"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find TFF to be similar to DoD in terms of its overall strength. The high water marks on these two albums (Rainmaker, DoD, Paschendale, Coming Home, The Talisman, WTWWB, etc.) are among my most favorite songs ever but the consistency of the albums isn't quite as high as it is on BNW and AMOLAD.

I felt the same as @dostoevsky in regards to TFF, I found it very interesting. But I can't think of one song that amazes me start to finish. Talisman is definitely the closest, great riffs and vocals, but the mid section, though interesting, just doesn't do anything for me.

I find that DoD shares a lot of similar characteristics in relation to the more experimental nature, mirrored in the mixing. But DoD has Paschendale and Rainmaker which I can't fault, start to finish.

But let's be honest. Even a "bad" maiden album is still pretty good.

I like it quite a lot, can you explain why? I like melodies and lyrics but production… Hard to explain, it's little too flat and clean for me.

The production isn't great, but it's something I get used to after a few minutes of listening to an album.

In terms of lyrics it's one of their strongest, but musically it's mediocre - especially songs like TFF, El Dorado and The Alchemist.

Don't get me wrong, there some great moments on this album. My two favourite songs are Coming Home and The Talisman, there are some interesting parts on the rest of the album. Starblind would have been a great song, had it not been for its over-complicated structure (it really is, and I'm speaking as a fan of bands like Rush, Mastodon or The Dillinger Escape Plan). WTWWB is a nice song, but musically it's not as epic as other post-1999 Maiden epics. TMWWBK has an absolutely incredible instrumental part (from 4:00), but overall it sounds like a leftover from VXI sessions. And even though I like the more complex songs on AMOLAD, the intros on The Talisman and Isle of Avalon are way too long.

I find TFF to be similar to DoD in terms of its overall strength. The high water marks on these two albums (Rainmaker, DoD, Paschendale, Coming Home, The Talisman, WTWWB, etc.) are among my most favorite songs ever but the consistency of the albums isn't quite as high as it is on BNW and AMOLAD.

Yes.

The Alchemist is weakest point of TFF but comming home and starblind are amazing. Strength of WTWWB is in lyrics, not in music. But again - some parts are fun to listen. I love the flow of Isle of Avalon.

To be fair - These colors don't run is quite party pooper on this album, for me at least. I hope that SOL is TCDR of BoS
Like it's been said before, the short rockers released as singles on the last 4 Maiden albums have not represented what the rest of the albums were like so I wouldn't worry in the least about the rest of TBOS sounding like SOL.

The Alchemist is weakest point of TFF but comming home and starblind are amazing. Strength of WTWWB is in lyrics, not in music. But again - some parts are fun to listen. I love the flow of Isle of Avalon.
With The Alchemist having 5 different vocal parts from Bruce in a row, I consider it to be Maiden's 2nd best short rocker of all time. Aces High has my most favorite vocal performance in the history of everything so that's number 1 of course.

With The Alchemist having 5 different vocal parts from Bruce in a row, I consider it to be Maiden's 2nd best short rocker of all time. Aces High has my most favorite vocal performance in the history of everything so that's number 1 of course.
I get that but I love great lyrics that "hook me" from first note. Sadly - the alchemist doesn't work on me at all, it's "just a song". From other band - it would be groundbreaking but on TFF it is … only track that I skip. Sometimes.

Anyone here watch Metalocalypse? The listening party thing from today reminds me of that episode where some Dethklok fans won a trip to take a tour of Mordhaus and hear a secret new song.

I love that show!

02tfhLD.jpg

I get that but I love great lyrics that "hook me" from first note. Sadly - the alchemist doesn't work on me at all, it's "just a song". From other band - it would be groundbreaking but on TFF it is … only track that I skip. Sometimes.
See I think a song like that is necessary and perfectly placed for TFF. It's like they're giving us a break before the onslaught of epics.

I actually like when they put short songs in between long songs to give us a break. With TFF, they saved all of them for the 2nd half so it will be nice to be back to them being more mixed on TBOS.

I agree that it's nice they're going back to mixing it up, but I like that they tried it the way they did on TFF at least once.
Ya, that was cool. Plus, once I've heard an album all the way through a number of times, I tend to skip around to songs I'm in the mood for so the order doesn't really matter in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back