The Ides of March

How good is The Ides of March on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Ides Of March' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Ides Of March'

Hehe, have to agree, this song is way too short. Cool drums, a great solo, but too f***in' short, that's why it did not get 5 stars.

'the Ides Of March'

pretty cool solos, nice intro, but nothing too special IMO. At least it's better than the Samson version! 3,5 stars

'the Ides Of March'

Four and a half for what I think is a model album opener, and best one by Maiden. It sounds so classic, it could just as well be found on some standard Sabbath or Deep Purple album.
Great little solos, where you can among other things quickly spot the difference between Adrian's and Dave's style (even I as a guitar ignorant). I don't even mind the piece is short, it's a gem. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
The explosion of Wrathchild afterwards works well for me.

Re: 'the Ides Of March'

One of the greatest Maiden songs ever and it's not counting even 2 minutes !!

The Ides of March is the 15th of March.
Others say that term "ides" shows not one, but two days : 15 and/ or 16 of March

Something I know, is that not all the months had their "ides" !!
This term was existing for three or four months of the calendar
one of them was March....

If somebody knows the others, please to let me know

Every month in the Roman calendar has got Ides. In March, May, July and October, they are on the 15th, the rest of the months, on the 13th.

____no5 said:
The Ides of March is the 15th of March.
Others say that term "ides" shows not one, but two days : 15 and/ or 16 of March

Something I know, is that not all the months had their "ides" !!
This term was existing for three or four months of the calendar
one of them was March....

If somebody knows the others, please to let me know

[...]

Perun said:
Every month in the Roman calendar has got Ides. In March, May, July and October, they are on the 15th, the rest of the months, on the 13th.

yes it got to be this, thanks !!

Yes, but I hope you understood that I was saying that every month has Ides, not just those four.

Perun said:
Yes, but I hope you understood that I was saying that every month has Ides, not just those four.

yes of course !
I was remembering the existance of the four "different" months (I was almost sure about October),
but I couldn't find my source.... My doupt for the "double day" must come from the existance of the 13th day ides !!

anyway, it's one month that I was trying to find this, and what you say seems to me 100% right !!

:ok:

Ceasar asked one oracle about his life, and he told him to be carefoul the Ides of March
That day it was already programmed for something important to be happened in the Senate, but Caesar didn't want to show fear so he didn't cancel the event

He met again the oracle in the stairs of Senate building (as he was going for the event) and said to him "you see ? Ides of March has arrived"
the oracle gave to him an ironic /riddling answer "yes, but it didn't pass"

Like Marc Aurilius, he expressed his very last words in Greek (brothers help me -You too, child?)

He fell dead -ironically enough- in the feet of his enemy's statue Sextus Pompeius (that he had executed some years before)

Daily Song: The Ides of March

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Ides of March

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

A fun little instrumental that really should just be part of the introduction to Wrathchild, but isn't. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Ides of March

6/10 but it's close to a 7. It's cool and a like it but I can't justify it being any higher than that really. Good introduction to the album.

I give it 7.  It's a solid instrumental, but it feels too much like an intro and too little like an independent song.  I like all 3 other instrumentals more, but I think Maiden should do instrumentals occasionally.

Judging it as a pure Maiden song is silly, since you know it's just ridiculous to even consider it so.

For what it is, you are prepared for what's about to come, and the seamless transition directly into Wrathchild is beastly. I know that might count in Wrathchild's favor more, but both should benefit.

8/10

This is no more a stand-alone song than the Hellion by Judas Priest.
But it is great album opener for sliding into Wrathchild.
I'd love to see them play this live then segue into something completely out of left field, like Where Eagles Dare.
I'll give it an eight, because that's what I'll be giving Wrathchild.

A great little piece of music that gets you pumped, and pumped, and pumped. I think this works as an intro to just about anything. 9/10.

Back