The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

Well. 3 movies... Yet there's something more than money to it. For example, for the sake of a good plot, they couldnt have the death of Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies in the same movie, would be too heavy and not practical. Also they will try to develope characters and the politics of Middle-Earth more, plus the corruption of Saruman, the siege of Dol Guldur, the Dwarven-Goblin war, etc. I think it might work.

Warner Bros. and MGM have officially announced the new titles and release dates for the second and third installments of The Hobbit.
The first film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, opens December 14.
The second film will be called The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and is slated for release December 13, 2013 in 2D, 3D, IMAX and in both 24 and 48 frames-per-second formats.
The third and final film is titled The Hobbit: There and Back Again. It will open worldwide July 18, 2014.

I absolutely loved the LotR movies, but I gotta be honest: I truly fear the Hobbit "trilogy" -- in addition to being a shamelessly offensive money grab* -- is gonna suck.

* - The trend of splitting book adaptations into multiple movies is a disturbing and cynically greedy one. The first I can recall was the last Harry Potter book, which they split into two films: the first was painfully dull, and the second was very good. At least that was a long book. Next, they split the last Twilight book into two films. Haven't seem them, nor will I. Now, this, in which they take a book of less than 300 pages and split it into three long films. Egads. I recall the animated version with John Huston as the voice of Gandalf -- it crisply covered the whole story, in under 80 minutes.

I truly fear the Hobbit "trilogy" -- in addition to being a shamelessly offensive money grab* -- is gonna suck.

I'm sorry to say I have the same feeling. The book would map very well onto a single movie. Two is excessive. Three is downright absurd. It's like making a three hour King Kong movie. Oh, wait...

I understand that they intend to cover some side stories that are only alluded to in the book, but honestly, I'm not that interested in the screenwriters' version of those stories. Sometimes, telling is better than showing.

The good thing is that going in with low expectations means I might be pleasantly surprised. ;)

I made reservations for the 12th. :) And I just hope the book will be followed as well as possible. I re-read the book earlier this year and enjoyed every single line in it. The problem is that we have to wait 1 year before it continues.

I think there is enough Tolkien material that wasn't included in the text of the Hobbit to feed the expansion.
I'm just not certain it will be necessary.

I loved the first three and think that justifies putting my faith in Jackson.
Even though I agree with Shadow and Cornfed that the warning signs are there.

Yesterday I went to watch a movie called "A dangerous method" and saw many ads for the hobbit in the movie theater, but when I asked if there was going to be any mid-night presale for my city (I live in a city that it's important but not so much compared to others in my country) they told me they still didn't know...

In other news, there are many tv spots around the web, and this one shows Smaug! Don't play it if you don't want to get spoiled...

Lol
I think there is going to be a love story in the second movie, between Legolas and an Elf that is played by Evangeline Lily, the girl that Jackson used in the movie Lovely Bones

As regards that spoiler, I seem to recall Jackson expressly saying that that particular scenario was NOT going to happen.

Probably you all will do but just in case:
If you guys would discuss (anything that has to do with) the nature of the disappointment some reviewers have, or anything which touches the content of the film in any other way, please use spoiler tags.

I'll post my review next week (in spoilers as well of course :p ).

Lol mixed reviews but not as bad...
Harshest critics give the hobbit 8, while best ones 10. That means some great quality films...
And don't forget many people didn't like LOTR

Back