The Nomad

How good is The Nomad on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Nomad

Well, the song mostly sounds great, but there are two things that bother me about it:

First, the transition into the main verse, first at 1:10 and then again after the instrumental section at 7:49, feels very "cut-and-paste". The transition just doesn't flow well.

Second, as has probably been discussed a dozen times on here before: The oh so haunting instrumental part from 4:38 to 7:49 is a direct rip-off from this song. It may be meant as a tribute, for all I know, but it means the best part of the song is hardly original Maiden work ...

Without these two things, the song would be a high 9, but with them I rate it an 8.

Only Adrian Smith can understand the excellence of this song, but the production is little... ehhh...

A very high 9.

Eddies Wingman said:
No, Sir, that would be Alexander.

To me, not even 'Alexander The Great' can keep up with 'The Nomad'. It cannot even touch 'The Thin Line Between Love And Hate'.

Nomad easily over Alex.

I voted Nomad a 7, while I really like this song, this is one of many examples of 2000+ era Maiden that could benefit from EDITING. Longest Day is the most egregious example. Too much repetition and the end is drawn out too far to push this one up to 8 (or 9). Would love to hear it live. Would have been so much better than Dream of Mirrors or The Merc.

Habberdasher said:
Nomad easily over Alex.

I voted Nomad a 7, while I really like this song, this is one of many examples of 2000+ era Maiden that could benefit from EDITING.

Tell me, which part(s) would you edit then?

The Nomad has insanely masterful Bruce vocals. The riffs and rhythms are majestic and I love the eastern flavor. This song has everything in it to be one of the best of the album.

BUT:

Eddies Wingman said:
as has probably been discussed a dozen times on here before: The oh so haunting instrumental part from 4:38 to 7:49 is a direct rip-off from this song. It may be meant as a tribute, for all I know, but it means the best part of the song is hardly original Maiden work ...

Without these two things, the song would be a high 9, but with them I rate it an 8.

*Agrees 100% with the above*

9/10. I'm not overly concerned about the instrumental part being ripped off or not, I still think it fits that track brilliantly.

Eddies Wingman said:
No, Sir, that would be Alexander.
Nope, it still will be The Nomad. ;)

Reactions: jcv

I wonder if it was daves or steves idea to copy the lifes shadow part. A great track bujt i find it a little too long and it gets boring.

8/10

I love the music and vocals but there are two things that take away 2 points for me.

The lyrics
The fact that the awesome middle section isn't even theirs.

8/10

Great epic atmosphere on this one, particularly in the middle section. Chorus and pre-chorus both miss the mark somewhat somewhat. Very solid seven.

A hugely atmospheric middle section, but due to it basically being a rip-off (see Eddies Wingman's post), it can't get over an 8.

OK I've been waiting for this day to express my feelings towards this song.

The Nomad in my opinion is one the best Maiden songs and is on par with "Hallowed" and "Rime" for me. Always on my Top5 songs.

I just can't get enough of this song. Have to listen to it a few times everyday.

In short, this song is like "Paschendale" for LooseCannon.

I worship this song.

10000000000 / 10

7. Rip off, stupid lyrics. OTOH good song with a lot of moods.

I have always loved this song, ever since I first heard it. The main riff and solos are badass.

I am a bit disappointed by the mid-part-was-ripped-off thing, and I would love an emotional solo there, so I'll only give it a 9.

Back