The J.R.R. Tolkien Topic (publications and adaptations)

I liked Radagast. Yes, you know what Radagast was telling us, but did the 10 year old kid sitting in front of me? Probably not.

I remember some lines like this, although it probably went different:
After meeting Gandalf in a cave in a high mountain slope, terribly difficult to reach:
"This is a difficult meeting point, Gandalf".

After Gandalf tells something terribly bad roams in Dol Goldur, which also screams itself from the screen
"There is some great darkness here, Gandalf"

Btw, are there any other good LotR universe movies besides LotR and Hobbit? Would like to see 'em if there were.

His lines was not that important really but I think his wizard character is very cool, perhaps when juxtaposed to the great imagery of Gandalf. There is something about that Radagast...

I remember some lines like this, although it probably went different:
After meeting Gandalf in a cave in a high mountain slope, terribly difficult to reach:
"This is a difficult meeting point, Gandalf".

After Gandalf tells something terribly bad roams in Dol Goldur, which also screams itself from the screen
"There is some great darkness here, Gandalf"

Pretty much, something about warning Gandalf that it's a trap...and Gandalf saying "I know its a trap"

One of the girls I went with commented that she thought Bilbo wasn't as funny and happy-go-lucky as he was in the first film, less jokes, more serious. I guess I would agree there that the movie overall was a bit darker?

There was an animated LOTR too, went up to just after Helm's Deep, then they ran out of money. I really liked it.

When I was a young teen discovering the LotR world, I was fascinated by the fact there were other wizards and always wanted to hear more about them. I think I like Jackson's Radagast because of that.

Foro is right about his narrative function though.
But it has to be tough to balance what is obvious to fans with what newcomers need to know.

When I was a young teen discovering the LotR world, I was fascinated by the fact there were other wizards and always wanted to hear more about them. I think I like Jackson's Radagast because of that.

But it has to be tough to balance what is obvious to fans with what newcomers need to know.

True! I think the fact that he is another example of a wizard, a very different example of one, and that he does things very different than Gandalf is what appeals to me. Leaving him out of The Hobbit 2, Would have been no big deal since his serves no real purpose there. Lines are bad etc...But still, the fact that they kept him in must indicate that Peter Jackson likes Radagast too :D

Unfinished Tales. :)
Correct, newcomers don't know other works by Tolkien (or haven't even read anything at all). But he was already introduced in part 1, with Saruman. In this film I felt he was the least contributing sidekick I have seen in the last thousand films or so.

Correct, newcomers don't know other works by Tolkien (or haven't even read anything at all). But he was already introduced in part 1, with Saruman. In this film I felt he was the least contributing sidekick I have seen in the last thousand films or so.

I bet there's more in the extended edition. And yes, that doesn't mean he was any less useless in the theatrical cut, but I also kinda don't care.

Back