The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crimson Idol, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

My understanding, from what my nerdy friends have told me, she's supposed to be one of if not the most powerful marvel character in the current MEU.

terrell39 likes this.
  2. Edington

Edington Let's Get Volatile

Aw, a cat.

Well, it's much better than the first trailer at least but I'm still not wowed by it. Maybe this is a good thing, with my expectations so low I'll probably end up enjoying the film a lot more.

I won't lie, I love that shot of her mask coming off and her mohawk dropping.

terrell39 likes this.
  3. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

As well played as the MCEU was, at this point there is obvious fatigue by creators and audience alike. A friend complained that there isn't a single memorable soundtrack or music theme a lá Star Wars, Jaws, Tim Burton's Batman, James Bond, etc. Directors quitting due to creative differences like Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright, because Marvel wants to make a very specific movie. The memorable songs are pop songs, old and new alike, the humor predictable at this point and storylines with no real WOW factor.

In short, low expectations are to be expected.

4. Edington

There's a great video on YouTube about that, by this channel Every Frame A Painting. Worth a watch if you get some time.

Marvel has had some genuinely great (though I still wouldn't say flawless) films, I guess I'm just hopeful that the next film will join those.

5. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

Yup, that's the video he sent me.

My personal favorites are the first Iron Man, Every Captain America installment, The first Avengers and to much lesser extent the first Ant Man. Aside from that they range from Good to Meh. I put Ant-Man under Very Good, because it exceeded my expectations by quite a bit.

Edington likes this.
  6. Edington

Yup, love Cap. Thought the first two were fantastic, Winter Soldier is my favourite of all the MCU films. Civil War was good, but too convoluted with the plot. I also really enjoyed Ant Man, like you I thought it was far better than expected, though I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Edgar Wright's vision.

I don't love Avengers though... I think the only thing it had going for it was seeing all these characters come together, but now they pop up in each other's films all the time that lost its appeal.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  7. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

That's why I only enjoy the first Avengers the most. Seeing them team up like that for the first time was incredible and Whedon did a great job. After that.... all the cross-overs and less than stellar Avengers installments have lost their appeal to me as well.

Let's put it this way, even my MOM enjoyed the first Avengers movie and she HATES sci-fi/hollywood action ¨crap¨ as she calls it lol

8. Edington

Just read that apparently Marvel were the ones who canceled Daredevil. If true, this seems to confirm he's returning to the Disney streaming thing.

Were you not keen on Infinity War?

terrell39 likes this.
  9. Onhell

Onhell Infinite Dreamer

Nope and for a very simple reason. Marvel's incredibly stupid decision to release their release calendar. Why should I care half these people die if their individual sequels have already been announced? Had Marvel kept their mouth shut about what movie is being released when, Infinity War would have been a very powerful movie, specially with Spider-Man. Instead I my reaction was, "Meh, I'll see him again in 2019."

10. Edington

I get where you're coming from, but I think even if Marvel hadn't announced their next slate of films I would just have assumed most of those characters would be returning somehow. I mean...

Spider Man and Black Panther haven't been in the MCU very long and have already proven massively popular

... so no way would they be permanently gone.

Mosh and terrell39 like this.
  11. Randalf

Randalf Educated Fool

I can see where you're coming from, but personally, I feel that differently; I think the characters popping up in each other's films has become pretty natural and usually rather well executed and used part of the films as the universe has grown and it has been very enjoyable for me at least, The Winter Soldier and Ragnarök being one of the best examples. :) Then again, part of the impact, as Russos themselves stated, is the satisfaction of seeing a bunch of certain characters getting together for the first time, which we haven't really seen (before Infinity War) since the first Avengers.

Anyway, I think that the clever use of "visiting" characters and incorporating their own story arcs (like they did with Hulk in Ragnarök) to other heroes' movies might be one of the biggest assets of the future MCU films, since it gives quite lot of chances for variation and a lot different story options and other stuff to keep things relatively fresh.

terrell39 likes this.
  12. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

13. Randalf

Randalf Educated Fool

That's a trailer done right! Not too much spoiling, but it builds tension and feeds the overall hype and theorizing. I hope they won't release too much stuff in the upcoming ones either, as eager as I am to know everything... :D But maybe that's indeed why they souldn't...

14. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

It's more of a teaser, but it's done oh so well.

15. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

16. Edington

Oh definitely, I just meant that I found most of the story and action in the Avengers to be a little dull, but as it was the first time we saw these characters come together I could forgive its other faults. Now that crossovers are becoming more common, that isn't really enough to raise my opinion of it anymore.

Ant Man! Hawkeye/Ronin! Get in!

Randalf likes this.
  17. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

Looks good. I suppose the end credits scene for Captain Marvel will be a teaser for Avengers 4 too.

terrell39 likes this.