The Clairvoyant

How good is The Clairvoyant on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
The Clairvoyant is a weird one for me. For a long time I mostly associated the intro with my feelings for this song, which is a shame since it's by far my least favorite part of the song. It's not bad per se, but the happy-go-lucky feeling at this part of the album experience is a bit misplaced in my opinion. Particularly considering the feeling of the rest of the song and the lyrics themselves.

The verses, the chorus, the instrumental sections; they're all phenomenal. Every now and then we return to the intro riff though. It's inoffensive when used as the backing for the solo and it does work well for the outro. It's just the intro specifically that I'm not the biggest fan of. Because of that this one will "only" get a 9.

Every now and then we return to the intro riff though. It's inoffensive when used as the backing for the solo and it does work well for the outro. It's just the intro specifically that I'm not the biggest fan of.
The reunion albums have several songs with the intro further used as the main or chorus riff, in more distorted tuning (Ghost Of The Navigator, These Colours Don't Run, you name it), even The Evil That Men Do has the intro melody again during the chorus. But hey, that works most of the time!

The reunion albums have several songs with the intro further used as the main or chorus riff, in more distorted tuning (Ghost Of The Navigator, These Colours Don't Run, you name it), even The Evil That Men Do has the intro melody again during the chorus. But hey, that works most of the time!
That's not what I meant. I'm specifically not a fan of the riff itself in The Clairvoyant. It's too happy for me. It gets reused in different parts which I don't mind, but the way it is in the intro I dislike.

This wasn't about repitition, I have no issues with that whatsoever; it's this very specific riff that I don't like. Hope that makes it clearer.

Back