"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce lost interest on Somewhere In Time (he doesn't like it at all!) and he said that Seventh Son was child's play as a conceptual album when compared to Operation: Mindcrime. Mind you he lost interest on the band on 2 of the most brilliant albums; from there on, he stayed in the band maybe for contractual reasons as he was already working on his solo material.

Yep,the old story about his acoustic songs being left out.And all these years later we get extended acoustic intros and slow songs :). AND NOW HE GOT TO WRITE 3O MINUTES OF MUSIC IN A MAIDEN ALBUM

The first single off Maiden albums have usually been released 2 or 3 weeks before the album, bar the very early albums and that was usually because the UK tour had kicked off before the album had been released.

Benjamin Breeg was 2 weeks before, Wildest Dreams 1 week, Wickerman 3 weeks, Angel and the Gambler 2 weeks, Man on the edge 1 week, Be Quick 4 weeks, Holy Smoke 3 weeks, Can I Play with Madness 3 weeks, Wasted Years 3 weeks, 23:58 4 weeks, Flight of Icarus 5 weeks, Run to the Hills 5 weeks, Twilight Zone/Wrathchild 4 weeks and Running Free 9 weeks.
I swear I remember getting a first song around 2 months before the album's release date with the last 3 or 4 albums. Maybe it wasn't an actual single though.

Also, wasn't El Dorado considered a promo single? I honestly do not know the difference between a 'single' and a 'promo single', but I believe it was.

As I recall, "El Dorado" was a proper single. There was a cover and everything.

A "promo" is sent out to radio stations and the likes, and not released to the public or made part of the artist's discography. Usually it's just a special pressing of something that's going to be released later. The rarest collector's items are often promo versions of singles, because only a few copies are ever made.

Also, wasn't El Dorado considered a promo single? I honestly do not know the difference between a 'single' and a 'promo single', but I believe it was.

Promo single = sent to radio/media outlets
single= I can go buy it

El Dorado was not released for sale in any physical format

... at least that is how I understand it

I believe we were given El Dorado immediately for download when the album was announced. I don't care about actual physical single releases as much, I just hope we get to hear something online or otherwise ASAP.

I gotta say the more i look at the cover art the more i like it. I've hated pretty much every eddie since riggs stopped painting him. At least this time they got eddies nose right.

I gotta say the more i look at the cover art the more i like it. I've hated pretty much every eddie since riggs stopped painting him. At least this time they got eddies nose right.
Same here, I hated it at first, but not it's my wallpaper on my phone.

The Metal Archives (who are usually extremely factual) says that on top of the song being released free online, it "Also (was) released as a 1-track promotional CD-single.".

EDIT: Link

Yeah, but note how that is just some additional information, since that site doesn't usually list promo releases. For instance, Coming Home was also released as a 1-track promo CD. Those are CDs sent out to radio stations and other outlets, not for general sale.

El Dorado was a proper single, it just was released as a digital download instead of a physical copy. Coming Home, on the other hand, was a promo single meaning it was only sent to radio stations.

Who knows guys?!Maybe they'll just release the Speed of light as they are not going to tour soon.As stated by other people most of their albums releases found Maiden already on tour - so they released something even 2 months prior to the album - to support the tour and to also play something new on the road

Just crossed on my path a report about the Chachapoya tribe and they're known as 'People of the Clouds'. Maybe there's a link with Bruce's own epic.

Just crossed on my path a report about the Chachapoya tribe and they're known as 'People of the Clouds'. Maybe there's a link with Bruce's own epic.
I think , given Bruce's 2nd love this one will be about flying.

Or Bioshock Infinite, who knows :)

I agree with you but, Bruce is a historian with degree and these people lived in the Andes throughout the Amazonian region (they're also called 'Warriors of the Clouds'). Maybe during TFF world tour, Bruce visited the site where they lived and it sparkled interest about this tribe and genial as he is, he could've perfectly mingled this issue with that of the book.

All I know is that it all turns the waiting for this album very exciting!

Last edited:
Nope...I think this album is about Africa. You know..."Dark continent" and "cradle of all life", Congo river - deepest river on the world (over 220 meters deep in some parts or "River that runs deep";)), Dogons and the Sirius mystery, pyramids, spinosaurus aegyptiacus etc....Then, look at this african masks:

21obkpi.jpg

Also, think about Livingstone and Henry Morton Stanley:
jhbthy.jpg

I like the idea about Maiden doing a song about Livingstone, "The Great Unknown" of course...

How about this for being the basis behind "Death or Glory"? if we're keeping the Africa theme...;)

In the heat of battle you have a choice: Death or Glory . . .

Libya, 1942 - Rommel's Africa Korps is sweeping across the desert. Ragged Allied forces are being torn apart in brutal fire-fights on the scorched sands. A desperate message to the Prime Minister is entrusted to First Officer Madeleine Rose, WRNS. Her codename: Runefish.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Glory-The-Last-Commando/dp/0141040823

Nope...I think this album is about Africa. You know..."Dark continent" and "cradle of all life", Congo river - deepest river on the world (over 220 meters deep in some parts or "River that runs deep";)), Dogons and the Sirius mystery, pyramids, spinosaurus aegyptiacus etc....Then, look at this african masks:

21obkpi.jpg

Also, think about Livingstone and Henry Morton Stanley:
jhbthy.jpg
Wow, Bruce with a African explorer costume would be so crazy!
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/09/24/books/ther190.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back