THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

I would've gone for ITPOE 1. The full ITPOE maybe, but the second part has a lot that I could do without. Most of what I enjoy about the second part is already in the first part and done better. Nice finale though.

(why isn’t it?)

Why, it is longer than NP's arbitrary threshold by precisely 38 seconds, most of which is made up by the silence between the tracks/intro to the second part.... whereas allegedly Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which is even longer (by 22 seconds - 26 mins even altogether) allegedly is in the game, I was made to believe?

I still consider it one song which is in the game.

EDIT: Ah, here it is, exceeding the limit by 13 seconds, actually. So I'm voting for this, symbolically.

Last edited:
If we consider epics, ITPOE is one while "Home" is just a... song. But the poll says song so I voted for it. (Damn, I started sounding like thousand_sun)
I always forget "Home" is that long, probably because I skip to beginning somewhere in the middle of the song. I'd rather listen to the first part twice than endure whatever that is in the second part.
On the other hand, ITPOE is weird. May sound strange, but hearing Part 1 for the first time I had a feeling like I'm missing something. Like, you have been put in the middle of the movie and you're frantically trying to connect all the dots. Second part is much better and I like throwback to the first part, but again, even if it 25 minutes long, I still have a feeling there is something missing within whole construction.

Home is a phenomenal song and one of the best concert moments I've experienced. ITPOE is a great song but simply not on the same level.

We recently did a Desert Island Discs as an office icebreaker, and I said I would take just one prog album, on the basis that listening to it would probably take up the rest of my life to listen to it, prog tracks are so long. I was reminded of this because I thought I could could drop in, have a quick listen, and vote in this survivor quickly. Then remembered the current definition of 'epic'.

Compared to its opponent, I find Home the duller track and the noises are annoying. In the Presence has a lot of cool parts, speed and variation. And also good melodies.

Home is a classic. ITPOE2 is cool, but it's not even close to Home in any way possible, not even if paired with ITPOE1.

Home is a classic, because it comes from a classicky-classic album that's so classic it classics above all the other classics, classically classicking like a pro.

Why, Home is nice, but it's mostly a blues jam. A good one, but out of those "central" tracks on SFAM, I prefer Beyond This Life by a long shot. It's just that BTL has better riff, a more intriguing instrumental section (including the funny Zappaesque madness) and is in general catchier. And no "immersive soundtrack noises". And no "He's my brother // But I love her". (though with "Dreadful ending: Killer died!")

ITPOE is an actual prog epic, with build-ups, subdued sections with hypnotic atmospheric pulsations, catchy tickle-sections coming full circle, y'know... actuall progress. But sure, let's go with the metalhead choice.

Back