1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Nomad

Discussion in 'Brave New World' started by Anonymous, Apr 5, 2004.

?

How good is The Nomad on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

25.0%
  2. 9

11.1%
  3. 8

27.8%
  4. 7

22.2%
  5. 6

8.3%
  6. 5

5.6%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nick2632

Nick2632 Nomad

This is my 2nd favorite song on Brave New World after The Thin Line Between Love And Hate, these 2 songs completely make the entire album IMHO, though I absolutely despise Out Of The Silent Planet between the 2 songs. Of course my 2 favorite songs of the album weren't performed live, at least in Rock In Rio. This song is rather unique, very strange atmosphere fitting the song.
    9/10.. It's a great song.

Cosmiceddie likes this.
  2. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

A musical masterpiece, despite some average lyrics. The Eastern melodies are fantastic and the progressive shifts in rhythm are inspired. Bruce belts out pseudo-mystical lyrics about a mysterious nomad wandering the desert who may be a spirit, or a killer, or a god reincarnate, or…something. There’s a truly bizarre line about “genius” that makes no sense. The guitar solo section is brilliant, however, with each player getting a chance to shine in sequence. Murray’s final solo is perfect, I honestly don’t think any musical section has ever been more perfect for his playing style. The tone of the song and the (Phrygian? Mixolydian?) scales Davey plays are perfectly complimentary. Musically, The Nomad is a triumph, it has a unique power and beauty all its own. Lyrically, it’s more reminiscent of something from the Piece of Mind era (To Tame a Land obviously comes to mind). I wish the song had ended with a moody instrumental. The final verse and chorus feel tacked on and unnecessary.

Cosmiceddie likes this.
  3. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Gott Mit Uns

Yeah, it's time for me to attack that holy rock which MaidenFans everywhere know of as Brave New World. Let's start this evening's siege with The Nomad, which people everywhere consider to be one of the album's best. Eh. It's not as bad as I thought the first time I heard it, but despite re-listens I'm still not 100% impressed. A song about a nomad is potentially interesting. Here, however, I find myself going, "It's a song about a fucking nomad..." The choruses aren't that great, though I do like the music this song has, so that brings it higher up in my ratings. Still, Becket rip-off or not, I'm only giving it a 7/10.

Bite me.

:ninja: