The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

The Hobbit....
Yesterday I went to the portrayal of one of my favourite books. The Hobbit is called a children book but if it is, then I certainly thought it was one of the most exciting and adventurous stories I'd read around that age (I was 12 or 13 when I read it). I was looking forward to this movie very much and I'd re-read the book last summer.

Beforehand I was wondering: how on earth could they make 3 epic films on The Hobbit? A book that is 200-something pages.

The answer is simple: add many things that are not in The Hobbit. Some scenes refer to other Tolkien works, such as The Silmarillion, and other stuff was just made up.

So, looking at the proportions, story/scene-wise: what's the difference between the book and the film?
The book has a number of scenes and the film makes them shorter and/or changes them. For balance many non-Hobbit segments are added.

So in short: the film consists of more segments than the book. And most -if not all- segments are shorter.

To be honest, the added segments didn't serve a great extra purpose. It just was additional entertainment.
Never did I have the thought "this is better than the book" or something, but it wasn't disturbing. In fact, some added scenes were pretty cool. Others zoomed in on the humouristic side of this film. There are lots of comical situations. I confess I had expressed my concern about that a while ago, but I had to laugh pretty loud in the theatre, as many others. Cool actors, cool characters. The dwarves are a great wild bunch (Peter Jackson's Inglorious Bastards)!

You must realize that I am a big fan of the book. While reading the book, my own imagination helped build the world and adventures Tolkien described for me. In the film the makers and actors of the film decide how it looks like. They decide how long a scene takes and they decide what is changed, deleted and added. This all sounds very logical. It was the same with previous Tolkien films, and you see it with other films based on novels.

I'll give an example of a rather exaggerated changed part. In Moria, the adventure is set in tunnels, halls.
In the film there are huge constructions of wood, and the dwarves and orcs run and fall around like rats. The amount of falling in this film is over the top. Peter Jackson must have thought: "Nah, the book is not exciting enough. I need to make it more exciting. More dangerous. More falling"

And thus the film has many literal cliffhangers. I know it's a fantasy story, so how realistic do you want it to be, but really: the dwarves make numerous falls, and crashes, it's not normal how they can survive all that falling. It's a bit over the top. What am I looking at? The Muppets? The Fraggles? No, I rather stick with the dark tunnels. Tolkien's description of the darkness provided enough suspense already and all these circus acrobatics make it less tense (even though it looks damn good!).

OK, this sounds pretty negative but basically, this criticism is especially focused on the dwarves, escaping from Moria.

The scene with Bilbo and Gollum was excellent. I might be mistaken but I think one or two riddles were added, even. Also great was the scene in which the Eagles are rescuing the party from the wargs. Still, this wargs scene was pretty short, and in the book the wargs talk. Perhaps Jackson thought that this might not work in film.

The grand opening scene was great. I won't tell much about it, but I thought it was one of highlights of the film.

Another point of criticism: some scenes were clearly written for actors from the LOTR films. Hi Saruman, hi Galadriel. You guys have no business here, but Peter Jackson pays tribute to these actors and wants to connect this film very much to the LOTR films. Actually, he has the right to do that, and in all honesty, the scenes themselves were not that disturbing or long. Radagast was a very queer fellow, though, and I expect some people to dislike this character because he acted nuts (eaten many paddo's) and has an unexpected role in the film. The speed he moved with, made me think of how Yoda looked in the one but last Star Wars film: over the top.

My wife said that the wow-factor was less present, simply because we've already seen and known LOTR. But then I say "How many other films besides LOTR do exist of these proportions and of this style and visual quality" None. It's trademark Peter Jackson and company and it's something which can be admired, just as one can appreciate a certain actor or director, legendary for his trademark (own style).

Conclusion:
It was a fantastic, well made film, with the best landscapes you can imagine.
Some scenes passed by a bit too quickly for my liking, but that's probably because I vividly had the book in mind. So the good thing is: people who don't know, forgot or dislike the book: go and see it, you might love it!
I thought some of the action was over the top, but the characters are very strong and the main story still stands. Now I "only" have to wait one year before it continues.

Glad you liked it, Foro. Many of the American movie critics, such as for the NY Times, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, etc., are shitting all over it. According to Rotten Tomatoes, which is a popular aggregator of reviews, more than half the "top critics" (i.e., well-known professional movie critics, not just bloggers) have given the movie a negative review. See link here. The consensus is that it is way too long, overstuffed, looks bad (like a soap opera) and very boring for long stretches. Which isn't too surprising when you consider that they tried stretch a fairly modest, 300-page book into roughly 8-9 hours of film. I'll probably still see it, though maybe not right away. I was planning to bring my kids -- we read the book together this summer -- and now I'm skeptical they will bore easily.

At this point I haven't seen any review but I'll already tell that I can't see how it can be too long, because the tempo is high and many things happen.

Perhaps these critics want the progress of the story to go faster, but then they have forgotten that the story is stretched out on purpose.
Not stretched out by extending scenes; no, it's stretched out because of the addition of many extra scenes
If people don't accept the three film vision, then they'll have trouble accepting the first film, whatever is shown in it. So you can wonder how legitimate such criticism is.

It's impossible to be bored by this film, cornfed, honestly. Lots of action, lots of humour.

Good to know, though it is certainly possible to be bored by sections of a Peter Jackson/Tolkien movie. I once read a review that said, of the prior trilogy, "any time you see Liv Tyler you can go to the bathroom because nothing interesting will happen for the next few minutes," which was pretty true -- with the exception of the chase scene in the first film, and I think that comment applied to Two Towers or Return of the King, not Fellowship. Anyhoo, I did have a question about how much of the book gets covered in the movie, which I will put in spoilers:

Does the movie take us to Beorn's house? I.e., the "Queer Lodgings" chapter of the book?

Thx.

Good to know, though it is certainly possible to be bored by sections of a Peter Jackson/Tolkien movie. I once read a review that said, of the prior trilogy, "any time you see Liv Tyler you can go to the bathroom because nothing interesting will happen for the next few minutes," which was pretty true -- with the exception of the chase scene in the first film, and I think that comment applied to Two Towers or Return of the King, not Fellowship.
The most important thing I forgot to mention is: there are no love scenes, there is no romance! Naturally there are non-action scenes and some story telling needs to be done, and there is a moment with some longer dialogue in which a woman takes part but it didn't drag.
Anyhoo, I did have a question about how much of the book gets covered in the movie, which I will put in spoilers:
Does the movie take us to Beorn's house? I.e., the "Queer Lodgings" chapter of the book?
Warning, in that case, I need to tell you how far the story progresses in this first film.
Don't read on if you don't want to know this (still, I won't tell it exactly, but you'll roughly know).

The answer is:
No, BUT,

The story hasn't progressed that far. So I expect that Beorn should pop up in the next film.
You're welcome!

Forostar, just a little correction:
The goblin tunnels weren't in Moria, Moria is way southern, near to the Red Horn. This was northern, near to the Carrock. Check the maps of Middle-Earth and you will see

Very interesting, I'll have to go and see it. It was one of my favourite books as a kid.
I don't think the Spoilers have actually spoiled any of it

Forostar, just a little correction:
The goblin tunnels weren't in Moria, Moria is way southern, near to the Red Horn. This was northern, near to the Carrock. Check the maps of Middle-Earth and you will see
Errr, well, I mixed some stuff up then. :blush:
Very interesting, I'll have to go and see it. It was one of my favourite books as a kid.
I don't think the Spoilers have actually spoiled any of it
That's good to know. I was doubting what to post in spoilers and what not and in the end I put it all there.

Well, I will give my opinion about it. First the good things:
The Prologue was awesome, very Del Toro, as many other things in the movie like the elves of Mirkwood or the goblin tunnels. I liked a lot the acting of Martin Freeman as Bilbo and Richar Armitage as Thorin, in fact I liked more Bilbo than Frodo in this movies. There are scenes that have dialogs directly taken from the books,
As the trolls scene, or the meeting with the goblin king
. The score was awesome, the main theme is LOTR level as many others. And they followed the book actually very closely, more than the LOTR in fact. Also I loved how they managed the ending, a very good ending for the first movie.

Things I didn't like: The action in the Goblin tunnels was sometimes over the top, as Forostar said. I also didn't like that they didn't give the dwarves protagonism. In fact, Bombur doesn't even have a dialog in the whole movie. Only Bofur, Fili, Kili, Balin, Dwalin, Oin and Ori are given some space as characters. But well, maybe they will give space in the next movies to the other ones. Also I didn't like they used too much CGI sometimes for the goblins, yet after some time you get used to it.

Overall I liked the movie a lot. Going to watch it a third time this tuesday, but this time in 3D HFR, at last. I recommend it a lot, and I can't see how you can get bored by it.

Yeah it's not easy to decide on that. ;) We're not exactly discussing a setlist or something. This film has many ingredients to talk about.

I completely and utterly loved the film. Seriously, New Zeeland has the most amazing landscapes.

Well... For the ones that have seen the film, I was beginning worrying about the lack of internet jokes of the movie, but I found some

tumblr_mf6pju95UY1rvy7s5o1_250.gif

And check this, at 2:12 we finally get a Gandalf the Grey theme, that was missing in FOTR

Going to see it between Christmas and New years. I have not read the book but I know what its about, roughly - Other than that everything will be a surprise! I don't expect to walk away that night with a new perspective on my life, its an action movie! I'm expecting big blockbuster action scenes and entertainment! Its just a bit of fun really, right? :)

Took my 8-year-old son to see it last weekend. He liked it, and so did I. Probably about 30 minutes too long, but neither he nor I were bored once. I didn't see it in the high-frame-rate projection, as every review I read thought it looked bad. I thought it looked fine at "regular" speed, although occasionally the makeup looked a little fake. All in all, not quite the spectacle of the original LOTR trilogy, but nevertheless highly recommended.

I read that the 3D version/3D glasses made people sea sick, a lot of people had complained, advised against it. It made the news here :wtf:

I read that the 3D version/3D glasses made people sea sick, a lot of people had complained, advised against it. It made the news here :wtf:

That's because of the High Frame Rate which included 48 frames per second rather than classic 24 frames per second format. It was introduced in this film.

I saw it in non-3D, 24 frame rate, large screen. I recommend that experience. No nausea, no distractions. There are probably some scenes that would have looked cool in 3D, but I've found that colors are not as vibrant when wearing the 3D glasses, which are darkened.

Back