"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the production
Some of the songs are great, some are crap

The ones that are bad are too repetitive

This album could have been cut to 60 min and then it would have been supreme. For now there is a lot of chaff to sort through
I think it could be cut to 60 minutes but more because of lack of vocals than repetitiveness.

Yeah I don't think there is going to be a next time.

I wouldn't be so sure, it seems as if the history tours are all over and done with so we could see a new album being recorded at the end of 2017 and released in 2018. Its clear the band are on creative form, producing their first double album and still having leftovers, and that they can still play at the world class standard we expect.

When was the last time you found a difference in production when you got the actual copy?
Every album I've listened to pre-release has sounded better post-release and that's not just with Maiden

Edit: Although Redeemer of Souls wasn't much better

Yes, i agree, but i'm talking about the criticism so far. I don't really get what problem people are having with the production, and honestly i feel like it's going to be another case of "Kevin sucks", something i was never able to understand

Like @syriaca said a boatload of pages back, there just isn't much cohesion between levels of tracks. It sounds like a rough mix were there still are a lot of levels to set. In general, you set rhythm guitars to one level, and then you put leads in front of them. In this mix, some sections appears louder than others, guitar-dubs come in and out and it just seems like there's no thought out layering of instruments and vocals. Adrian plays a solo, and then comes Dave much lower in the mix, with a tone that just disappears.

That is a criticism of my part, but it doesn't ruin an album by itself. But here we add a band that doesn't seem to know the material fully. It sounds like they're rehearsing for the first few times, before every part has been worked out fully. "Eternity" is obviously well played all the way through which is logical since it was the only song that was done and demoed before they started recording, but "The Red and the Black" and the others just... The whole band speeds up awkwardly not only between a section and another, but during sections. During some transitions they stumble, almost topple over.

I think the album is about a great many degrees too spontaneous. These points gave A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier an edge that was reminiscent of their live performances - but they know the material they play live much better than this. It sounds uncertain instead of energetic.

Reactions: Gk1
Not that anyone cares but I think this is not going to end well for me. They have done some steps in the right direction e.g. 3 guitar harmonies, good guitar work,shorter and to the point intros,less repetitive choruses.
However the songs seem to - me - to miss hooks and catchy parts. 3-4 times I checked my watch while listening to the album and this is not good. Steve has lost the measure, in my opinion TRATB is so pointless and repetitive that I almost value it as a cult song.
At least 3 of the songs a way too long and I am afraid I agree to the fact that the instrumental parts in EOTC are not only repetitive but a bit pointless as well. I'll now wait for the official release The CD would most definitely have a much better sound. I know it is too early still....I appreciate quite a few thinks on the album but unfortunately the niggles are more.IN MY OPINION.

Like @syriaca said a boatload of pages back, there just isn't much cohesion between levels of tracks. It sounds like a rough mix were there still are a lot of levels to set. In general, you set rhythm guitars to one level, and then you put leads in front of them. In this mix, some sections appears louder than others, guitar-dubs come in and out and it just seems like there's no thought out layering of instruments and vocals. Adrian plays a solo, and then comes Dave much lower in the mix, with a tone that just disappears.

That is a criticism of my part, but it doesn't ruin an album by itself. But here we add a band that doesn't seem to know the material fully. It sounds like they're rehearsing for the first few times, before every part has been worked out fully. "Eternity" is obviously well played all the way through which is logical since it was the only song that was done and demoed before they started recording, but "The Red and the Black" and the others just... The whole band speeds up awkwardly not only between a section and another, but during sections. During some transitions they stumble, almost topple over.

I think the album is about a great many degrees too spontaneous. These points gave A Matter of Life and Death and The Final Frontier an edge that was reminiscent of their live performances - but they know the material they play live much better than this. It sounds uncertain instead of energetic.
You got me thinking, and i'm ususally not at all a "conspirative" kind of guy, but... Is it possible that the leak is, in fact, made out of rough mixes?

I'm very sorry for people who check their watches and feel this album is too long. I have listened to it twice this morning and literally thought I'd only been up for 2 hours - been up for over 3 at that point! This album is too short if anything, at least for me.

Don't worry, people who want short albums. They still made Seventh Son and earlier.

The Book of Souls will be considered by casual listeners & mainstream audiences to be Iron Maiden's return to form

The epics of this album are all amazing. On par with DoD or Paschendale. Mesmerizing solos and melodies. The album grows with each listen. Only song i havent got into is Man of Sorrows. Will get there to like it soon enough i think.

I'm very sorry for people who check their watches and feel this album is too long. I have listened to it twice this morning and literally thought I'd only been up for 2 hours - been up for over 3 at that point! This album is too short if anything, at least for me.

Don't worry, people who want short albums. They still made Seventh Son and earlier.
I really don't understand why people moan about the lenght of Iron Maiden albums. I mean, as a fan, if the band was to release 4 albums at the same time, i would be thrilled. As a fan, i always want more and more music from the band, so i'm fine with 92 minutes instead of 40 or something, especially when those 92 minutes are filled with GREAT music. As far as i'm concerned, Maiden should release 7 albums in a row. Weekly. Forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back