some (particularly Death or Glory) were even more enjoyable live than on the album. I also would've liked to have seen more stuff from the reunion albums, but it was a pretty packed setlist, not sure how they'd fit anything else in. Would be fun to see a more reunion era focused tour next time. But overall the setlist was pretty much perfect, it flowed really well and there were no dull moments (contrary to what a lot of people around me seemed to think).

I think I saw some people earlier complaining that COTD was the "rare" song Bruce alluded to, at first I kind of felt the same way as they did play it not too long ago but the concert totally changed my mind on that. Seeing the crowd reaction when they started it was pretty amazing and sure enough, after the song my dad said something to the effect of "they never play this one!". Neither of us had seen it live, so from that perspective of someone who doesn't actively follow the setlists of every tour, it would seem like a rarity. I think Live After Death is the latest official live recording of it too. It was so awesome live either way.

I still can't wrap my head around how good Bruce sounded, especially after having throat cancer. And to think just a year ago people were arguing whether he would even sing again.

Pretty much agree with all of that, though I thought Death or Glory was not that great .. not bad at all, but my least favorite of TBOS songs they played easily.

COTD was a cool addition

Bruce really was amazing, he sang great ... not great for a guy who had throat cancer ... but just great for anyone. Factor in how recently he had treatment for it, it is just unreal that he can sing and run around like that.

There are always songs I rather would have seen ... but I really cannot complain much about this set list. I thought they paced the songs well mixing in new and old ... shorter and longer ones. The show had a good flow to it.

I don't know if I said that here before, but expect that Maiden drops NOTB and FOTD is the equivalent of expecting Metallica to drop Enter Sandman/Nothing Else Matters or Sabbath drops Iron Man/Paranoid. Those songs are the main symbol of the band, the one that everyone will know...it's a celebration to their history.

I'll say more: Only a few bands in the world have the guts to drop songs as classic as Hallowed, RttH and 2 Minutes. See if Stones is dropping Sympathy for the Devil, or Purple is dropping Highway Star. Maiden is, at the same time, very conservative and bold on their sets.

Try going to a group of Priest fans and say "Oh, they could drop Painkiller and Breaking the Law. I want so much to hear Judas Rising and Lochness"

I don't know if I said that here before, but expect that Maiden drops NOTB and FOTD is the equivalent of expecting Metallica to drop Enter Sandman/Nothing Else Matters or Sabbath drops Iron Man/Paranoid. Those songs are the main symbol of the band, the one that everyone will know...it's a celebration to their history.

I'll say more: Only a few bands in the world have the guts to drop songs as classic as Hallowed, RttH and 2 Minutes. See if Stones is dropping Sympathy for the Devil, or Purple is dropping Highway Star. Maiden is, at the same time, very conservative and bold on their sets.

Try going to a group of Priest fans and say "Oh, they could drop Painkiller and Breaking the Law. I want so much to hear Judas Rising and Lochness"

I don't disagree with that beyond they have dropped NOTB and FOTD at least occasionally. Overall, I think Maiden does a solid job with their set lists, the history/new stuff pattern is not a bad way to approach it for a band that just has so many good songs

I felt the same way as you before the show, but being in that sold out arena during Bruce's speech and subsequent performance of Blood Brothers was something truly magical.

Oh, I'm sure that my eyes will shine at Blood Brothers and WY (it'll be my first Maiden gig, after all). I'm just ranting because it's fun to rant about sets hahaha. They can play The Apparition and The Angel and the Gambler that I'll love

FOTD shouldn't have been played on either of the last 2 history tours

Does Maiden do like Slayer and separate their guitars through the left and right speakers?
I believe they do. I didn't hear very much of Janick other than his Acoustic on TBOS.

Yeah they did seem a bit dead on FOTD. I think the last two had worn the crowd down. I think the only dull moment was Death or Glory. They played it way too slow!! It felt like Jazz.

Blood Brothers is honestly one of my favorite live songs from post reunion Maiden. My first Maiden concert was during the first leg of TFF tour and Bruce gave a speech just before it about his mentor and friend Dio who had recently passed at the time. I always loved Blood Brothers but that really cemented it was one of my top Maiden songs, especially live.

Janick is centered in the mix AFAIK and I wouldn't be surprised if he's mixed lower than everyone else on top of that.

[QUOTE See if Stones is dropping Sympathy for the Devil][/QUOTE]

StormTheTrooper-Funny you mentioned the Rolling Stones on their Fan Site Forums setlist complaints is an on going thing. Die hard fans tired of Sympathy, Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Jumpin' Jack, etc. I saw the Stones on the 4th of July at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. When they tear into Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction, Tumbling Dice and other "War Horses" as Stones fan call them, NO ONE COMPLAINS. They erupt into cheers. I've got a feeling Maiden is the same way. When you hear the opening to The Trooper you can't help but throw your fist in the air. I've seen the Stones, The Who, Page/Plant, Metallica, KISS, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, and a whole lot more. On April 6th in Chicago, I FINALLY get to cross Iron Maiden off my bucket list! Hoping they keep Powerslave in the set.

When us Maiden fans say, "They should drop FOTD for say, Alexander the Great" for example. How does this relate to say...

Megadeth should drop Peace Sells for Disconnect
Metallica should drop Sad but True for 2X4
Judas Priest should drop Hell Bent for Leather for Locked In?

I mean, nobody really questions those decisions because the former songs are far better than the latter.
A band like Dream Theater who in my estimation makes quality songs throughout typically change up their setlist during album tours in an alarming,but healthy rate. They always do Pull Me Under and Metropolis but that's it. Every concert I've heard on CD/DVD has been consistently different to the point where I have heard multiple complete albums live spanning years of concerts.

Is it the fans that make the Maiden songs better than they are or is it just Maiden makes better music than the rest?

When us Maiden fans say, "They should drop FOTD for say, Alexander the Great" for example. How does this relate to say...

Megadeth should drop Peace Sells for Disconnect
Metallica should drop Sad but True for 2X4
Judas Priest should drop Hell Bent for Leather for Locked In?

I mean, nobody really questions those decisions because the former songs are far better than the latter.
A band like Dream Theater who in my estimation makes quality songs throughout typically change up their setlist during album tours in an alarming,but healthy rate. They always do Pull Me Under and Metropolis but that's it. Every concert I've heard on CD/DVD has been consistently different to the point where I have heard multiple complete albums live spanning years of concerts.

Is it the fans that make the Maiden songs better than they are or is it just Maiden makes better music than the rest?
Its honestly a bit of both I think, not so much that Maiden makes better music or has better fans, but that the combination of great music and great fans just makes every show into something special. Every Maiden show I've been to has had such a wide variety of fans from every age range and every walk of life, ticket prices for Maiden are generally very well prices especially given the caliber of the show that just about anyone who is a fan can get to the show(not including transport/housing). When all these people are brought together for one singular event, it truly becomes an awe inspiring time.

Metallica and Judas Priest are both good examples of bands who do the hits every night but also manage to mix it up with some rarities. Judas Priest did the equivalent of playing Alexander the Great when they played Blood Red Skies on the Epitaph tour.

So it's very possible to have a setlist of rarities mixed with the greatest hits, it's just that Maiden usually chooses not to do that.

And those comparisons don't relate. 2x4 isn't a song that hardcore Metallica fans (afaik) are dying to hear live, same with Locked In for Priest. Again, there were similar demands from the Priest fans to play Blood Red Skies and it happened eventually.

I was using random obscure songs even though Locked In was a single in 1986. Just nothing comparable to Alexander the Great.

Metallica dont release albums so they can play practically whatever they want anyways

10400173_10153319252667051_6634462896595603503_n.jpg

The guys behind three amigos. Met Colin last year when he was working for Natalie Imbruglia's guitarist. Very nice guy.

Janick is centered in the mix AFAIK and I wouldn't be surprised if he's mixed lower than everyone else on top of that.
So if you stay at Dave and Adrian's side you can't hear Janick very well? even at the solos?

Seeing Powerslave live was definitely the highlight of my night in Ft. Lauderdale. Totally did not see that one coming. Also, Wasted Years rocked as a closer.

Back