The Book of Souls: individual album judgement by yours truly

People who grew up with these songs (discovered them when they were released) might care (and notice) a bit more then newer fans. They usually had more time to spend per album without so much of today's other access. That said, people are different, there are also older fans who do not mind.

Do people really care all that much about Maiden’s little self-plagiarisms and their lifting from other bands? A lot of this forum still calls Hallowed their best song after all.
Don´t know about other forum members but I don´t care that much about the so-called self-plagiarisms. In fact I love the way they use little pieces of older songs mixed up in new ones. Usually this brings a big smile on my face when hearing them. This is not a Maiden thingy alone. Queensryche did it on their latest albums too and I´m sure there will be loads of other bands using this same procedure.

That surely is not an argument for me to approve of it. Unoriginality can bother me (whether ideas are taken from others or not). If interested, check these discussions (one featuring the honour to have a forum "discussion" with Tobias Sammett himself about his songtitles).

topic 1
topic 2

Last edited:
Don´t know about other forum members but I don´t care that much about the so-called self-plagiarisms. In fact I love the way they use little pieces of older songs mixed up in new ones. Usually this brings a big smile on my face when hearing them. This is not a Maiden thingy alone. Queensryche did it on their latest albums too and I´m sure there will be loads of other bands using this same procedure.
Yeah exactly. One of the coolest things for me is to find pieces bands reused from older material that you never notice until it clicks. Like everyone knows that “Empire Of The Clouds” lifts a piece from “The Legacy”, but what’s even more interesting is that the intro to “Rime” got repurposed into the main piano riff as well. To me that’s just really really cool.

My rankings and some comments.

1. If Eternity Should Fail. 8.5. Too much repetition brings it down for me. Cool concept and well-executed though.
2. Seed of Light. 7. Fun but nothing spectacular.
3. Great Unknown. 8.5. One of my favourite Maiden choruses.
4. Red and the Black. 8. This was the highlight of the BOS tour for me. Bruce's vocals drop it down. Instrumental section was stunning live.
5. When the River Runs Deep. 7 Solid but forgettable.
6 Book of Souls. 10. Proabably top 5 for me. What a beast of a song!

1. Death or Glory. 6. I love Adrians slide solo but the rest is so forgettable.
2. Shadows of the Valley. 10. Like the title track, it builds and takes you on a journey. That is what Maiden do best.
3. Tears of a Clown. 7. Some of the lyrics are quite poignant but I find it boring. Still there are some really solid moments.
4. Man of Sorrow. 7. Same views as TOAC. Not one of Dave's strongest.
5. Empire of the Clouds. 10.

It is not one of my favourite Maiden albums. I would probably put it at 12 on my list.

I guess I never posted my original average on this thread, maybe I haven't rated these songs yet? Anyway:

IESF - 10
Speed of Light - 9
Great Unknown - 6
Red and the Black - 7
When the River Runs Deep - 4
Book of Souls - 10
Death or Glory - 7
Shadows of the Valley - 2
Tears of a Clown - 7
Man of Sorrows - 8
Empire - 8

Average - 7.1

This appropriately lines up with how this album has shaken out for me since the release: a very enjoyable listen but with more average/weaker tracks than usual for a reunion album (generally I love most of the songs on the recent albums). The title track and If Eternity Should Fail are both top ten contenders, but after that it's much more of a mixed bag. In retrospect, I think Speed of Light really is the best short rocker on the album.

1. If Eternity Should Fail 9/10
2. Speed of Light 5/10
3. The Great Unknown 6/10
4. When the River Runs Deep 5/10
5. The Book of Souls 9/10
6. Death or Glory 5/10
7. Shadows of the Valley 7/10
8. Tears of a Clown 2/10
9. Man of Sorrows 2/10
10. Empire of the Clouds 4/10

1. If Eternity Should Fail 10
2. Speed of Light 8