The Concert Thread

As I will be down in England at the end of next week I have decided to go a concert too. I've used a Ticketmster gift card to get a Tremonti ticket for their London show. Will have to look at the setlist. New album is pretty good though.

I got Halestorm tickets, out of a mere moment of "why not", I like a few songs, and they're only £20. And then Avatar were announced as the support act. They are worth the ticket price alone! First time I've been more excited about a support act than I have for the headliner.

Last edited:
I want to see Halestorm but I have to hold off on buying a ticket until I know about other things that might be happening around that time. Sadly both Saturday shows have sold out but I hope I can make the London show.

I've been to quite a few shows purely for the support, but then sometimes ended up preferring the headliner afterwards. In October I'm hoping to go to Kamelot's London show to see Cellar Darling support.

I am also tempted to buy Halestorm tickets, although they are about 3 hours away and since they started co-headlining their sets have been shorter. But then again Viscious looks like it will be a strong album, they might end up coming closer...

Didn't go to Saxon after all. Free entrance, but in another city and it was raining and too cold, so I didn't feel like going. And looking at the setlist, I don't really care about any of those songs anyway.

On Friday I saw Tremonti play in the Shepherds Bush Empire in London. As I bought my ticket very late on I was in the second level of seating which was a strange experience as I'm always standing on the floor. The second level of seating was sparsely populated so the atmosphere was a bit odd but the people on the floor seemed to be having a good time. As I haven't been listening to this band for long I wasn't too familiar with the setlist but there are some really good songs in there. Mark hinted that they'd be back in November. He also had a new guitar tech for the show- it was fucking Myles Kennedy! :lol:

July is concert free. Nothing until Iron Maiden in Aberdeen in early August.

Three days ago I saw the Stones live. Let me put it this way - financially, logistically, time-wise I had to pick between Maiden and the Stones this year. After reading reports from the Maiden tour and after I've seen the videos and heard the bootlegs, I was a tad afraid I made the wrong choice (seriously, all spoilers aside, if the Maiden show is anywhere near, go see it, it's awesome). But those old geezers made me not regret my decision in the end.

If I were to rate this concert, I'd give it a perfect 10/10 rating. It almost couldn't have been better. The sound was loud, yet crystal clear, the old blokes were vivacious and energetic and did their best, the songs moved you and your ass. The setlist might have been a tad too "classics-heavy", but then again, they did play "Like a Rolling Stone", which is a relative rarity, they let the concertgoers pick one song (why, of course the general public would rather hear Under My Thumb than Heartbreaker, pity) and out of all the eras I felt the only one seriously underrepresented was the "pop" period (Aftermath -> Satanic Majesties). But currently I'm in a place where I'd much rather hear a notorious Stones classic than a notorious Maiden classic. Given a choice, I think I would prefer listening to even Satisfaction for the millionth time, I can't say as much about Iron Maiden (the song). I think I still prefer Maiden in the grand scheme of things, 'cause their highlights move me more than the Stones' ones, but Stones are more consistent for me.

Also, there's something about the experience of hearing these songs live and realising that this very band has been playing some of these for 50-55 years. It was these guys who were the Beatles' main competitors (in a way), who were there at the Altamont, who were there when "rock 'n' roll" turned into "rock".

The highlight of the evening was Miss You - Darryl Jones is a monster (though what else would you expect from someone who played with Miles and Herbie, right?) and the whole song sounded fresh and groovy and completely blew the studio version (which I still like) away.

I guess they could have played Shine a Light, but then the evening might have become too perfect. Let alone the fact I still can't decide whether playing that one without Taylor is cool or not.

After my bout of panic attacks in late 2014/early 2015 I tried to avoid pretty much any kind of crowd, which included most concerts. Thanks to Mick, Keef, Ronnie and Charlie for pulling me out of that shell, for showing me how awesome the concerts can be. If you weren't there, you wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Went to see Roger Waters in Brum tonight.

Not the best view after being conned by live nation who sent me a worst seat than advertised.

No support act, I managed to avoid set list spoilers, which was basically a best of set.

Intro brought back memories of Live 8. Some of Rogers vocals were clearly canned, and he has been busted several times for this.

Yeah I get it, he’s 74 and wasn’t exactly a singer to begin with but still feels disingenuous. That said I think there are many more bands that cheat than people realise.

His guitarist sang a bunch of Dave Gilmour vocal tracks & was decent...

The political ranting was very overbearing and unnecessary, Our Roge is clearly trying to compete with Bonehead of U2.

I got a good programme for 15 squid, refused to drop 35 for a t shirt

Decent gig but was all seated and not much atmosphere. He played a couple of tracks off his new album, but nothing at all from his past solo records, which surprised me. 8/10

Last edited:
July 28 - Heavy Montreal (Headliner: Rob Zombie, feat. Marilyn Manson, Emperor, Alestorm, Baroness...)
July 29 - Heavy Montreal (Headliner: Avenged Sevenfold, feat. Gojira, Trivium, Nile, Demon Hunter, Gloryhammer...)
Sept 22 - Alestorm feat. Gloryhammer
Nov 4 - British Lion
Dec 7 - Ghost

I tried to get a Halestorm ticket yesterday as I've finally find out that I would be able to go. However, it turns out that the entire UK tour has been sold out since the start of last month. All the resale sites are at least double the actual price of the tickets. I'm very frustrated about this as I've known about the tour since it was announced but couldn't buy a ticket until I knew where I'd be living and could be sure I wouldn't have anything clashing. In hindsight I should've just bought a ticket and hoped for the best. Fucking annoying.

Resale sites are fucking garbage. I bought 3 Ghost tickets when they announced in Montreal. Now GA is sold out and resale is at like $175, which is a full hundred more than the tickets.

I get print at home tickets, so...meh.

Putting together our Heavy Montreal schedule, looking like this:
Saturday: Born of Osiris, Pallbearer, Lee Aaron, Sword, Baronness, Witchcraft, Alestorm, I Prevail or Napalm Death, Underoath, Marilyn Manson, Emperor, Rob Zombie
Sunday: Intervals, Helix, Emmure, Demon Hunter, Ultra Vomit, Warbringer, Gloryhammer, Trivium, Gojira, (sigh) Limp Bizkit

I get print at home tickets, so...meh.
I sometimes get those, but prefer to get a real ticket in the post.

Saturday: Born of Osiris, Pallbearer, Lee Aaron, Sword, Baronness, Witchcraft, Alestorm, I Prevail or Napalm Death, Underoath, Marilyn Manson, Emperor, Rob Zombie
Sunday: Intervals, Helix, Emmure, Demon Hunter, Ultra Vomit, Warbringer, Gloryhammer, Trivium, Gojira, (sigh) Limp Bizkit
Doesn't look like a great line-up to me. Gojira are great of course, then there's Alestorm and Gloryhammer (partially the same band?) for the novelty/fun factor, but it's mostly a bit rubbish.

When is it? Pallbearer, Alestorm, Emperor and Gojira will all be at Bloodstock festival in three weeks time which I'll be at. after another couple of Iron Maiden shows.

I saw Limp Bizkit at Hellfest. I was never much of a fan but had a soft spot for tunes like Rollin' and Break Stuff. They were a surprising highlight of the weekend, fun tunes and the crowd was into it. From that line up, I'd like to see Sword although their last 2 albums are much less to my liking than previous efforts.

All I have is Maiden in Belfast on the 2nd August.
Contemplating Ministry tomorrow night. I think if it was a weekend, I'd definitely go but its a school night and I am not a proper fan so who knows. Chelsea Wolf support, never listened to them.
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats have been announced for January. This pleases me.

Back