"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things on Steve's writing:
I'll take these complaints about repetition more seriously when Caught Somewhere in Time starts losing survivors.
I'll start complaining about his soft/loud song structures when people start complaining about Bruce's and Adrian's.
There is a fuckton of new Maiden coming our way in a little over two months. I hope some of it breaks new ground and I hope some of it feels as warm and familiar as Nicko's old boots.
(Storms off to crank up to No More Lies)
All of the above. +1.

Hope the circus around this one becomes more positive than that for TFF... I wasn't a member here then, but the sites, magazines and blogs I visited and read quite harshly panned "El Dorado" upon its release (which then turned into praise as the full length album landed). Which basically means to say, I hope they choose a good single this time... A "Coming Home" rather than an "El Dorado".

Hope the circus around this one becomes more positive than that for TFF... I wasn't a member here then, but the sites, magazines and blogs I visited and read quite harshly panned "El Dorado" upon its release (which then turned into praise as the full length album landed). Which basically means to say, I hope they choose a good single this time... A "Coming Home" rather than an "El Dorado".

I still have no idea what drove the band to release "El Dorado" as a single. I definitely agree that "Coming Home" would've drawn in a better reception, as would "Mother of Mercy." I think the first single for this album is going to be "Speed of Light," but we'll have to wait and see.

The fast paced galloping rhythm? The simple but catchy riff? The three guitar trade off solo section? The explosive intro? Seems like a solid lead single to me.

Eh, maybe. I admittedly haven't heard the song in ages, but I still remember being really disappointed when I first heard it five years ago and I know I wasn't the only one who didn't like it at first.

It will be very interesting to see what the stage design will be next year. In the past, Maiden always had an album cover and title they could base the stage off of, but with this one, they have neither of those. Well, I guess Eddie himself so the only possibility I can think of is a stage that looks like an African tribe or something like that since Eddie has that look to him. What are your thoughts?

I LOL every time I see the dance of death cover. It was 2003 too. The animation looked like some crap from a poorly designed playstation game in the mid 90's.

It's so strange, especially considering how the concept for the cover is actually really brilliant. The execution is just mind-bogglingly bad.

It will be very interesting to see what the stage design will be next year. In the past, Maiden always had an album cover and title they could base the stage off of, but with this one, they have neither of those. Well, I guess Eddie himself so the only possibility I can think of is a stage that looks like an African tribe or something like that since Eddie has that look to him. What are your thoughts?

I think that theory someone had earlier about us not having seen the whole album cover yet is probably accurate. Even then, I think our glimpse at Eddie is enough to figure that the stage this tour will be tribal-themed in its design. Should be interesting to see live! Hope they come back to NC again!

Too early to speculate about possible stage designs, but I'm sure they'll have the art of at least one single to draw from too. Anyone think we'll get a video? The one accompanying "The Final Frontier" was quite nice, but probably not cheap.

About the DOD cover, I still think it's better than the Virtual XI cover... I prefer it over The Book of Souls too. It has... something. It's obviously unfinished, but those hideously drawn figures still form a complete picture that looks quite nice. Had the artist been able to finish it, no-one would have anything to complain about. Now it's kind of interesting just because it's unfinished.

It must be a mighty honour to be selected as the first single off a new Maiden album but the challenge comes with extremely high expectations and responsibilities. Your role is to excite, make a statement, introduce the new album. Yet you are alone and exposed. You are analysed, scrutinised, perhaps criticised. You are a solitary unknown newcomer to be judged by millions who have the whole of Maiden's history to compare you against.

You walk into a saloon, the music stops, all eyes are on you. You scan the room for other first singles. The Wickerman and Wasted Years are both at the bar laughing with Flight Of Icarus. They've made it. Yet other openers are not enjoying themselves so much...Can I Play With Madness and Wildest Dreams are ignored and sit by themselves in a corner. Holy Smoke wasn't even allowed in. The Reincarnation Of Benjamon Breeg came in for a few ales, didn't feel a connection with the faster galloping rockers so he left, went for a stroll and possessed a passerby. How will you be judged?

Damn I've been staring at that beautiful new Ed' all day....starting to freak me out. :)) now I'm hoping for some..NIGHTMAARES!!!. The end of a most satisfying day for sure!!! It has begun!!!

BTW Slayer's new album is coming 0ut on Sep 11th. They already released the title track as well as a couple of "work in progress" tracks.

Isn't it time we also got something more??

Hi all, first time posting. I heard the title track yesterday morning, to my ears it is a continuation of the final frontier sound. The production is very very live sounding. It was ok, it didn't grab me and pin me to the wall, but it was maiden and it was ok. Sorry for bad english.

What a first post ! Welcome to you. May I ask you, how the hell you've been able to hear the title track ? And if you have it in mind, could you elaborate on that song ? I mean, it's a ten minutes piece, so it deserves some kind of details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back