The Duellists

How good is The Duellists on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'The Duellists' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'the Duellists'

This album, along with this song, has to be some of the best guitar work for maiden. Every song seems to have a different part to it (format-wise). This song for example has the whole solo section that just develops in a classical format kind of way........ the bass arpeggios are so damn fitting. You have so many other things going on in there and not one outshines the other. Great work with great with great harmonies!

'the Duellists'

I totally agree this one would be one of my fav on Powerslave.. the harmony section i swear there could be up to 4 guitars doing harmonies, with bass in unison. and all the time Nicko is keeping beat. I would say that Adrian's solo is a real work of art on this song apart from the music the lyrics are good as well a show down of to fencers. A great song and i rated it 4 1/2.

'the Duellists'

My vote: 4 stars. Very good song. Infliction, I completely agree about Powerslave having Maiden's most impressive guitar work. And tabor, you're right: I counted, and there are 4 guitars at one point during the harmonies.

'the Duellists'

This seems to be a very overlooked Maiden song. It has a lot of feeling and an excellent, long instrumental section. I gave it 5 stars. It might be one of the best songs on the album, but since Powerslave had so many great songs, it's hard to say.

'the Duellists'

Have to agree with the other here, great instrumental stuff on this song. Otherwise the song tends to bore me, I don't know why. Bruce also sounds a bit too hasty on this song, making his vocals sound fairly thin.

Re: 'the Duellists'

I must say I am very impressed with this song. Since duelling is sort of fast paced in its nature, Bruce's singing compliments it. The guitar work is just great here, and the atmosphere puts it as a Maiden masterpiece. I really like this song a lot. You can imagine, fighting for your life for the sake of honor requires every moment, he who hesitates is lost. and dead in this case.

SinisterMinisterX said:
My vote: 4 stars. Very good song. Infliction, I completely agree about Powerslave having Maiden's most impressive guitar work. And tabor, you're right: I counted, and there are 4 guitars at one point during the harmonies.

You know what, I am of the same opinion and today I suddenly found out that it's quite odd that this album features only two(!) songs written by a guitarist (Adrian Smith)! This album is especially a Steve and Bruce product.

moved rest of post

My favourite part of The Duellists is Steve's bass solo.

Well....it's not really a bass solo, but towards the end of the first guitar solo (Dave's?) you can hear a single bass note that is louder and sharper than the rest.  Was this an error that they left in the final mix?  Either way, I always listen for Steve's bass note...the ultimate bass solo.

This song is definitively a masterpiece! Everything in it is just perfect.

But I wanted to ask if somebody here has ever watched The Duellists movie, and if is worth of. This song was inspired by this movie, and today I saw the DVD on a store for about 5 dollars, which is quite cheap! :D

Somebody has something to say about the movie? Thanks in advance! :ok:

I watched it and could barely restrain myself from turning it off in the first 10 minutes. Very boring movie in my opinion, but I am told that I am shallow with my movie taste...

Daily Song: The Duellists

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Duellists

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

My thoughts: This is a pretty good song. It's one of the ones that I feel that is often underlooked, though most people will say they love it. I don't quite love it, but I like it quite a lot. 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Duellists

I've always found the chorus quite boring, almost annoying (contrary to the one in Flash of the Blade  :lol: ). The song doesn't really move me one way or another, though the mentioned mid-section is really nice indeed and because of that I'll give this song a 7.

This is the best of the non-classic Powerslave tracks. Again the rhythm section kicks serious ass, but this time they are underpinning some very interesting guitar parts. The melody is nicely understated and while the lyrics aren’t a Trooper-style perfect match for the music, they do tell a nice little story. Was a sentimental favourite when it was new and has never really fallen off. Eight.

10. I didn't know, but this is the most underrated classic Maiden song! Can't believe how bad looked is Powerslave (at least in Europe and States. Here in Brasil this is a holy piece of art!) This is a massive song, the instrumental section is, as someone said above, magical!!! The only minor complaint I have is about the chorus, which is sang too high, but with Bruce's magnificent voice of today he could nail it perfectly (if he can still sing it at all). Wonderful, majestic, splendorous. My second fave on the album.

I can't find anything interesting about the middle part. Yeah, it's different, but I just can't find anything particularly captivating about it. The vocals sound strained, the rest of the music sounds uninspired. To me, this is utterly forgettable. 4/10.

Another filler. i find it so boring and very similar (musically) to losfer words. 5/10

The mid-section contains two awesome solos and nice twin guitar harmonies. I also really enjoy listening out for Steve's over-emhasised single bass note that is audible just after the end of the first solo.

The main riff is a nice little warm-up gallop for the epic gallop soon to follow during ROTAM.

...but the chorus disappoints.

Back