"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Maiden - 5
Killers - 6
TNOTB - 6
POM - 7
Powerslave - 5
SIT - 9
7th Son - 9
NPFTD - 4
FOTD - 7
TXF - 10
VXI - 4
BNW - 9
DOD - 7
AMOLAD - 10
TFF - 10
TBOS - ?

Heresy? :applause:

Heresy (ish). A nice shit sandwich coming up

AMOLAD 10 Good choice

Powerslave 5 TXF 10 WTFF

SIT 9 7th 9 Nice

Would add killers and NOB with 9 each

The album has been called the best since Seventh Son in one review and the best since Brave New World in another. I can't freaking take the excitement over this!

Brave New World is a masterpiece IMHO. I would go so far as to say the best album in Maidens entire catalogue. And yes, nearly flawless. As close to flawless as albums get, anyways. If Book of Souls can come anywhere near that, then it's gonna be absolutely amazing.

edit: And thanks, Travis. Great to be here! :)

Agreed! Why are there fans that find fault with Brave New World? What's not to like?

Well, to be perfectly honest, Brave New World is the only Maiden album that has grown off me quite substantially. I don't hate it by any means, but ever since I delved into the rest of Maidens back catalogue (Brave New World was actually the first studio album I had bought from Maiden) it just feels kind of...bland. Every Maiden album, to my ears, has a distinct personality, whether its the emotionally charged Somewhere in Time, the exotically mystical Seventh Son, the zealous waltz of Dance of Death, the dark brooding grandeur of AMOLAD or the sonic menagerie of The Final Frontier, among all the other albums. But whenever I listen to Brave New World its just a bit...sterile in comparison (in my opinion.) It still has some great moments here and there, but its definitely the album I jam the least.
Luckily, at the end of the day, its the diversity of opinions regarding Maidens albums that make up part of the magic.

Well, to be perfectly honest, Brave New World is the only Maiden album that has grown off me quite substantially. I don't hate it by any means, but ever since I delved into the rest of Maidens back catalogue (Brave New World was actually the first studio album I had bought from Maiden) it just feels kind of...bland. Every Maiden album, to my ears, has a distinct personality, whether its the emotionally charged Somewhere in Time, the exotically mystical Seventh Son, the zealous waltz of Dance of Death, the dark brooding grandeur of AMOLAD or the sonic menagerie of The Final Frontier, among all the other albums. But whenever I listen to Brave New World its just a bit...sterile in comparison (in my opinion.) It still has some great moments here and there, but its definitely the album I jam the least.
Luckily, at the end of the day, its the diversity of opinions regarding Maidens albums that make up part of the magic.

I agree with your assessment of all the albums you mentioned. In much the same way I find Brave New World to be bright and progressive, a return to form, and what could have been the natural successor to Seventh Son had that line of thinking been allowed to continue at that time. Not to mention its historical significance as the triumphant return of two of the bands most vital members.

Liar! It is the collective opinion regarding Maiden albums being so singular and bullheaded that it can be presented as obvious fact that makes up all of the magic!

I did a web booking of TBOS copy at a large record store here in Athens. I just got the confirmation that the CD would be available in the next 10-15 working days. If this the case I'll get my copy 4-5 days after the official release date. This is always the case here. It is like you are forced to download an illegal album version.

Last edited:
After two hundred and sixty pages I’ve decided to join the thread (I have read all the previous posts, however :p ). I didn’t think it would be possible, but I’ve listened to SoL only once so far. I didn’t want to become obsessed over the song and past experience dictates it won’t be the strongest cut of the album. It’s good, it really is, but also somewhat average. Better than Wildest Dreams, maybe even better than the Wicker Man (whom I like mostly combined with the Navigator hanging on its coattails) - something’s missing from the utmost perfection of Rainmaker, I believe.
I don’t mind the cowbell (it’s funny and it reminds me of the GnR’s Nightrain, really, every time I hear it) and I don't mind the production - as I've already admitted in another thread, I usually can't say whether the production is good or bad; I like the "feeling" (electronic) of SiT, I like the "dry, sandy" tones of PoM and Powerslave and I really hate the ... (mastering? I believe) on DoD which obviously took the page from the Rick Rubin/Californication/Death Magnetic/What's the Story Morning Glory playbook. I don't know jack about production and I won't pretend I do - Speed of Light sounds good and that's it.

I just think nowadays Maiden’s short rockers can’t help but to feel a little… maybe “bland” is the word (with the exception of Alchemist and Rainmaker). It’s good, but nothing essential. The short rockers were pretty much never the reason I've listened to Maiden, so fine. The video is great! :clap:

I’m looking forward to the album - simply because it’s another reunion album, and you all know how I like my reunion albums. :D

It's funny how some people think that Maiden paid even the smaller sites for good reviews. Why didn't they do that on previous albums ? is it all a conspiracy by every media outlet (magazines, sites) to convince us that TBOS is a great album ? Even the guy in terrorizer (they gave TFF a 7) that will probably do the review and has listened to the album 20 (!!!) times says that it is a masterpiece .

Fans here will never reach a consensus on maiden albums. It seems even within the fan base, fan favorite albums are highly different. Personally i didnt like Virtual XI at all apart from Clansman and yet some people give it 10/10. I guess Maiden has such a huge fanbase because it appeals to different people in different ways.

Fans here will never reach a consensus on maiden albums. It seems even within the fan base, fan favorite albums are highly different. Personally i didnt like Virtual XI at all apart from Clansman and yet some people give it 10/10. I guess Maiden has such a huge fanbase because it appeals to different people in different ways.
And wouldn't it be dull if we all agreed! The diversity of the fan base and the music is what makes it so great. What an incredible achievement for so few to connect with so many, in so many different ways and for so many different reasons from so many different backgrounds. As a community there is probably no other statistically significant commonality other than being maidenheads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back