The Nomad

How good is The Nomad on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Nomad

Cosmiceddie said:
Tell me, which part(s) would you edit then?

I would start with the opening 40 seconds of the song and play each of the (I'm not a musician--so I will call them bars (?)) bars at least 1 fewer time. I would also ditch the last two choruses (around 3:50 and 7:40) and have the second half (really from 3:30 on) just be instrumental like Hallowed or To Tame a Land, and trim a little of the repetition. The additional choruses don't really add anything to the song. I think the song would be an all time classic coming in around 7-7:20 in total length.

This song (and several Maiden songs really) seem like they were mapped out on paper and didn't come together organically.

This song played an important part in getting me into Maiden. I've always been a nutter for everything that has to do with the Middle East, and I've always loved the image of bedouin nomads riding through the desert... and this song brought that image before my eyes perfectly. I'm not overly excited by the way the verses are sung, and I have to admit that the lyrics used to sound a lot cooler to me when I was 16.
Like everyone, I was disappointed to find out that the instrumental part was ripped off, but at least they ripped off on the highest possible level, and made it infinitely better. I always found the Beckett song somewhat boring, whereas this has me close my eyes and find myself in the sand dunes of Arabia. And ever since I found almost identical parts in Dvorak's 9th symphony and Beethoven's 9th, I always felt that that is something even the greatest of the great do... so curse me, I am not too bothered by it.
9/10.

I still wonder why they've never played this masterpiece live. Is it because of the 'stolen' instrumental section or because the chorus is very demanding to sing for Bruce...

Cosmiceddie said:
I still wonder why they've never played this masterpiece live. Is it because of the 'stolen' instrumental section or because the chorus is very demanding to sing for Bruce...

Because it's too long!  ;)

Very atmospheric, and does a great job of invoking an image of some eastern desertland. The Beckett connection is a slight downer, but a good song in its own right. 8/10

Even though this song is a bit weak, I agree that the atmosphere created is really unique. Still, with Bruce's somewhat weaker vocals, I give it 8/10.

9 out of 10... This is another one off BNW that took awhile to grow on me. I love the mid eastern vibe, and Bruce sounds awesome. Who gives a shit about the Beckett controversy. All rock n roll is ripped off from SOMETHING else.

taker64 said:
Who gives a shit about the Beckett controversy. All rock n roll is ripped off from SOMETHING else.

Come on. Some stuff is definitely more original than other stuff.

Why do I love Maiden? Not because they are part of all rock and roll which is ripped off from something else.
They have their own sound and I don't see what's wrong about noticing the moments where they copy others.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Even though this song is a bit weak, I agree that the atmosphere created is really unique. Still, with Bruce's somewhat weaker vocals, I give it 8/10.

Weaker vocals by Bruce?...Where?

Reactions: jcv
Forostar said:
Come on. Some stuff is definitely more original than other stuff.

Why do I love Maiden? Not because they are part of all rock and roll which is ripped off from something else.
They have their own sound and I don't see what's wrong about noticing the moments where they copy others.
Don't get me wrong, it was a blanket statement. Rock n roll is the bastard child of R&B and C&W. Everything that came along after it's inception carries elements of of the parentage. Johnny Cash for example. He perfected a "gallop" when Steve and the boys were still on the tit...

Naturally, everyone can adjust their own amount of minimalization of this issue, but I'd like to point out that we're not just talking about style here. This is about exact melodies and chord progression.

Incredible interlude part, one of my favorite Maiden moments. It's actually a 8/10 but the interlude increases it to a low 9/10.

I would have given this song a 10, but after learning they STOLE the interlude it's an 8...

I don't mind if some parts are stolen, this song deserves 10/10. Another great performance by Bruce, and great riffs. It's not really similar, but somehow the song reminds me of Powerslave.

Reactions: jcv
Back