The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I get that the "whinging about Nicko" can be annoying, but at this point I see far more whinging about people who whinge about Nicko, which for me is even more obnoxious. Guys, folks are allowed to criticize things, you don't have to be annoyed or offended by every post. Just ignore them or change the topic of the discussion. Furthermore people pointing out that some notable drum fills are missing, isn't the same as hating or being entitled. We're a Maiden enthusiast forum, of course we're going to notice every little thing.

We all love Maiden, but they are still a band, not our friends or family. This parasocial defending of every little thing is quite weird and at times even childish. I know that we all have a little fanboy/fangirl inside of us, but let's not give in to that all of the time.

---

Last year they needed a bit to shake off the rust, so I expect the same to happen here. Luckily my concert is in 6-ish weeks so by then we'll probably get fantastic performances. The only thing that was an issue last year and still doesn't seem to have been properly addressed is the monitor issues they are facing, Bruce especially. He's quite ahead of the beat and the band in many different songs on these videos. Let's hope they'll find a solution this time around. You can tell that Bruce is definitely aware and that he's trying very hard to rectify as soon as he notices that he's early, but maaaaybe it's time to reconsider in-ear monitoring.

Honestly, I get that the "whinging about Nicko" can be annoying, but at this point I see far more whinging about people who whinge about Nicko, which for me is even more obnoxious. Guys, folks are allowed to criticize things, you don't have to be annoyed or offended by every post. Just ignore them or change the topic of the discussion. Furthermore people pointing out that some notable drum fills are missing, isn't the same as hating or being entitled. We're a Maiden enthusiast forum, of course we're going to notice every little thing.

We all love Maiden, but they are still a band, not our friends or family. This parasocial defending of every little thing is quite weird and at times even childish. I know that we all have a little fanboy/fangirl inside of us, but let's not give in to that all of the time.

---

Last year they needed a bit to shake off the rust, so I expect the same to happen here. Luckily my concert is in 6-ish weeks so by then we'll probably get fantastic performances. The only thing that was an issue last year and still doesn't seem to have been properly addressed is the monitor issues they are facing, Bruce especially. He's quite ahead of the beat and the band in many different songs on these videos. Let's hope they'll find a solution this time around. You can tell that Bruce is definitely aware and that he's trying very hard to rectify as soon as he notices that he's early, but maaaaybe it's time to reconsider in-ear monitoring.
We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally I find it more obnoxious to whinge about a 71 year old drummer who is simplifying things to make his life a little bit easier. I think he has earned it. A couple of mistakes, missing drum fills and snare rolls is not enough to get my pants in a bunch.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Personally I find it more obnoxious to whinge about a 71 year old drummer who is simplifying things to make his life a little bit easier. I think he has earned it. A couple of mistakes, missing drum fills and snare rolls is not enough to get my pants in a bunch.
But it's not all whinging, that's the point. It's absolutely valid to notice and discuss those changes, it is a Maiden forum after all. If you go and look through the posts, you'll see that the vast majority of posts is simply discussing the matter. People aren't attacking Nicko over it.
I guess the "replace Nicko" discussion could be seen as an attack, but it's just one discussion among many; ignore it and move on. Some folks are over-sensitive as soon as anything that could be construed as criticism is mentioned. Making memes and "whinging" about any criticism, even when they're absolutely valid, is just childish and petty.

But it's not all whinging, that's the point. It's absolutely valid to notice and discuss those changes, it is a Maiden forum after all. If you go and look through the posts, you'll see that the vast majority of posts is simply discussing the matter. People aren't attacking Nicko over it.
I guess the "replace Nicko" discussion could be seen as an attack, but it's just one discussion among many; ignore it and move on. Some folks are over-sensitive as soon as anything that could be construed as criticism is mentioned. Making memes and "whinging" about any criticism, even when they're absolutely valid, is just childish and petty.
I was at the first nigh in Prague and the boys were absolutely on fire except for Nicko. :( He was dragging the band a lot + he was too loud in the mix which really did not help. For example he did many mistakes while entering songs... And most of these mistakes are arthritis related, cos´ you can really tell that he was about to start at the right time, but his hands just weren´t listening. :(
It´s sad to see his end, but I really think they all should consider hiring somebody else, because the rest of the band is really firing on all cylinders like in 2018.

Btw: This post is not hate, but an attempt on some conctructive criticism!

Love & respect to Mr. McBrain!!!

I wouldn’t class myself as over sensitive. I get that we are allowed to criticise the band. Hell, I am always criticising Bruce on this forum for his stubbornness and ego.

I am happy with the band replacing Nicko if they need to. If he is struggling or his health is stopping him from performing, then just do it.

I think I am just bored of the over-analytical nature of this forum. I’ve been on Maiden forums for 20 odd years. Maybe I can just no longer be arsed to engage with minor criticism. I am just going to enjoy the time left I have with this band who I owe pretty much everything I have to them. They are the band that inspired me to play music. I then went to university to study it. I met my wife at university and now we have a beautiful daughter. I teach music and pass on my love of the subject to little ones now.

Signing off, but thanks for the debate.

The thing about whining is that on and off, there's a big sense of entitlement amongst many fans. Kevin Shirley sucks, Tony Newton sucks (to be fair, I complained about the last live album. It didn't sound great, but I'm much happier with it than without it, if that counts for someting), Maiden are lazy, they don't play the songs I want, they should do this and that, Hurry up, give os a new album, we have waited so long, you lazy old farts and so on. ´Why hasn't Iron Maiden released statements on this and that (one of my favorite bits of entitled nagging). Criticism is rarely delivered in a constructive fashion and often on the grounds of pettiness. It is usually soaked in negativity remniscent of toddler tantrums. And when Maiden finally does what we have been literally begging for 10 years to happen, right after the first gig it's clear that not all are happy. The drums are too simplified, tempos too slow and it's time to change drummer. I? I just feel grateful. We have literally been given a gift, like a kid on Christmas, and we are already overlooking what we have been given and talking about what we should have been given instead.

Last edited:
Nice to see that my post about replacing some songs on the setlist made people react so much. :D
I'll drop Fear of the Dark, The Trooper, Writing on the Wall, Days of Future past and Death of the Celts and I would put Killers, Sanctuary, Wrathchild, Phantom of the Opera, Total Eclipse and I'll drop Hell on Earth from the Encore, it's not its place.

The thing about whining is that on and off, there's a big sense of entitlement amongst many fans. Kevin Shirley sucks, Tony Newton sucks (to be fair, I complained about the last live album. It didn't sound great, but I'm much happier with it than without it, if that counts for someting), Maiden are lazy, they don't play the songs I want, they should do this and that, Hurry up, give os a new album, we have waited so long, you lazy old farts and so on. ´Why hasn't Iron Maiden released statements on this and that (one of my favorite bits of entitled nagging). Criticism is rarely delivered in a constructive fashion and often on the grounds of pettiness. It is usually soaked in negativity remniscent of toddler tantrums. And when Maiden finally does what we have been literally begging for 10 years to happen, right after the first gig it's clear that not all are happy. The drums are too simplified, tempos too slow and it's time to change drummers. I? I just feel grateful. We have literally been given a gift, like a kid on Christmas, and we are already overlooking what we have been given and talking about what we should have been given instead.
Absolutely agree with you! This setlist is a big nod to the diehard fans and It was absolutely magical to have the privilage to see the 2nd night of this tour! Possibly the most emotional start of a gig I have ever seen in my entire life!

The thing about whining is that on and off, there's a big sense of entitlement amongst many fans. Kevin Shirley sucks, Tony Newton sucks (to be fair, I complained about the last live album. It didn't sound great, but I'm much happier with it than without it, if that counts for someting), Maiden are lazy, they don't play the songs I want, they should do this and that, Hurry up, give os a new album, we have waited so long, you lazy old farts and so on. ´Why hasn't Iron Maiden released statements on this and that (one of my favorite bits of entitled nagging). Criticism is rarely delivered in a constructive fashion and often on the grounds of pettiness. It is usually soaked in negativity remniscent of toddler tantrums. And when Maiden finally does what we have been literally begging for 10 years to happen, right after the first gig it's clear that not all are happy. The drums are too simplified, tempos too slow and it's time to change drummers. I? I just feel grateful. We have literally been given a gift, like a kid on Christmas, and we are already overlooking what we have been given and talking about what we should have been given instead.
Agree with you at 334 BC %, @Yax !!! :ok:

Reactions: Yax
50 yrs hits tour will be least interesting one If they really play only the most popular songs.

But 5-6 classics with 5 rare song and 5 deep cuts will be fantastic

---

I have same thoughts. It's more analysis than whinging.
You know, those, who whining about others whining, have lost sense of reality in a way. They don't know what is real..
Now I feel I'm only who feels that I know what is real!

Eh, this comes across as if the whole fandom is a monolith, when it's not. There are millions of fans, each with their own opinions and unique criticisms. The people who were begging for 10 years and the people who are unhappy after the first night are not the same group. With a band like Maiden, who've had an almost 50 year career it's almost impossible to satisfy every single fan, but that's okay.

As for entitlement: We are paying customers. In the end music is part of the entertainment industry, so a certain sense of entitlement is valid. Though I'll agree that many go over the top and behave ridiculously, not gonna defend that obviously.

I don't think it's really entitlement if people wish for Maiden to have longer rehearsals by a week or two, because some songs are obviously underrehearsed. Many people are fine with mistakes because they humanize the band, but not everyone is happy with paying over 100€ and still getting avoidable mistakes, you know?
As for the latest live album, a lot of things are a matter of taste. I'm fine with the guitars, the drums are the star of the show, I dislike how loud the keyboards are (just like with TBOS LC). I find it unacceptable that you can't make out any of what the crowd is saying, even when they are emphasized. It's insane that live albums that came out decades before that one manage to capture the audience adequately, while this one drenches them in reverb and who knows what other processing was done, that leaves them completely unintelligible. I'm not mad that the album exists, I'm just sad at the wasted potential. There where plenty of shows from 2018 where Bruce sounded fantastic, yet they chose another set of concerts where Bruce was sick plus the aforementioned issues with the audience mixing.

Maiden is my favorite band and I'm passionate about a lot of things involving them. I don't criticize them to hate them. I criticize things that I wish were different or better.

---

I think nicko sounds ok. And i saw bruce run a bit in CSIT last night. Their show is incredible for a 60s or near 70s person.Even more incredible than rolling stones. Its amazing how they sound in songs they wrote 40 years ago

"I would like to speak to Mr Smallwood."

(Sorry Vaenyr, this wasn't directed at you, but it was too good an opportunity to miss)
No worries, I appreciate a good dig and I get how my comment can come across lol

---

Edit: Turning to something more positive, even though this will be my fourth Maiden concert 9 out of the 15 songs will be my first time hearing those songs. I might not be the biggest fan of DOTC, but I'm still absolutely delighted to get to hear so many songs for the first time. I love the TNOTB trio as much as everyone else, but we have a gazillion different live versions of those. It's nice to know that when the next live album releases we'll get some fresh material. Even something like SIASL that has been played on a couple of tours, hasn't had an official live release yet. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Eh, this comes across as if the whole fandom is a monolith, when it's not. There are millions of fans, each with their own opinions and unique criticisms. The people who were begging for 10 years and the people who are unhappy after the first night are not the same group. With a band like Maiden, who've had an almost 50 year career it's almost impossible to satisfy every single fan, but that's okay.

As for entitlement: We are paying customers. In the end music is part of the entertainment industry, so a certain sense of entitlement is valid. Though I'll agree that many go over the top and behave ridiculously, not gonna defend that obviously.

I don't think it's really entitlement if people wish for Maiden to have longer rehearsals by a week or two, because some songs are obviously underrehearsed. Many people are fine with mistakes because they humanize the band, but not everyone is happy with paying over 100€ and still getting avoidable mistakes, you know?
As for the latest live album, a lot of things are a matter of taste. I'm fine with the guitars, the drums are the star of the show, I dislike how loud the keyboards are (just like with TBOS LC). I find it unacceptable that you can't make out any of what the crowd is saying, even when they are emphasized. It's insane that live albums that came out decades before that one manage to capture the audience adequately, while this one drenches them in reverb and who knows what other processing was done, that leaves them completely unintelligible. I'm not mad that the album exists, I'm just sad at the wasted potential. There where plenty of shows from 2018 where Bruce sounded fantastic, yet they chose another set of concerts where Bruce was sick plus the aforementioned issues with the audience mixing.

Maiden is my favorite band and I'm passionate about a lot of things involving them. I don't criticize them to hate them. I criticize things that I wish were different or better.
You make valid points (although, fan opinions and criticism aren't that diverse, they tend to fall into a few rough categories). It's just that the complaints are always the loudest. This forum turns on and off into a wall of complaints and it taints the atmosphere, maybe especially for one who has been around here for a long time as I've read cycles and cycles of whining, if you will. It just wears one down. Like, can't we as a group (on a general level) be appreciative every now and then?

You make valid points (although, fan opinions and criticism aren't that diverse, they tend to fall into a few rough categories). It's just that the complaints are always the loudest. This forum turns on and off into a wall of complaints and it taints the atmosphere, maybe especially for one who has been around here for a long time as I've read cycles and cycles of whining, if you will. It just wears one down. Like, can't we as a group (on a general level) be appreciative every now and then?
Aye, I agree with everything here. Edited my comment above to add something I'm excited about and to bring some positivity.

Reactions: Yax
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back