The Final Frontier Reviews Thread

I think this could actually help people get into the album, as they could focus on specific points of certain songs that others recommend.  Really though, I'm sure many of us are curious as to the thoughts of our peers on this.*

*I couldn't really decide where to post this, so if it's somehow deemed inappropriate in this place I'm sorry in advance
I'd definitely say the big solo in The Man Who Would be King seems to be a real demonstration of their talented guitar triumvirate; that song would be my least favorite on the album without it.

The singing in When the Wild Wind Blows is very consistent in that it doesn't switch up it's style too much.  In The Legacy that's what broke the song for me, once he gets to the final two vocal parts.

Finally, the way Mother of Mercy ends, I don't think Maiden has ended a song like that before.

Any real problem I've ever had with Iron Maiden's music was taken care of in this album.  It's great how packed with lyrics the whole album is, and even better that there's barely a trace of too much repetition in chorus..

Re: Highlights and/or shortcoming on Final Frontier? (Spoilers.)

I want to hear a high quality album version before I completely comment on the short comings (which I think might be some of the general muddiness).

I really love how this album is balanced though.  You've got your serious stuff, the up beat stuff, the rockers, and although it is a little restrained at times, Maiden doesn't let that be the focus and they seem to be roaring out with some of the heaviest parts I've heard from them since the 80s.  I also love that they've brought back some of the story telling elements they used to wow us with.  That always seemed like it was missing over the last 3 albums (it was there in moments, but never enough to really enjoy).

I actually really love El Dorado.  It certainly isn't my favourite (The Talisman just might be, but then I hear WTWWB and I have doubts with my decision haha), but I think El Dorado is better then people give it credit for.  It kind of reminds me of 2 Minutes To Midnight (or at least something from that era).

The alchemist,the talisman,Coming home......and not in the same level,The final frontier,el dorado and When the wind.

I think Mother of Mercy and Coming Home are the most accessible and probably the best to get somebody into the album with.

I am still speechless after the one spin last night. Can't think right.

judas_rising said:
This feels like their most epic album at least.

I don't know.... to me I feel BNW and AMOLED are more epic (keep in mind this is with only 3 listens). Although I guess it comes down to what 'epic' sounds and feels like to us. I'm still dizzy from this album (and a lil stoned hehe) so I'm certainly not rational right now. I think I'll let this album sink in a bit more, then come back.

There are some really really really really really amazing choruses on this album. The talisman, coming home, starblind, Isle of Avalon all have epic feeling choruses.

Love the melody that runs through WTWWB.

Best song (after 3 listens)- Starblind, Talisman, IOS or WTWWB

Worst song - El dorado, Mother of mercy or TMWWBK ( guitar work igreat but lacks a good chorus)

Babo 91 said:
There are some really really really really really amazing choruses on this album. The talisman, coming home, starblind, Isle of Avalon all have epic feeling choruses.

Love the melody that runs through WTWWB.

Best song (after 3 listens)- Starblind, Talisman, IOS or WTWWB

Worst song - El dorado, Mother of mercy or TMWWBK ( guitar work igreat but lacks a good chorus)

... Isle of Avalon has a chorus?

Suicidehummer said:
... Isle of Avalon has a chorus?

Yep:

Fertility mother goddess
Celebration, sow the seeds of the born
The fruits of her body laden
Through the corn doll
You will pray for them all
The image of mother goddess
Lying dormant, in the eyes of the dead
The sheaf of the corn is broken
End the harvest, throw the dead on the pyre

Not very repetitive, is it?

Breakdown @ 4:00 minute mark in Starblind.  7/8 time?

I'm sort of feeling the opposite of some reviews I've read.  I actually prefer the first half of the album early on.  I also am not quite as in love with Wind as some folks seem to be.

That said not a turkey in the bunch!  Enjoying....4 listens in.

My highs:  Mother of Mercy, Isle Of Avalon, Starblind

p4warrior said:
Breakdown @ 4:00 minute mark in Starblind.  7/8 time?

The whole thing is a weird fraction.

I gave the leak 2 listens. I feel overwhelmed by it. Can't find the words still. It's so Maiden yet not conveniently wrapped in 4-minute pills. I feel a bit overdosed, it's wonderful, yet it makes you face some truths. The number one being: you never know what a real band is capable of. Jeez I once thought I knew!

Man this is a bomb... audacious.... I didn't go to the individual track threads, right now I don't feel comfortable trying to analyze and name this music. It will sink in eventually, or more likely we'll be sucked into this spinning black hole.

Back