The Final Frontier charts' thread

Back in the Village said:
How can nearly 62,000 album sales be pathetic?? And what is wrong with people from the U.S? Why have you got a problem with them/ it's a big, diverse country full of people with different tastes, be it metal, country, Rn'B, dance, classical etc etc. To get an album even in the top 10 without much (if any) airplay is an accomplishment. If Maiden had mainstream attention and airtime they would be even bigger.
And no Johnglen I'm not from the US nor am I a brainwashed moron who likes to spew hate but hey everyone has their opinion which is how it should be. just puzzles me how someone can take the time to register on a site for fans of Iron Maiden and then use it to slate the band?????

Excellent post. Some people really should check themselves before posting.

Murder89 said:
Care to explain your point about Americans?
They have always had extremely shitty taste in music, among other things.
Back in the Village said:
How can nearly 62,000 album sales be pathetic?? And what is wrong with people from the U.S? Why have you got a problem with them/ it's a big, diverse country full of people with different tastes, be it metal, country, Rn'B, dance, classical etc etc. To get an album even in the top 10 without much (if any) airplay is an accomplishment. If Maiden had mainstream attention and airtime they would be even bigger.
And no Johnglen I'm not from the US nor am I a brainwashed moron who likes to spew hate but hey everyone has their opinion which is how it should be. just puzzles me how someone can take the time to register on a site for fans of Iron Maiden and then use it to slate the band?????
62.000 for a market as big as the U.S is PATHETIC.  Hell , it will do 30.000 first week ,in my country (Greece) for God's sake !! The U.S market has always been a black hole for Iron Maiden and it's quite sad considering the efford they have dedicated to capture that market.

johnglen said:
62.000 for a market as big as the U.S is PATHETIC.  Hell , it will do 30.000 first week ,in my country (Greece) for God's sake !! The U.S market has always been a black hole for Iron Maiden and it's quite sad considering the efford they have dedicated to capture that market.

So some countries don't dig Maiden so much... is that a crime?  I know I did my part buying two copies.

Maiden landed at number 4 in the US, it's official

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=145069

johnglen said:

I have to disagree here.  62,000 is a DAMN good number for a band that gets as little airplay as Maiden does.  We aren't talking about sales figures for Metallica, Nickelback, or Justin Bieber, we are talking about a band that, as far as most American metal fans are concerned, is still underground.  Also, not ALL Americans have shitty taste in music.  The overall musical climate sucks, yes, but to lump us all in to that category is both lazy and incorrect.

chaosapiant said:
I have to disagree here.  62,000 is a DAMN good number for a band that gets as little airplay as Maiden does.  We aren't talking about sales figures for Metallica, Nickelback, or Justin Bieber, we are talking about a band that, as far as most American metal fans are concerned, is still underground.  Also, not ALL Americans have shitty taste in music.  The overall musical climate sucks, yes, but to lump us all in to that category is both lazy and incorrect.

Uh, what he said  :D

p4warrior said:
Uh, what he said  :D

Not to mention on this board you are really insulting the Americans who did buy the album
I certainly wish more Americans did buy it, but #4 is nothing to sneeze at.

I am not insulting the Americans that bought the album i am insulting the Americans that DIDN'T  buy the album plus i have an issue with Americans , when it comes to music, in general cause with their shitty taste they have destroyed many great bands (among them is IM after SSOASS). From the hair metal of the eighties (when even Judas Priest ended up playin hair metal in Turbo just to be popular in the U.S), to the wimpy pseudo thrash of the late eighties (when almost every good thrash metal band made its sound more commersial again to please the American public that was warming up to Metallica) to the horrible metalcore (with the shitty Pantera selling like crazy and dumbing down the whole metal scene with their simplistic music and horrible vocals)...

As far as the usual radio excuse, well it's not like Maiden get all the radio time in the world in the countries that their albums are selling like hot cakes.

johnglen said:
I am not insulting the Americans that bought the album i am insulting the Americans that DIDN'T  buy the album plus i have an issue with Americans , when it comes to music, in general cause with their shitty taste they have destroyed many great bands (among them is IM after SSOASS). From the hair metal of the eighties (when even Judas Priest ended up playin hair metal in Turbo just to be popular in the U.S), to the wimpy pseudo thrash of the late eighties (when almost every good thrash metal band made its sound more commersial again to please the American public that was warming up to Metallica) to the horrible metalcore (with the shitty Pantera selling like crazy and dumbing down the whole metal scene with their simplistic music and horrible vocals)...

As far as the usual radio excuse, well it's not like Maiden get all the radio time in the world in the countries that their albums are selling like hot cakes.

What are you going on about?  Because America isn't huge on your favorite bands, you can go around insulting its citizens?  In case it wasn't clear, Iron Maiden, an act that literally gets 0 airplay on the radio or television, has the number 4 record in the country.  Seriously, there are three IM songs you can hear on the radio here - Run to the Hills, Flight of Icarus, and The Trooper.  That's it.  And that's only on the classic hard rock station in my area, and only during their retro hour.  Metallica?  They have a dedicated time slot of songs every evening at 10 PM on my local station, plus all the re-runs of Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters during the day.

Long story short - don't go insulting entire nationalities because their tastes don't align with yours.  It makes you come off like a bigot.

johnglen said:

Thing is, the only thing that kept Iron Maiden from being a dominant force in the US in th 90s was Iron Maiden themselves.  They chose to go in a retro, "unfashionable" direction with their music, and the critics and many fans alike hated it.  Then they replaced Bruce with a guy who cannot even hit the same notes and toured smaller clubs because it was financially safer.  That being said, fans like myself still exist, and I say Maiden never put a foot wrong, and I LOVE all 4 of Maiden's 90s studio albums.  I also LIKE that Maiden is a bit more undergroud here, because when I do encounter a Maiden fan, I know he's usually the real deal, not just a radio friendly casual music enthusiast.  

chaosapiant said:
Thing is, the only thing that kept Iron Maiden from being a dominant force in the US in th 90s was Iron Maiden themselves.  They chose to go in a retro, "unfashionable" direction with their music, and the critics and many fans alike hated it.  Then they replaced Bruce with a guy who cannot even hit the same notes and toured smaller clubs because it was financially safer.  That being said, fans like myself still exist, and I say Maiden never put a foot wrong, and I LOVE all 4 of Maiden's 90s studio albums.  I also LIKE that Maiden is a bit more undergroud here, because when I do encounter a Maiden fan, I know he's usually the real deal, not just a radio friendly casual music enthusiast.  

Exactly.  You can't claim the US of A killed Maiden after SSoaSS.  Like it or not, their hard rock direction on NPFTD and FOTD turned off most listeners - not only in America, but in other countries as well.
Cosmiceddie said:
'The Final Frontier' is #1 in Switzerland!  :yey:

http://www.hitparade.ch/weekchart.asp?cat=a

Sweet! 

pilau said:
Wow! These standings are unprecedented! Current positions:

CountryDebut andPeak
Australia
2​
2​
Austria
1​
1​
Belgium
6​
6​
Finland
1​
1​
France
1​
1​
Germany
1​
1​
Ireland
3​
3​
Netherlands
2​
2​
New Zealand
1​
1​
Norway
1​
1​
Portugal
1​
1​
Sweden
1​
1​
Switzerland
1​
1​
UK
1​
1​
USA
4​
4​

Updated... any others?

If I recall correctly, the hair metal bands did pretty well over in Europe (and the rest of the world as well).  I also recall during soem vacations through the Czech Republic, Germany, and France, I was not exactly bombarded with heavy metal on the local radio stations.

Certainly there is some horrible music being made in the US .. and some good music as well ... Maiden has increased their profile here, they are increasing record sales when most rock/metal bands are in a free fall and their recent tour drew good numbers.

As for the 90s 2 sub-par albums with Bruce (though i like them both, they were a drop off from previous material) and a poor commercial choice of a replacement did them in, not some American demand.  

Funny, on the Croatian chart, Iron Maiden (the album) is #14, Seventh Son is #35 and No Prayer is #39

johnglen said:

You've just openly admitted to insulting the VAST MAJORITY of Americans because they don't share your taste in music.  :nuts2:

snake plissken said:
You've just openly admitted to insulting the VAST MAJORITY of Americans because they don't share your taste in music.  :nuts2:

C'mon guys #4 in America is pretty damn good for Maiden as are the sales numbers. They have almost doubled their sales since BNW.

Back