The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: did Bruce even have that veto power in 1986/87?
If anyone other than Steve had any kind of power like that it would be Bruce, I would think. If he refused to sing a song what more could you really do anyway? Fire him? Again, this is just pure speculation. An "alternate history" explanation, if you will lol. Also "It just didn't work" could have been an excuse for someone who didn't like it/didn't want to play it.

Regardless they finally played it and for me it is worth the wait.

They nailed Alexander today.

This is a prime example of a song that old Iron Maiden can still perform as it was recorded.

SIASL and Alexander must be played again after this tour. They are great songs for the band's current state.
What a great performance! I think Alexander, Stranger, Prisoner, Days, Caught, Hell On Earth and even Heaven sound the best this tour.

What a great performance! I think Alexander, Stranger, Prisoner, Days, Caught, Hell On Earth and even Heaven sound the best this tour.
Alexander, Stranger, Prisoner and Hell On Earth are the best sounding songs in the set.

It's a damn shame they needed so much time to bring the first two in the set.

CSIT would have sounded amazing if it was played in 2008. Now it's just too demanding for the birthday boy.

I was watching Prisoner video posted above. Oh, the boys are really good at it, thought I for myself, but then I noticed one thing and got very angry. Why the fuck guitars are so subdued/muted. Just why? This fact is one of the major gripes for me with post 2000's Maiden. Fuck. :facepalm:
Notice, at the beginning Adrian is at the acceptable level but around 1:40 mark guitars are sooo in background.

Last edited:
Answer: nope!
I think Bruce has always had a certain power within the band to decide on the set list, more so these days but certainly he must have had a big say from the minute he joined the band.

He’s the singer. I doubt even in the 80’s Bruce was just given a set list and told “right your singing these songs in this order, no arguments”. His personality alone wouldn’t allow him to be dictated to like that but as the singer he must have had a say in what songs sound better for his voice live and also the order they are played so as not to blow his voice out each night.

What can the band do if he refuses to sing a certain song, sack him! That was never gonna happen as the band, especially Steve I imagine knew how good a singer he was and how much a part of their sound he was. He only left in the 90’s because he wanted to. I don’t think there’s ever been a time it was ever contemplated to sack him.

I think Bruce has always had a certain power within the band to decide on the set list, more so these days but certainly he must have had a big say from the minute he joined the band.

He’s the singer. I doubt even in the 80’s Bruce was just given a set list and told “right your singing these songs in this order, no arguments”. His personality alone wouldn’t allow him to be dictated to like that but as the singer he must have had a say in what songs sound better for his voice live and also the order they are played so as not to blow his voice out each night.

What can the band do if he refuses to sing a certain song, sack him! That was never gonna happen as the band, especially Steve I imagine knew how good a singer he was and how much a part of their sound he was. He only left in the 90’s because he wanted to. I don’t think there’s ever been a time it was ever contemplated to sack him.

If I am not mistaken, Steve was the one choosing the setlists until the early 00s. Things changed significantly within the band following the reunion.

Leaving Tampere, my voice is gone, everywhere hurts - getting old myself too.

Great 2 gigs once again. Its always amazing to see those guys, just cant explain it. Really enjoyed the setlist, Adrian is on fire and its a joy hear and see him doing he's thing. Actually, whole band is performing as good as they can at this point of career.

Bruce said we will see you next time Finland! I trust him.

The backdrop is great, but the song is unfortunately the weakest (the only weak) part of the setlist. It's not as much of a crowd participation song as I was expecting.

That is true, but he also had a big input before then (e.g., GMETID tour, bringing some oldies that he had played the year before on a solo tour back to the set, and Somewhere Back in Time setlist).
Such a fun setlist. I wish Maiden did more non-album tours like this one and LOTB, with more unorthodox songs picked and more career spanning overall. History idea was nice but Maiden England was just a SBIT part 2 which really sucked imo. I'd personally love a new album and an album tour right after the Future Past, but if they don't do that would love something like that again.

DOTC- I just dislike the mushy guitars that come in around 2:20. Like there is no riff and it’s just filler. I think the bones of the song are great- but every time I listen to it that lack of riff just kills it for me.

Love how the backing vocals sound on the chorus. Yup, that includes Steve, who doesn't go full pirate on this one (only 15% or so).
I agree. Prisoner is a song that always sounds good live.
The backdrop is great, but the song is unfortunately the weakest (the only weak) part of the setlist. It's not as much of a crowd participation song as I was expecting.
For me this song is CIPWM. But I also thought Celts would be a stronger song live for the fans. Makes me wonder how Parchment would have been received.
Such a fun setlist. I wish Maiden did more non-album tours like this one and LOTB, with more unorthodox songs picked and more career spanning overall. History idea was nice but Maiden England was just a SBIT part 2 which really sucked imo. I'd personally love a new album and an album tour right after the Future Past, but if they don't do that would love something like that again.
The solution - 50th anniv. with rare songs! Agreed about ME tour. LOTB was limited in some ways because of the ''worlds'' in the set.
DOTC- I just dislike the mushy guitars that come in around 2:20. Like there is no riff and it’s just filler. I think the bones of the song are great- but every time I listen to it that lack of riff just kills it for me.
Isn't that a nice trick, you expect a riff and you get a melody. Typical of Steve's approach to writing since 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back