The essential bootlegs?

Yes. It's the last show of the Piece of Mind tour, where they headlined the ZDF festival in Dortmund. The one that is on The Early Days DVD.

A short setlist. How do we know it was the complete show? Still, this list looks longer than anything else I was aware of, bootleg related, I think. Will check later.

Well apparently this was a two day festival (this was new info to me, but the Commentary confirms it) and they played the same setlist both nights. There's a bootleg of the first night as well. I haven't listened to the entire bootleg for night 2 but I can tell that Sanctuary is definitely the first song at least (was never really sure based on the official video). Since it was a festival with six other bands, there were probably time constraints. It comes in at just under an hour which sounds about right to me.

Every bootleg listed on the commentary is sourced from the broadcast and features the shortened setlist, so I'm guessing this audience recording surfaced fairly recently (i.e. last ten years)?

Starting 84 this week. Looking forward especially to hearing some stuff that wasn't on LAD.

Lots of good boots in 83 although everything seemed inferior after Ipswich. The band did seem to get better as the tour goes on though. Bruce's vocals were really good at Dortmund.

I used to trade bootlegs years ago, stopped around 2006 or so as I didn't have enough time for it anymore, but I wouldn't mind picking up a decent show from each of the tours since 2006. Does anyone know if there is still a community trading boots through snail mail or what way does it work these days?

Reading this thread has been very interesting. I've never really gotten into bootlegs as the few I've heard over the years have been of such low quality it just wasn't worth the time to listen too.

If I wanted to search for bootlegs, apart from YouTube where would I get hold of these as a quick google search didn't seem to yield anything.

Back in the day when I used to trade there was a forum on the official Maiden FC forum for traders, and then when they started to charge for access to the forum it migrated to maiden fans united, it may still exist there, if you google "iron maiden bootleg traders" it brings up some results

Continued again..

World Slavery Tour 1984-85 - soo many cool (and imo essential) bootlegs from this tour.

1984-08-11 Poznan - good sound
1984-08-22 Pietre Lugie - one of the funniest bootlegs, this has to be heard to be believed. I won't spoil it, but cheese is mentioned more than once. Plus the band is on fire.
1984-09-16 Newcastle - Gig Addiction recorded and mastered many of these UK gigs, and they really are stellar. If you look for them they are mostly labelled as DMM series.
1984-09-17 Sheffield - Losfer Words is played here and on the Newcastle one.
1984-09-18 Ipswich - Murders in the Rue Morgue is played.
1984-09-20 Leicester
1984-09-29 Nottingham
1984-10-12 London - Murders in the Rue Morgue is played.
1984-10-18 Stuttgart
1984-10-27 Bremen - the best one is on DVD audio
1984-10-29 Paris - ten song radio broadcast, this is among the best.
1984-11-26 Quebec - again, shorter setlist for N.America
1984-12-19 Milwaukee
1984-12-21 Chicago
Nothing in 85?

The setlists for these early shows are odd. They eventually throw in Wrathchild, then replace Wrathchild with COTD, then replace COTD with Murders, then COTD comes back, then the slot is empty, then COTD eventually returns along with Phantom. Murders also returns again. Is this the closest Maiden has come to a rotating setlist? The only other example I can think of is 2010 when they were rotating Paschendale and DoD for a few shows. Also when was the last time Wrathchild was dropped for something else?

BTW I'm glad the "Give me an I..." cheerleader routine didn't last the whole tour. :D

Last edited:
Reading this thread has been very interesting. I've never really gotten into bootlegs as the few I've heard over the years have been of such low quality it just wasn't worth the time to listen too.

If I wanted to search for bootlegs, apart from YouTube where would I get hold of these as a quick google search didn't seem to yield anything.
I'm getting mine from the Maiden World DC++ Hub. http://maiden-world.com/bootlegs.html

You have to register at their site and last I checked registrations were closed, so you might be out of luck if you don't already have an account there. There's also Dime but I haven't been able to figure their search engine out.

Nothing in 85?

I'm hard pressed to find any that are worth seeking out. Rio was officially released.

So many have poor sound, maybe:
1985-01-2 New York - because Losfer Words is played.
Or all the Long Beach ones for comparisons with Live after Death.

Let me know if you unearth any decent 1985 ones

Yea in that case I'll pass on 85. Just wanted to make sure. Plenty of stuff in 84 and then I'll move on to 86.

That is one of the best from that tour indeed!
Did you listen to Pietre Lugie? The "cheese shop" gig?
Funny stuff. And energetic as well.

Yea the cheese shop gig was awesome. I was actually familiar with it through a clip of 22 Acacia Avenue posted on the commentary, so that was a definite to check out. I'm checking out most of your list but not everything, at least not right away. I definitely plan on getting to everything at some point.

Back