The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

I was more referring to the tone of the films and how they handled the humour and emotion. To me, what made the first film stand out was its genuinely funny and, at times, heart wrenching moments. In Vol. 2, I felt like it had this strange sense of overconfidence, this undertone of "Well, people liked that in the first one, so let's just do it again but more so" and it didn't really work. For me, at least.

That is my exact same opinion about Vol. 2. It was fine...but it didn't feel as organically funny or emotional as the first one. It relied on the fandom of the first movie to give it emotional weight, which is where actually humor comes from most of the time.

Reading the old early issues of Power Man (the first series about Luke Cage). Did not realize Luke & Claire were an item back then (about issues 20-25)

Claire also leaves Luke with a note in these issues as well. That is where the Netflix series writers got the idea

Iron Fist Season 2 was a gigantic improvement over S1. One of the best MCU seasons. It was improved in every possible way and managed to fix everything Scott Buck fucked up. And it sets up an even better S3.

IF S2 Episode 5 is my favorite of the Marvel Netflix series. Like Luke Cage S2, the ending of IF S2 I did not expect. Quite a twist.

Series two already? I already have a lot of catching up to do; second series' of Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. And now rumour has it Daredevil series three is coming in October :blink:

Ehhhhh...

Edit:

After a second viewing, I'm still not convinced. I know it's early, so I will reserve full judgement until I've seen more, but so far this just looks dull as dishwater. I've only seen Brie Larson before in Kong: Skull Island, which I imagine isn't the best showcase of her talent, but she did absolutely nothing to interest me in this character. People talk of "comic book movie" fatigue a lot and I've always shrugged it off, but this is the first time I'm watching something and feeling like I've seen it a dozen times before. If Marvel are counting on this character to lead the franchise post-Infinity War then I really hope the final product is stronger than this trailer indicates, because if not, they're doomed.

Last edited:
Saw Venom. More humor than I expected. Seems more faithful to the comic than Spider-man 3 was. Enjoyed the soundtrack.

Really enjoy when Venom fights humans. Those scenes were well done but not sure about the fight with the other symbiote at the launch pad. Might need another viewing to make up my mind about that. Sadly no mention of Spider-Man.

There is a good mid-credits scene. However there is NOT an after-credits scene. Instead they just show more footage from the upcoming animated Spider-Man film.

There is a good mid-credits scene.

Haven't seen it, but I've heard things...

Carnage. Hopefully the critical mauling this film got doesn't affect the box office and ruin the chances of a sequel, I've always been really interested in seeing him on screen.

Netflix has cancelled Iron Fist. This is a bit of a shame I think, as the second season was a big improvement on the cumbersome first season. The teaser for season 3 looked interesting.

I am really sad :( I loved S2. Fuck Netflix. Hope the show moves to new Disney streaming service, it'd be a travesty if it never continued.

I actually just finished watching it. I was interested to see where it was going, but Iron Fist S2 was one of the worst of the Netflix seasons so far. My ranking:
Jessica Jones S1
Luke Cage S1
Punisher S1
Daredevil S1
Luke Cage S2
Daredevil S2
Jessica Jones S2
Iron Fist S2
The Defenders
Iron Fist S1

I found Luke Cage I, much like Iron Fist I, was a slow burner will all the good stuff backloaded to the second half of the series. Both second series were considerable improvements, possibly helped by the fact that the main characters were already familiar to the viewer. The first seasons of Iron Fist and Luke Cage seemed to spend too much time introducing the main characters and developing their back stories. I agree with you that Jessica Jones I is the best of the Netflix series though!

I still haven’t watched anything past Defenders. Honestly, with the exception of Daredevil I feel like I’m forcing myself to like these characters.

Luke Cage S1 started out great and halfway through turned from a grounded show into all-out comic book silliness (similar to Daredevil S2). The most interesting part of Jessica Jones for me was David Tennant. Iron Fist was boring, cheesy, and terribly acted.

Finn Jones was the wrong choice for the Danny Rand/Iron Fist character. Honestly, the only character in all of Iron Fist I was invested in was Ward - his journey was interesting. A deeply flawed character who was trying to do better. Iron Fist S1 was so bad that I legitimately turned it off out of disgust at the characters/acting/choices. It felt like everything was wrong, except for David Wenham.

Eh. Couldn't make it past episode 3 of Iron Fist and the character didn't interest me at all in The Defenders so I'm not sad. Wonder if he'll join Luke Cage now?

I found Luke Cage I, much like Iron Fist I, was a slow burner will all the good stuff backloaded to the second half of the series.

I thought all the good stuff in that series was in the first half, it started to lose its way after Cottonmouth was killed off. Honestly, I was more interested in his character than Luke Cage himself. When Diamondback was introduced it started to feel like a completely different series.

I still haven’t watched anything past Defenders. Honestly, with the exception of Daredevil I feel like I’m forcing myself to like these characters.

Luke Cage S1 started out great and halfway through turned from a grounded show into all-out comic book silliness (similar to Daredevil S2). The most interesting part of Jessica Jones for me was David Tennant. Iron Fist was boring, cheesy, and terribly acted.

Your view is almost exactly the same as mine. I haven't watched anything past Defenders, apart from Daredevil Series 3 I didn't really have much interest in doing so. Kilgrave was a great character, I thought he started out genuinely intimidating, then he became the typical "villain but we're supposed to feel sorry for him" that Marvel seem to love. I started out liking Jessica Jones, but her sarcastic, dry quipping got stale quickly.

Last edited:
Back