"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should wait for actual release to criticize the production value of the album
Yes, i agree, but i'm talking about the criticism so far. I don't really get what problem people are having with the production, and honestly i feel like it's going to be another case of "Kevin sucks", something i was never able to understand

Love the production
Some of the songs are great, some are crap

The ones that are bad are too repetitive

This album could have been cut to 60 min and then it would have been supreme. For now there is a lot of chaff to sort through

Love the production

This album could have been cut to 60 min and then it would have been supreme. For now there is a lot of chaff to sort through

What songs don't you like? and on the point of repetition this is definitely their least repetitive since FOTD

Yeah this album is not as offensive with repetitiveness as previous offerings. As a matter of fact, I think there is much more going on here than any post reunion album. If any song had the potential to be repetitive as hell, its TRATB and to my surprise, it never tires out.

Love the production

I found the songs of this album less repetitive than previous ones... each song is perfect and the intros are shorter, the instrumentals more varied and melodic and Empire Of Clouds is mindblowing, a true masterpiece... So no, I don't agree with you... it should have been longer, the entire listening didn't feel like 90 minutes... it felt like 60...

Regarding the production, i listened to the whole album several times yesterday on my computer speakers (Harmon Kardon - not bad speakers) and it sounds OK. Now i have an empty house so i gave it a spin on my "proper" system (at high volume, naturally) and i really noticed how crappy the MP3 leak sounds. After comparing to the recent Onkyo FLAC of AMOLAD there is a world of difference. I suspect some of the complaints about the production may just stem from the compressed source. Can't wait to get the CD of this bad boy and crank it up properly :)

I agree this album is the perfect length, not too long not too short for this music. when it was announced i thought it would be a chore to listen to but my first 2 listens just flew by.... That's 3 hours and it didn't feel like much more than 1

I'm curious how they manage to do this kind of album. We can hear elements from the past and many, many new tricks. It's amazing. Is it that new method of recording help them?

I'm curious how they manage to do this kind of album. We can hear elements from the past and many, many new tricks. It's amazing. Is it that new method of recording help them?
I'm a big fan of most of post-reunion maiden but after listening to TBOS it makes me think the last 3 albums had too much thought put into the songs, the fact that they can write and play songs of this quality just by playing off the bat and completely spontaneously makes me think not overthinking what to play and just play what comes to them is when maiden are at there best. Right now i think TBOS blows the last 8 studio albums out of the water

It's hard to judge this album right now, but it can be their best since FotD, maybe even earlier. The only serious rival at this moment is AMOLAD but I like this fresh feeling of BoS little bit more. BNW doesn't work for me and I think that it is a little bit overrated album. Great but not like second best thing since sliced bread.

I thought the guitars were sublime. I haven't heard them sound like this ever. The production with respect to the instruments is excellent. The drum sound is spot on.

Bruce on the other hand is a mixed bag on this record. On the mid to slow tempo songs, he can hit the notes with ease and he sounds in control, dramatic and well Bruce as we all love him. On the faster stuff, some twat insists he keep up with the rest of them at 100mph whilst still hitting the notes. He manages just about, but the strain is obvious. I get the feeling some of the production quibbles maybe down to the muddiness that emanates from a singer overdoing it.

Having said all this, I think this will end up being a grower. It certainly better than its predecessors this century, and some of the instrumental sections are just jaw dropping.

It's hard to judge this album right now, but it can be their best since FotD, maybe even earlier. The only serious rival at this moment is AMOLAD but I like this fresh feeling of BoS little bit more. BNW doesn't work for me and I think that it is a little bit overrated album. Great but not like second best thing since sliced bread.

A Point of this album is that it dips into all era's of maiden, WTRRD & DoG have a NOTB/POM feel, IESF & SOTV could fit into SIT, SOL has a NPFTD/FOTD feel, TGU has a nice AMOLAD vibe to it. i think every maidenfan should really, really like at least 1 song from this album if not all of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back