THE CRUSADE OF EPICS: nominations CLOSED!

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Long-awaited sequel to the War of Epics will start this year!

For those who are unfamiliar with that game, check this and this thread out.

Format will be different this time around. Simpler, I think.

The game will start with 32 groups of 3 songs. Winners of each of these groups will battle it out knockout style later on.

Lists of songs for the game will be derived by your nominations. Last time it was through e-mail, this time you should send me your lists through PM.

Lists you send me don't need to be sorted by preference (but if you do it, please specify that you did, can't hurt). I'll probably get more lists than I need, but there will be duplicates for sure, and I will also take into account the times a song was nominated, for seeding purposes.

Lists should contain 7 songs.

Once I have enough songs, I will tell you to stop sending me lists.

Songs you can nominate:
  • metal/rock genre
  • from 09:00 to 25:00 minutes length
  • no Iron Maiden or any project involving a current or ex-Iron Maiden member
  • no live songs, no covers, no medleys

Now 9 mins is a real trick. I take it you're accepting prog under a 'rock' classification?

I nominate:
Primordial's The Coffin Ships, which is a heart-breaking masterpiece of a song on a real subject,
Primordial's As Rome Burns, which is simply a good song,
Primordial's Death Of The Gods, because of the lyrics,
Primordial's Where Lie The Gods, and
Primordial's Last Call, for being out of this world fucking masterpieces from a band that still hasn't got the recognition it deserves.
---
My Dying Bride's Turn Loose The Swans, The Return Of The Beautiful, Death Triumphant, Christliar;
Enslaved's 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne), Vetrarnótt (and all the other songs from the debut that qualify, Heimdallr being the only one that doesn't);
Negură Bunget's Țesarul de Lumini;
Dark Millennium's Brotherhood Sleep... Back to Treasureland and Pandemonium;
Satyricon's Dominions Of Satyricon, because.
Is 15 the new 7? :p

Still deciding on my list. May cut a couple that I hope will be submitted by others.

I nominate:
Primordial's The Coffin Ships, which is a heart-breaking masterpiece of a song on a real subject,
Primordial's As Rome Burns, which is simply a good song,
Primordial's Death Of The Gods, because of the lyrics,
Primordial's Where Lie The Gods, and
Primordial's Last Call, for being out of this world fucking masterpieces from a band that still hasn't got the recognition it deserves.
---
My Dying Bride's Turn Loose The Swans, The Return Of The Beautiful, Death Triumphant, Christliar;
Enslaved's 793 (Slaget om Lindisfarne), Vetrarnótt (and all the other songs from the debut that qualify, Heimdallr being the only one that doesn't);
Negură Bunget's Țesarul de Lumini;
Dark Millennium's Brotherhood Sleep... Back to Treasureland and Pandemonium;
Satyricon's Dominions Of Satyricon, because.
Is 15 the new 7? :p
Yeah... You need to pick 7, @Magnus and send it to me via PM :p

May cut a couple that I hope will be submitted by others.
Well unless it's something from Magnus' list, you won't know if someone else submits a song from your list :p

Well unless it's something from Magnus' list, you won't know if someone else submits a song from your list :p
Yep. I’m gonna pick which songs to leave off based on forum opinion as far as I can see, so hopefully someone else submits the ones I don’t. It’s tough, there’s so many great epics out there.

Yep. I’m gonna pick which songs to leave off based on forum opinion as far as I can see, so hopefully someone else submits the ones I don’t. It’s tough, there’s so many great epics out there.
Or pick what you like = more variety. I've picked some I know won't be universally popular, but I personally rate them and feel they deserve wider consideration.

I went with the first 7 epics that came to mind that I really like. No overthinking other than one song per artist. Also they all fit in the prog metal umbrella with one exception.

Alright, I'll list some honourable mentions:
Yes - Heart Of The Sunrise
Opeth - Godhead's Lament
Rush - 2112, Xanadu, Hemispheres, The Camera Eye
Meshuggah - In Death - Is Death
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part 1)
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Dream Theater - A Nightmare To Remember, The Spirit Carries On, Finally Free

I went with the first 7 epics that came to mind that I really like. No overthinking other than one song per artist. Also they all fit in the prog metal umbrella with one exception.
Good. I'll have my list when all the other lists are sent to me, but I already have a draft, and I came up with it from memory and from last.fm stats. I also used last.fm stats for LC's game.

Back