"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maiden could pull a Kiss and each member release a solo album.
1. I was talking about Maiden as a Collective
2. No thanks, don't wanna hear Steve or Nicko singing

giphy.gif

Am I the nly one who dislike it when a lead guitar follows the vocal melody in the verses ?
TRATB And WTWWB for examples.
Nope. One of my main issues with TRATB is that the vocal lines already sound a bit whiny and the high-pitched guitar just reinforces it. It didn't bother me as much on Wild Wind, but that's probably because the song was kinda nursery rhymish. Not sure what Steve was going for on Red and Black.

Two days in and now I don't even know how to rate the album when comparing it to others. I seriously think this one just stands out. I know this is early but I cannot see any of the previous modern albums getting more play time than this. As a matter of fact, its almost as if this one is just an evolution of the others while being relatively unique. These bastards. They have made it difficult for me to listen to TFF and AMOLAD now. Forget DoD and BNW.
Agreed. Of course, it's way to soon to make any final judgements but I am sure it will stand the test of time and I am beginning to think that this in the future will be up there with the golden era classics. There simply aren't any bad tracks on this one, and pulling out individual bits from the record, it is among the greatest stuff I've ever heard.

Contrary to reviews and most opinions, The red and the black doesn't really do it for me, sounds too similar to many other Harris tunes. The rest of the album though just keeps growing. It's fantastic.

Nope. One of my main issues with TRATB is that the vocal lines already sound a bit whiny and the high-pitched guitar just reinforces it. It didn't bother me as much on Wild Wind, but that's probably because the song was kinda nursery rhymish. Not sure what Steve was going for on Red and Black.
For now, TRATB and SOL are my least favorite songs. But the rest is very good, for my taste. But, I was hoping to have a 10/10 rating on one of the new album songs and it has not happened. But a lot of 8/10's, and two 6/10 with TRATB and SOL.

In the cold light of day it is a good album. Try to digest the music,then also get the CD in a week. Let it sink and we'll soeak again.And before I forget let PC back in.

For now, TRATB and SOL are my least favorite songs. But the rest is very good, for my taste. But, I was hoping to have a 10/10 rating on one of the new album songs and it has not happened. But a lot of 8/10's, and two 6/10 with TRATB and SOL.
Eternity 10/10
Great Unknown 10/10
Red and Black 10/10
Souls 10/10
Shadows 10/10
Empire 10/10t

Yes, we all have our tastes, but If I was able, I would give you what I was feeling. Cause it's the greatest fucking feeling ever!

Shadows is my least favorite ... still a solid song, but it seems to be a drop in quality for me. They could chop 2 minutes off of it.

the rest ranges from really good to awesome

It is good that everyone is so happy with the album but let's face it..........it is too early to actually have a solid opinion about it. All this better that this...... and better since......... sound kind of funny to me.
It's always too early to rank the albums, in my opinion. Depending on what mood I'm in, I'm more inclined to appreciate the destroy the world vibe of Number of the Beast or the bright, new millennium tone of Brave New World or... My only real fallback album is Somewhere In Time; best sounding songs in the history of hard rock/heavy metal, let alone Iron Maiden.

That isn't to say I haven't already formed a strong opinion about Book of Souls. There's something about this album that was missing from Final Frontier and today I finally figured it out. This album is fun. From the moment I heard Speed of Light, I realized this was a whole new ballgame. Songs like Death or Glory, When the River Runs Deep and Tears of a Clown reinforce my belief. These guys had fun writing and playing these songs, and it shows. Unlike Final Frontier or (even though I love it) A Matter of Life and Death, Book of Souls isn't a chore to get through. The songs fly by and I just want to play them again. And again. I bored of Final Frontier pretty quickly, and about half the songs never really grabbed me. They weren't bad. They just aren't very fun to listen to. Book of Souls has energy even in the slower songs. So no, I can't rank it. But I do know it kicks Final Frontier's ass without even trying and is ready to brawl with A Matter of Life and Death. Brave New World better take notes from Death or Glory and watch its back.

Eternity 10/10
Great Unknown 10/10
Red and Black 10/10
Souls 10/10
Shadows 10/10
Empire 10/10t

Yes, we all have our tastes, but If I was able, I would give you what I was feeling. Cause it's the greatest fucking feeling ever!

Man, I would have liked to feel the same !! Maybe there are some growers and will get to the next level for me. TMWWBK and The Talisman did that on the last album

{peeks from behind the corner} I actually like Speed of Light. Like I said, it's a fun song with a cool guitar lick and a nice chorus. My least favorite songs are TRATB and The Man of Sorrows. Am I the only one who can't get into the weird vocals in TMOS? It sounds like there's a key change during the one verse and it throws me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back