The Duellists

How good is The Duellists on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Unmemorable, boring. The instrumentals are great, which makes me rate this song 7/10.

I don't really dig fencing so i'm going to rate this one 6, as well. The instrumental part is very good again. But the whole song, as composition, is totally unmemorable. I don't like lyrics and i don't like vocal melodies here. Again, clean sheet filler track.

Re: Daily Song: The Duellists

Zare, here a message from Mr. Strict: in an earlier post you gave a 6,5

Zare said:
Filler from Fillerslave. 6.5/10 on Maiden scale.

That's a 7 in my book.

Funny, i don't even recall posting. Nevertheless, i'm fairly consistent with myself  :D

However, being all that strict about rules, today is the day i voted in this poll. I might have replied few months earlier with 6.5 score, but today i hit 6. Opinions on songs can change all the time.
So it's a matter of which one you're going to take as relevant, my earlier post, or my vote in the poll. Since it's your statistics and your work, do as you wish.

I'm not going to protest here even that i know that you love this particular track, and you wouldn't force my higher vote if it was some less-liked song of yours  ;) Seven it is.

Normally I count the first post (is mostly the vote as well), and as soon as the votes can be changed, people can reconsider their grade (this opportunity might happen once a year) in their post as well, and then I'll use it as well.

I didn't realize that you hadn't voted yet, so I'll change it.

As you wish. I don't care in either case, a point up or down. Especially when my ratings change on monthly basis for at least 20-30% of the tracks. Sometimes i get bored from favourites and tracks i neglected hit the spotlight, i recall all the nice details and then they're up for a point, or even two.

By the way, how's the work on TXF statistics coming along? I'm dying to see the scores, from what i've seen tracks got really high scores. Should link the topic then to every blabbermouth discussion that starts bashing the Blaze era, for them to see how true Maiden fans think about those records  ;)

Zare said:
By the way, how's the work on TXF statistics coming along? I'm dying to see the scores, from what i've seen tracks got really high scores. Should link the topic then to every blabbermouth discussion that starts bashing the Blaze era, for them to see how true Maiden fans think about those records  ;)

Hehe. Well, lately a lot of older albums get my attention. I can't say when I start with TXF, but I am definitely aiming at this month. Could be this week, or later, not sure yet.

7. Not sure about this, its OK but it just doesn't enthral me.

7/10 - agin 'the' syndrome - its ok but doesnt sound like its had too much effort put into it and pretty fillery

8/10

The instrumental section is the clear highlight here. I could listen to Maiden play like this for hours and hours. The amount of thought that they put into some of their best work is constantly impressive.
The vocal sections are slightly ruined for me by the fact that the first time I heard this tune I thought it sounded a bit like Bruce was singing "Fart for the honour..." etc. Tragically immature, yes, but I've not quite been able to take the lyrics seriously since then.
Forostar, if you read what is inside the spoiler tags, please do not kill me afterwards.

6. This is my lest favorite on Powerslave. The instrumental section is pretty good, but other than that it seems pretty average for maiden. I'm not a very big fan of the chorus.

Another pleasant surprise like Still Life on the last album. The vocals aren't as memorable as many classics, but this song is saved by the outstanding guitar work in this song. 9/10

If thus song gets a 7 what would you people give to TAATG? (I might as well go and check).However I think it is just brilliant

To me, this is the twin of Flash Of The Blade, but also the cousin of Where Eagles Dare.
It has the same vibe as Flash have, with lyrics about fencing and similar sound overall. It also have the same structure as Eagles with verses in the beginning and in the end with a long instrumental passage in between (This is one of several times where I usually lose myself in the fantastic album cover).
While it isn't bad, it's not my favoruite, but it works.

6/10

9/10. I have always really enjoyed this song, and am still surprised that it's not liked more around here. My only complaint is that the instrumental section goes on a little too long (exactly like Where Eagles Dare). On the other hand it has some amazing guitar and an awesome solo in there!! Definitely one of my favorite chorus' by Maiden and I love the way Bruce sings it! I would really enjoy hearing this one live!

For me, this is one of the weakest tracks on the album. A good guitar solo surrounded by an average song.

6/10

Back