The Final Frontier charts' thread

True.  But, honestly, I don't hear more than 4-5 different Disturbed songs in a week, either. 

I still say that a lot of popularity has to do with how 'easy' it is to understand what the lyrics are saying and how long the songs are.  Maiden hasn't written a song that was built for the 'normal' fan for years-- and by years, I am meaning about 20.

Of course they would, but that's not how radio stations work. Radio is a dying enterprise all around the world, mate. As a result, they have to pander to the market that they have. They aren't getting people my age, and younger than me? Not a chance. I never listen to the radio. Ever, and it's not just because there's nothing on the radio for me; it's because my music is in my pocket, always.

So, radio is not going to play songs that don't appeal to a lot of people in their demographic. They play what's super-popular to appease people who listen casually, and they play what's classic to appease people who listen to the radio. As even classic Iron Maiden isn't really applicable to either category, only dedicated stations are going to go ahead and do it.

To most radio stations, the average listener MAY have heard Run to the Hills. Aside from that? The Wicker Man? Bollocks, fuck that shit. Nobody has heard of it. Or, should I say - a tiny percentage of people have.

Maiden just ain't over in the States.

Ya, it's sad but true. You would think hitting #4 on Billboard would make stations take notice, but that's how radio works. I mean sucks. Oh well. It made for some interesting chat. :)

Genghis Khan said:
I noticed that the wiki article shows a "--" under Japan, meaning that the CD has not been released there, yet.  Must be coming later. 

This is great news, indeed.  The band is taking it, one album at a time, but I hope this success urges them to release another one, in a few years of course.

Japan

No.5 - Got this from a japanese fan on the ukmix forum!

Wasted CLV said:
Mostly, the question is whether or not radio play makes a 'fan' buy the album.
I know I'm kinda late but this is not the right question to ask, because "a 'fan'" does not need to listen to Maiden on the radio to buy their albums... He will buy them anyway. On the contrary, the question should be about a person who is either a metalhead but not into Maiden or somebody who is not even a metalhead.

Onhell said:
Exactly! visiting a country does not always guarantee album sales. Fans are fans and they will buy your cd because they like the bands work, regardless of concert. I have NEVER been to a Symphony X or Dream Theater concert, but I own most of their CDs... 
Nice to meet another Sym X fan Onhell :D

But what if someone FIRST hears Maiden on the radio and then loves them so much that they decide to buy their albums? That would then make them a fan right?

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
One thing's for sure. Radio play in the USA sure wouldn't hurt Maiden.

Look at Disturbed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disturbed_discography They've only been around since 2000 and their first album has gone 4X platinum in the USA and their last 3 albums were #1 on Billboard.

Now look at Maiden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Maiden_discography Their albums from the 80's have only gone 1X platinum and they've never had a #1 on Billboard in the USA.
Americans never really liked Iron Maiden...NEVER , not even in the eighties really (compared to other bands in the rock/metal scene). Why is that so hard to accept and move on ?

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
But what if someone FIRST hears Maiden on the radio and then loves them so much that they decide to buy their albums? That would then make them a fan right?
Yeah, but, this is exactly what I was saying, man. :huh: People who are not into Maiden - these are the focus of this discussion. Because someone who's already a fan does not need to listen to them on the radio to buy their albums - he's already a fan, he will buy them anyway.

It really comes into play when we're talking about someone who is not into Maiden, either never heard of them or never dug them. This is where radio can play it's part.

johnglen said:
Americans never really liked Iron Maiden...NEVER , not even in the eighties really (compared to other bands in the rock/metal scene). Why is that so hard to accept and move on ?

I suggest not to make such broad generalizations without the info to back it up. It's not that it is hard to accept and move on, it's that you haven't made a single valid point. Not one.

Onhell said:
I suggest not to make such broad generalizations without the info to back it up. It's not that it is hard to accept and move on, it's that you haven't made a single valid point. Not one.
The numbers speak for themselves and is the only point that matters in this discussion. The rest is just wishfull thinking. Iron Maiden were ALWAYS much smaller in America than in the rest of the world , in spite of ther gigantic effords to conquer that market .

Perun said:
Easy guys, this argument isn't getting us anywhere.
here here. Ok Johnglen so generally speaking Maiden isnt as big in America as it is in Brazil for example. Who cares? What's the population of the States? I gain who cares but even a small fraction of them loving Maiden, going to see their SOLD OUT shows, buying their music to get them near the top of the billboard chart is better than  nothing.
In essence I think we can summarise (and stop the futile arguing!!) with this:
USA - some people like Maiden, some don't
rest of the world - some people like Maiden, some don't
Evidently in some parts of the world they are more popular than others. Big deal. Maiden have just scored a number one in my country, the UK, but I wouldnt say they are massive here either. Do I cry, do i whine, do I slate all British for being anti-maiden? Nah, I've got a life.
CAN WE END THIS AMERICAN SLAGGING OFF BICKERING NOW PLEASE!!!!!

I'm going to start making broad hate-filled generalizations of Greece as a country and Greek people specifically, is everyone cool with this?

Singapore has historically never supported Maiden and Singaporeans have shitty taste in music.  This is a FACT because *I* said it.

Crimson Mask, no prob, I don't mind. Slag all countries off as long as it isn't America. Then trouble will come for you.

Back