The Concert Thread

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by SomewhereInTime84, Oct 7, 2014.

1. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Saw Jackyl in concert for the first time last night. Still touring to promote 25th anniversary of first cd. Much more enjoyable than I expected. The singer Jesse plays rhythm guitar for half the show but what surprised me was that he played ALL the lead guitar on the songs I Stand Alone and When Will It Rain! He is a VERY funny frontman; almost a comedian. Was great at connecting with the audience. Did not know how much of a group of down home, good old boys Jackyl are (from Georgia). Really connected with the bikers and blue collars in the audience. Was a packed house on the Proof Rooftop Lounge in downtown Houston.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jackyl/2018/proof-rooftop-lounge-houston-tx-33eafc5d.html

2. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Just got tickets for Ghost in November! Updated concert list:

6/15 - Brandi Carlile
    7/2 - Paramore
    7/21 - Armored Saint
    7/22 - possible Armored Saint again
    7/29 - Foo Fighters
    8/22 - Judas Priest/Deep Purple
    9/13 - Amorphis
    9/21 - Alestorm/Gloryhammer

10/16 - Metallica
    11/1 - Ghost
    11/13 - Tenacious D

Night Prowler and terrell39 like this.
  3. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

July 28 - Heavy Montreal (Headliner: Rob Zombie, feat. Marilyn Manson, Emperor, Alestorm, Baroness...)
    July 29 - Heavy Montreal (Headliner: Avenged Sevenfold, feat. Gojira, Trivium, Nile, Demon Hunter, Gloryhammer...)
    Nov 4 - British Lion
    Dec 7 - Ghost

4. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

Last night I went to Stone Free festival at the O2 Arena in London. The arena itself is good but it's not my favourite venue as it's a very difficult place to get in and out of. The venue was built in the late 90s without post-Manchester bombing security checks in mind and as a result it takes way too long to get into the arena. Leaving the venue is a pain in the arse too as it's served by only one Underground station. Hopefully I won't have to go there again anytime soon.

I arrived at 4pm so didn't see many bands. The first band I saw was some English Rock band called Stone Broken who seemed OK but I only saw the last part of their set. After them was Orange Goblin whom I'd seen before at Download 11 years ago and enjoyed them. They were pretty good today but their songs all seemed very similar so after 45 minutes of their hour-long set I got fed up and left for the main arena. After spending ages in a queue I finally got in to see the last part of Buckcherry's set - I can safely say that I'm not a fan. The singer's voice is quite unpleasant and I only recognized a cover and their final song 'Crazy Bitch' which gets played in most Rock clubs. I saw them early on the main stage at Download 2007 and wasn't impressed then either.

The special guest for the first day of the festival was Megadave, who were potentially an odd booking as Stone Free is a Classic Rock festival, not a Metal festival. They played a good set though with Dave Mustaine preferring to play as much music as possible instead of speak to the audience, which is fine if you play a setlist like this. Two definite rarities in 'Rattlehead' and 'The Conjouring' along with a couple of token songs from 'Dystopia', plus all the major classics. I've definitely noticed an upturn in Megadave's live performances since Kiko Loureiro joined the band three years ago. He looks comfortable on stage with the two Daves and has more stage presence than his predecessor. Mustaine's vocals are still a bit low in the mix but nowhere near as bad as at Wembley Arena in 2015.

Scorpions were the headliner for the day. Their performance is visually spectacular with the big screens and the elevated drumkit for the solo, and it seems to me that it's also very well drilled. Something that frustrated me about their show is that they had far too many instrumental parts - and not necessarily even solos, just riffs most of the time. It all had the whiff of cabaret to it and gave me the impression that it was all about working through 90 minutes to get to 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' at the end. Their setlist had a handful of classics though which the crowd responded to but I feel that the set had no structure to it with too much riffing between proper songs. Scorpions have a lot of very good songs and I'd rather they played some of those than add in pointless instrumentals. I'm glad I got to see them again (first time was at another festival 3 years ago) and 'Tease Me, Please Me' was a particular highlight in what was definitely an enjoyable show.

Upcoming events:

28-30/06 Tremonti
    04/08 Iron Maiden/Killswitch Engage, Aberdeen
    07/08 Iron Maiden/Killswitch Engage, Birmingham
    09-12/08 Nightwish/Judas Priest/Gojira etc., Bloodstock Festival
    22-29/09 Halestorm
    12/10 Kamelot/Cellar Darling, London
    21/10 Threshold, London
    27/10 Annihilator, London

10/11 Within Temptation, Manchester
    08-11/12 Nightwish
    16/12 Kreator/Dimmu Borgir/Hatebreed, London
    16/04 Avantasia, London

I'll have to prioritize some of these if I ever get the money to buy concert tickets again. Halestorm is the ultimate priority after Bloodstock, then I'll sort the others out. I'm certain I won't have the time to see Tremonti now, particularly since the venue he was due to play in Glasgow has been severely damaged by a fire this weekend.

Xennon and terrell39 like this.
  5. The Dissident

The Dissident Invader

Black Wizard, I will agree with you the scorpions setlist has too many instrumentals, so much potential... Seen them twice first time it wasn't as noticeable in the set the 2nd it was much more noticeable.

Black Wizard likes this.
  6. Black Wizard

As I will be down in England at the end of next week I have decided to go a concert too. I've used a Ticketmster gift card to get a Tremonti ticket for their London show. Will have to look at the setlist. New album is pretty good though.

Ariana likes this.
  7. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

I got Halestorm tickets, out of a mere moment of "why not", I like a few songs, and they're only £20. And then Avatar were announced as the support act. They are worth the ticket price alone! First time I've been more excited about a support act than I have for the headliner.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  8. Black Wizard

I want to see Halestorm but I have to hold off on buying a ticket until I know about other things that might be happening around that time. Sadly both Saturday shows have sold out but I hope I can make the London show.

I've been to quite a few shows purely for the support, but then sometimes ended up preferring the headliner afterwards. In October I'm hoping to go to Kamelot's London show to see Cellar Darling support.

9. The Dissident

The Dissident Invader

I am also tempted to buy Halestorm tickets, although they are about 3 hours away and since they started co-headlining their sets have been shorter. But then again Viscious looks like it will be a strong album, they might end up coming closer...

10. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBarlowLeft Staff Member

Didn't go to Saxon after all. Free entrance, but in another city and it was raining and too cold, so I didn't feel like going. And looking at the setlist, I don't really care about any of those songs anyway.

11. The Dissident

The Dissident Invader

Went to Robert Plant, wow can he sing. Amazing screams in Babe and Whole Lotta Love. And just amazing overall showmanship

12. Black Wizard

On Friday I saw Tremonti play in the Shepherds Bush Empire in London. As I bought my ticket very late on I was in the second level of seating which was a strange experience as I'm always standing on the floor. The second level of seating was sparsely populated so the atmosphere was a bit odd but the people on the floor seemed to be having a good time. As I haven't been listening to this band for long I wasn't too familiar with the setlist but there are some really good songs in there. Mark hinted that they'd be back in November. He also had a new guitar tech for the show- it was fucking Myles Kennedy! :lol:

July is concert free. Nothing until Iron Maiden in Aberdeen in early August.

terrell39 likes this.
  13. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Call me Deacon Blues

Three days ago I saw the Stones live. Let me put it this way - financially, logistically, time-wise I had to pick between Maiden and the Stones this year. After reading reports from the Maiden tour and after I've seen the videos and heard the bootlegs, I was a tad afraid I made the wrong choice (seriously, all spoilers aside, if the Maiden show is anywhere near, go see it, it's awesome). But those old geezers made me not regret my decision in the end.

If I were to rate this concert, I'd give it a perfect 10/10 rating. It almost couldn't have been better. The sound was loud, yet crystal clear, the old blokes were vivacious and energetic and did their best, the songs moved you and your ass. The setlist might have been a tad too "classics-heavy", but then again, they did play "Like a Rolling Stone", which is a relative rarity, they let the concertgoers pick one song (why, of course the general public would rather hear Under My Thumb than Heartbreaker, pity) and out of all the eras I felt the only one seriously underrepresented was the "pop" period (Aftermath -> Satanic Majesties). But currently I'm in a place where I'd much rather hear a notorious Stones classic than a notorious Maiden classic. Given a choice, I think I would prefer listening to even Satisfaction for the millionth time, I can't say as much about Iron Maiden (the song). I think I still prefer Maiden in the grand scheme of things, 'cause their highlights move me more than the Stones' ones, but Stones are more consistent for me.

Also, there's something about the experience of hearing these songs live and realising that this very band has been playing some of these for 50-55 years. It was these guys who were the Beatles' main competitors (in a way), who were there at the Altamont, who were there when "rock 'n' roll" turned into "rock".

The highlight of the evening was Miss You - Darryl Jones is a monster (though what else would you expect from someone who played with Miles and Herbie, right?) and the whole song sounded fresh and groovy and completely blew the studio version (which I still like) away.

I guess they could have played Shine a Light, but then the evening might have become too perfect. Let alone the fact I still can't decide whether playing that one without Taylor is cool or not.

After my bout of panic attacks in late 2014/early 2015 I tried to avoid pretty much any kind of crowd, which included most concerts. Thanks to Mick, Keef, Ronnie and Charlie for pulling me out of that shell, for showing me how awesome the concerts can be. If you weren't there, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    terrell39 likes this.
  14. Ziggyplayedguitar

Ziggyplayedguitar Educated Fool

Went to see Roger Waters in Brum tonight.

Not the best view after being conned by live nation who sent me a worst seat than advertised.

No support act, I managed to avoid set list spoilers, which was basically a best of set.

Intro brought back memories of Live 8. Some of Rogers vocals were clearly canned, and he has been busted several times for this.

Yeah I get it, he’s 74 and wasn’t exactly a singer to begin with but still feels disingenuous. That said I think there are many more bands that cheat than people realise.

His guitarist sang a bunch of Dave Gilmour vocal tracks & was decent...

The political ranting was very overbearing and unnecessary, Our Roge is clearly trying to compete with Bonehead of U2.

I got a good programme for 15 squid, refused to drop 35 for a t shirt

Decent gig but was all seated and not much atmosphere. He played a couple of tracks off his new album, but nothing at all from his past solo records, which surprised me. 8/10

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    terrell39 likes this.
  15. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

July 28 - Heavy Montreal (Headliner: Rob Zombie, feat. Marilyn Manson, Emperor, Alestorm, Baroness...)
    July 29 - Heavy Montreal (Headliner: Avenged Sevenfold, feat. Gojira, Trivium, Nile, Demon Hunter, Gloryhammer...)
    Sept 22 - Alestorm feat. Gloryhammer
    Nov 4 - British Lion
    Dec 7 - Ghost