The Beatles

I never really bought into their solo stuff but every now and then something surprises me, like this bonus track from Paul McCartney's 'New' album from 2013. The sound of it caught me off guard

I never really bought into their solo stuff but every now and then something surprises me, like this bonus track from Paul McCartney's 'New' album from 2013. The sound of it caught me off guard
You're like me for every now and then you find a song from their solo stuff that you really like. Then there is stuff like GH's Crackerjack Palace and of course McCartney's "silly love songs":)

43 All I've Got to Do / With the Beatles (1963)
Apparently, this one signals the first time in rock and roll or rock music in which the bass player plays chords as a vital part of the song. I really like the harmonic vocal work here. And fine melodies. Perhaps the song could have benefitted from a short instrumental section (solo!) but I still like it as it is.

44 Revolution / B-side Hey Jude / Revolution single (1968)
This is the fast, distorted version. I like how that fuzzy distorted sound was created: by injecting the guitar signal into the mixing console through two microphone preamplifiers, almost overheating the console. According to sound engineer Geoff Emerick this was severe abuse of the studio equipment.
Of course, this song feels like pure rock and roll, but the sound makes it different. It's as if the Beatles sound like a mix of Status Quo and ZZ Top long before these bands found their own typical sound.
45 There's a Place / Please Please Me (1963)
I'm not a huge lover of the harmonica but in this number it rings a very melancholic bell. Well done John Lennon. This is a wonderful little song with lyrics I like (the "And it's my mind and there's no time when I'm alone" bit). The "In my mind there's no sorrow" bridge I probably like the most because of the melody. It happens only once, but then again, it makes it the more special.
46 When I'm Sixty-Four / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
At first, this one felt as some sort of humpty dumpty children's song (melody and rhythm in verses). But when that chorus starts I'm struck by that truly beautiful, melancholic melody Paul is singing. I love that interplay with the backing vocals as well.
47 Something / Abbey Road (1969)
I love the production and Ringo's drum beat here. Such a simple, yet effective beat. You hear it very well but it does not sit in the way of anything else.
I had to get used to this song. It has grown on me and it managed to creep in my top 50. There is a very serene mood with memorable string orchestration. The lovely guitar solo and Ringo's untypical rhythm underneath bring nice variation. I get a bit impatient in the final 50 seconds. I am not very fond of having to hear that whole last verse again, except for Paul's superb basslines. I think he may be doing different things throughout the whole song.
48 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) / Rubber Soul (1965)
For a long while this song was not in my top 50. But it jumped in. The best part, by far, is the harmony.
The lyrics are very dry and give a good look into the mind (and drastic actions!) of the visitor.
49 Twist and Shout / Please Please Me (1963)
This song is pretty repetitive but I like the intensity of it. Of course John gives it all (had nothing left afterwards; first take and that was it) but I also dig Ringo's drumrolls here. With headphones I can focus more on his playing, and it's good fun. The repetitiveness of the song, also of that riff and the sort of stoic backing vocals make an interesting contrast with the looser role for John and Ringo.
50 I Wanna Be Your Man / With the Beatles (1963)
Yes, yes I know... dumb, simplistic lyrics, hardly any variation in the song. But man, this grooves! I read it has a "heavy Bo Diddly beat".
I like the constant drive of the rhythm guitars, the roughness of the solo and there's a cool Ringo drumroll around 1:50.
I also like this (unofficial) instrumental version:
51 & 52: the two songs that just didn't make my top 50:
51 I Saw Her Standing There / Please Please Me (1963)
I like how this no nonsense approach sounds. Clear sounding, upclose electric guitars, neat, cool riffs (especially the fast one by Harrison?), fine solo.

52 You Never Give Me Your Money / Abbey Road (1969)
Really fine melancholic beginning with contrasting lyrics having a different emotion (rather angry instead).
The next jumpy section is sort of light and fun, not that much my cup of tea musically... then "Oh that magic feeling" is a fine part.
I also like the rocking section when Paul continues singing. Then that lovely guitar bit starting @ 2:48.
This one has good ideas, and I can see why people might have this higher. My son surely has this higher in his list which he is busy with at this moment. For me it is just not as grabbing as 51 other songs, and naturally this says a lot about the quality of the Beatles catalogue.
The One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, all good children go to Heaven lyric was taken by Bad Religion who were (especially Brett Gurewitz) big Beatles fans, and used in the chorus of their song Anesthesia (from the album Against the Grain, 1990).
53 and beyond: 53 plus 54-83 in chronological order.
"I've Got a Feeling" was the last of this bunch I doubted about, so that one can be considered as my number 53:

01 Please Mr. Postman / With The Beatles (1963)
02 Sie Liebt Dich / single (March 1964)
03 I Call Your Name / Long Tall Sally EP (June 1964)
04 Slow Down / Long Tall Sally EP (June 1964)
05 A Hard Day's Night / A Hard Day's Night (1964)
06 I Should Have Known Better / A Hard Day's Night (1964)
07 Honey Don't / Beatles for Sale (1964)
08 Bad Boy / Beatles VI (June 1965)
09 Help / Help! (1965)
10 I Need You / Help! (1965)
11 Yesterday / Help! (1965)
12 Think for Yourself / Rubber Soul (1965)
13 Michelle / Rubber Soul (1965)
14 I'm Looking Through You / Rubber Soul (1965)
15 In My Life / Rubber Soul (1965)
16 Rain / single (June 1966)
17 Love You To / Revolver (1966)
18 Yellow Submarine / Revolver (1966)
19 For No One / Revolver (1966)
20 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
21 With a Little Help of My Friends / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
22 Lucy Ia The Sky With Diamonds / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
23 Fixing A Hole / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
24 I Am the Walrus / Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
25 Back in the U.S.S.R. / White Album (1968)
26 The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill / White Album (1968)
27 Don't Pass Me By / White Album (1968)
28 Old Brown Shoe / single (May 1969)
29 Two of Us / Let It Be (1970)
30 Get Back / Let It Be (1970)
31 I've Got a Feeling / Let It Be Naked version (no. 53)

All I’ve Got To Do is a cool song and one that feels fairly unique in the early catalog. The Latin flavored rhythm, the moody verses mixed with uplifting choruses. The lyrics flow really well with the tone of the song as well.

All I’ve Got To Do is a cool song and one that feels fairly unique in the early catalog. The Latin flavored rhythm, the moody verses mixed with uplifting choruses. The lyrics flow really well with the tone of the song as well.
Gotta admit, even though I am a long time Beatles' fan and have their first album, I don't think I ever listened to this song. Or if I did, it was probably once and I don't remember it. I bought it on vinyl in the '80s and focused on Don't Bother Me,It Won't Be Long and I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Good one.

This song is on the 2nd album. You bought some American album, Meet the Beatles, which combined stuff.

“Some American album” was most North Americans’ first exposure to The Beatles until the catalog was completely reissued in the late 80s. Not an insufficient period of time and was also seen as significant enough to reissue a few years ago. It’s an interesting historic piece along with the other Capital Beatles albums. Not something to turn your nose up at.

Alright, but I felt that someone into the Beatles should first and foremost associate the songs with the first and foremost albums, in my view. Of course there are other interesting and not unimportant editions (sorry for the "some", you are right in stressing its importance) but these are not the ones I'd adress in international context. Or else it gets confusing.

In this case, this song is from With the Beatles.

THE first Beatles album is Please Please Me. And this song is not on it. That was my main point.

Last edited:
I much prefer the UK releases and I’m glad that we don’t do that split stuff anymore, but there are people who consider Meet the Beatles the superior album. Ultimately comes down to whether you prefer the original artists’ intents, or if taking the best songs from Please Please Me and With the Beatles and including big hit singles as well make the American package better for you.

And there’s plenty of loyalty towards the American records too. Some years ago they released a box set of all the official records that differ from the UK releases.

Meet the Beatles omits There's a Place and Twist and Shout so I'd protest against seeing it as the best collection of the first two albums. :--)

Alright, but I felt that someone into the Beatles should first and foremost associate the songs with the first and foremost albums, in my view. Of course there are other interesting and not unimportant editions (sorry for the "some", you are right in stressing its importance) but these are not the ones I'd adress in international context. Or else it gets confusing.

In this case, this song is from With the Beatles.

THE first Beatles album is Please Please Me. And this song is not on it. That was my main point.
I generally agree with this, although I can empathize that it’s a tricky adjustment to make if you weren’t even aware of With the Beatles or Please Please Me for decades.

As far as the albums themselves, I think Meet the Beatles is decent. It’s mostly With the Beatles + a few of the singles. But yes, there’s a lot missing. I don’t think the debut album ever really got a fair shake in America, despite having some really good material.

Btw there are some interesting oddities throughout the capitol albums. A Hard Day’s Night contains a lot of the instrumental rearrangements from the film, Beatles VI contains the song Bad Boy which didn’t see a wide release until the Past Masters CD, and of course the “canon” Magical Mystery Tour is the NA version.

This song is on the 2nd album. You bought some American album, Meet the Beatles, which combined stuff.
True! I forgot Please Please Me which I bought off ebay back in 2015:) I'd forgotten about the differences what we here in the USA what people in the UK got both as far as track listings and album titles. For example, A Hard Days night. My vinyl version that I bought in the '80s is as follows:
Side One
A Hard Days Night(vocal), Tell Me Why, I'll Cry Instead, I Should've Known Better(instrumental), I'm Happy Just To Dance with You, And I love Her(instrumental).
Side Two
I Should've Known Better(vocal), If I Fell, And I Love her(vocal), Ringo's Theme(This Boy) (Instrumental), Can't Buy Me Love, A Hard Days Night(Instrumental).
The CD version and perhaps(?) the UK version:

A Hard Day's Night
I Should've Known Better
If I Fell
I'm Happy Just To Dance With you
And I Love Her
Tell Me Why
Can't Buy Me Love
Any Time At all
I'll Cry Instead
Things We Said Today
When I Get Home
You Can't Do That
I'll Be Back

I'll Be Back is on Beatles' 65 and You Can't do That is on The Beatles' "Second Album"( I have this also). Alright enough of this for I need a beer:)

Last edited:
Meet the Beatles omits There's a Place and Twist and Shout so I'd protest against seeing it as the best collection of the first two albums. :--)
I agree to be clear, Meet the Beatles feels more like a compilation than a proper record to me since I grew up with the UK albums. Just pointing out that its historical value is arguably as important as its two UK counterparts.

Two songs this time.

41 Long Tall Sally / Long Tall Sally EP (1964)
A nice little rock 'n' roller with Paul on vocals and a mad solo by George. Gotta love Ringo going all out here. Wild stuff.
Most notable is his cymbal playing, where he alternates between his left and right hand so that he can do snare drums in between.
For example, you can see him doing it here, while headbanging, starting @ 1:33

42 Yer Blues / White Album (1968)
That bass! So deep, up close and heavy. I really like the tempo changes. That pumping bass playing and all the guitars around it are really cool, especially in the faster part. John Lennon played this one live with Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell. Nice to watch that passionate John. It's sad that the Beatles didn't want to perform a bit more often in their heavier (and more experimental/psychedelic) period.

43 All I've Got to Do / With the Beatles (1963)
Apparently, this one signals the first time in rock and roll or rock music in which the bass player plays chords as a vital part of the song. I really like the harmonic vocal work here. And fine melodies. Perhaps the song could have benefitted from a short instrumental section (solo!) but I still like it as it is.
44 Revolution / B-side Hey Jude / Revolution single (1968)
This is the fast, distorted version. I like how that fuzzy distorted sound was created: by injecting the guitar signal into the mixing console through two microphone preamplifiers, almost overheating the console. According to sound engineer Geoff Emerick this was severe abuse of the studio equipment.
Of course, this song feels like pure rock and roll, but the sound makes it different. It's as if the Beatles sound like a mix of Status Quo and ZZ Top long before these bands found their own typical sound.
45 There's a Place / Please Please Me (1963)
I'm not a huge lover of the harmonica but in this number it rings a very melancholic bell. Well done John Lennon. This is a wonderful little song with lyrics I like (the "And it's my mind and there's no time when I'm alone" bit). The "In my mind there's no sorrow" bridge I probably like the most because of the melody. It happens only once, but then again, it makes it the more special.
46 When I'm Sixty-Four / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
At first, this one felt as some sort of humpty dumpty children's song (melody and rhythm in verses). But when that chorus starts I'm struck by that truly beautiful, melancholic melody Paul is singing. I love that interplay with the backing vocals as well.
47 Something / Abbey Road (1969)
I love the production and Ringo's drum beat here. Such a simple, yet effective beat. You hear it very well but it does not sit in the way of anything else.
I had to get used to this song. It has grown on me and it managed to creep in my top 50. There is a very serene mood with memorable string orchestration. The lovely guitar solo and Ringo's untypical rhythm underneath bring nice variation. I get a bit impatient in the final 50 seconds. I am not very fond of having to hear that whole last verse again, except for Paul's superb basslines. I think he may be doing different things throughout the whole song.
48 Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) / Rubber Soul (1965)
For a long while this song was not in my top 50. But it jumped in. The best part, by far, is the harmony.
The lyrics are very dry and give a good look into the mind (and drastic actions!) of the visitor.
49 Twist and Shout / Please Please Me (1963)
This song is pretty repetitive but I like the intensity of it. Of course John gives it all (had nothing left afterwards; first take and that was it) but I also dig Ringo's drumrolls here. With headphones I can focus more on his playing, and it's good fun. The repetitiveness of the song, also of that riff and the sort of stoic backing vocals make an interesting contrast with the looser role for John and Ringo.
50 I Wanna Be Your Man / With the Beatles (1963)
Yes, yes I know... dumb, simplistic lyrics, hardly any variation in the song. But man, this grooves! I read it has a "heavy Bo Diddly beat".
I like the constant drive of the rhythm guitars, the roughness of the solo and there's a cool Ringo drumroll around 1:50.
I also like this (unofficial) instrumental version:
51 & 52: the two songs that just didn't make my top 50:
51 I Saw Her Standing There / Please Please Me (1963)
I like how this no nonsense approach sounds. Clear sounding, upclose electric guitars, neat, cool riffs (especially the fast one by Harrison?), fine solo.

52 You Never Give Me Your Money / Abbey Road (1969)
Really fine melancholic beginning with contrasting lyrics having a different emotion (rather angry instead).
The next jumpy section is sort of light and fun, not that much my cup of tea musically... then "Oh that magic feeling" is a fine part.
I also like the rocking section when Paul continues singing. Then that lovely guitar bit starting @ 2:48.
This one has good ideas, and I can see why people might have this higher. My son surely has this higher in his list which he is busy with at this moment. For me it is just not as grabbing as 51 other songs, and naturally this says a lot about the quality of the Beatles catalogue.
The One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, all good children go to Heaven lyric was taken by Bad Religion who were (especially Brett Gurewitz) big Beatles fans, and used in the chorus of their song Anesthesia (from the album Against the Grain, 1990).
53 and beyond: 53 plus 54-83 in chronological order.
"I've Got a Feeling" was the last of this bunch I doubted about, so that one can be considered as my number 53:

01 Please Mr. Postman / With The Beatles (1963)
02 Sie Liebt Dich / single (March 1964)
03 I Call Your Name / Long Tall Sally EP (June 1964)
04 Slow Down / Long Tall Sally EP (June 1964)
05 A Hard Day's Night / A Hard Day's Night (1964)
06 I Should Have Known Better / A Hard Day's Night (1964)
07 Honey Don't / Beatles for Sale (1964)
08 Bad Boy / Beatles VI (June 1965)
09 Help / Help! (1965)
10 I Need You / Help! (1965)
11 Yesterday / Help! (1965)
12 Think for Yourself / Rubber Soul (1965)
13 Michelle / Rubber Soul (1965)
14 I'm Looking Through You / Rubber Soul (1965)
15 In My Life / Rubber Soul (1965)
16 Rain / single (June 1966)
17 Love You To / Revolver (1966)
18 Yellow Submarine / Revolver (1966)
19 For No One / Revolver (1966)
20 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
21 With a Little Help of My Friends / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
22 Lucy Ia The Sky With Diamonds / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
23 Fixing A Hole / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
24 I Am the Walrus / Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
25 Back in the U.S.S.R. / White Album (1968)
26 The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill / White Album (1968)
27 Don't Pass Me By / White Album (1968)
28 Old Brown Shoe / single (May 1969)
29 Two of Us / Let It Be (1970)
30 Get Back / Let It Be (1970)
31 I've Got a Feeling / Let It Be Naked version (no. 53)

Last edited:
Table below shows the Beatles songs' distribution per songwriter to be used for future reference:

John Lennon wrote the most deep songs musically and lyrically such breakthrough masterpieces as
Tomorrow Never Knows, my absolute best Beatles song, an early and highly influential recording in the psychedelic and electronic music genres, particularly for its pioneering use of sampling, tape manipulation and other production techniques.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, a psychedelic classic, with initialism "LSD" began circulating shortly after the release of the Sgt. Pepper's, plus a common reference for Lucifer.
Strawberry Fields Forever, on Lennon's words, his finest work with the Beatles, a song describing his chilhood (paired with McCarthy's Penny Lane, to describe his). First song ever to feature a "beat" progenitor of electronic music. Also with a pioneering music video. Walter Everett identifies the song's ending as an example of the Beatles' continued pioneering of the "fade-out–fade-in coda", further to their use of this device on the 1966 B-side "Rain".
I'm the Walrus, modelled after Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale", it features some shocking lyrics even for today's standards.
Ticket to Ride, breakthrough drumming, some consider it the first heavy metal song ever written.
Norwegian Wood, often identified as the first example of raga rock, intruduced sitar in Western Music. Also great lyric line.
I'm Only Sleeping, features the then-unique sound of a reversed guitar duet played by Harrison in a five-hour late-night recording session with producer George Martin. Harrison perfected the part with the tape running backwards so that, when reversed, it would fit the dreamlike mood.

McCarthy's lyrics were more swallow however he was the master of melodies (melodic masterpieces such as You Never Give me Your Money, For No One, I've just seen a Face) and wrote the most successful songs such as Hey Jude, Yesterday, Get Back, Let it Be.

He also had his breakthrough moments with the super heavy rocker Helter Skelter, the heaviest song by then & Penny Lane, anout his childhood as mentioned above, with Musicologist Dominic Pedler describing it as a profound and surprising innovation involving abandoning mid-cycle what initially appears to be a standard I–vi–ii–V doo-wop pop chord cycle.

St. Pepper's concept was mainly his, as well as the concept of the B Side of Abbey Road, dubbed the best single side of a record ever.

Harrison came late in the game of songwriting but he brough such songs in the table as While My Guitar Gently Weeps, with an A Class sole by Eric Clapton, the renaissance-like Piggies, the sitar, table & tambura immersing Within You Without You and of course the highly acclaimed Something & Here Comes The Sun.

Ringo Starr sang several songs but wrote only 2 and I like particularly Don't Pass Me By, his first one.

Please Please Me 1963
SongMain composerSinger
Love Me DoMcCartneyLennon/McCartney
P.S. I Love YouMcCartneyMcCartney
Please Please MeLennonLennon/McCartney
Ask Me WhyLennonLennon
There´s a PlaceLennonLennon
I Saw Her Standing ThereMcCartneyMcCartney
Do You Want to Know a SecretLennonHarrison
MiseryLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
A Taste of HoneyScott/MarlowMcCartney
Anna (Go to Him)AlexanderLennon
BoysDixon/FarrellStarr
ChainsGoffin/KingHarrison
Baby It´s YouDavid/Williams/BacharachLennon
Twist and ShoutMedley/RusselLennon
TotalLennon: 4
McCartney: 3
L/M: 1
Lennon: 5
Harrison: 2
Starr: 1
L/M: 3
With The Beatles 1963
SongMain composerSinger
Hold Me TightMcCartneyMcCartney
It Won´t Be LongLennonLennon
All My LovingMcCartneyMcCartney
I Wanna Be Your ManLennon/McCartneyStarr
Little ChildLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
All I´ve Got to DoLennonLennon
Not a Second TimeLennonLennon
Don´t Bother MeHarrisonHarrison
Roll Over BeethovenBerryHarrison
You Really Got a Hold on MeRobinsonLennon/Harrison
Money (That´s What I Want)Bradford/GordyLennon
Devil in Her HeartDrapkinHarrison
Till There Was YouWilsonMcCartney
Please Mr PostmanHolland/Bateman/Garrett/
Dobbins/Gorman
Lennon
TotalLennon: 3
McCartney: 2
Harrison: 1
L/M: 2
Harrison: 3
L/H: 1
Long Tall Sally 1964
SongMain composerSinger
Long Tall SallyJohnson/Penniman/
Blackwell
McCartney
I Call Your NameLennonLennon
MatchboxPerkinsStarr
Slow DownWilliamsLennon
TotalLennon: 1Lennon: 2
McCartney: 1
A Hard Day's Night 1964
SongMain composerSinger
Can´t Buy Me LoveMcCartneyMcCartney
You Can´t Do ThatLennonLennon
And I Love HerMcCartneyMcCartney
I Should Have Known BetterLennonLennon
Tell Me WhyLennonLennon
If I fellLennonLennon/McCartney
I´m Happy Just to Dance With YouLennonHarrison
A Hard Day´s NightLennonLennon/McCartney
I´ll Cry InsteadLennonLennon
I´ll Be BackLennonLennon
Any Time at AllLennonLennon
Things We Said TodayMcCartneyMcCartney
When I Get HomeLennonLennon
TotalLennon: 10
Lennon: 7
L/M: 2
Beatles For Sale 1964
SongMain composerSinger
Baby´s in BlackLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
I´m a LoserLennonLennon
Every Little ThingMcCartneyLennon
I Don´t Want to Spoil the PartyLennonLennon/Harrison
What You´re DoingMcCartneyMcCartney
No ReplyLennonLennon
Eight Days a WeekMcCartneyLennon/McCartney
I´ll Follow the SunMcCartneyMcCartney
Mr MoonlightJohnsonLennon
Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, HeyLeiber/Stoller/PennimanMcCartney
Everybody´s Trying to Be My BabyPerkinsHarrison
Rock and Roll MusicBerryLennon
Words of LoveHollyLennon/McCartney
Honey Don´tPerkinsStarr
L/M: 3
L/H: 1
Help! 1965
SongMain composerSinger
Ticket to RideLennonLennon
Another GirlMcCartneyMcCartney
I Need YouHarrisonHarrison
The Night BeforeMcCartneyMcCartney
You Like Me Too MuchHarrisonHarrison
You´ve Got to Hide Your Love AwayLennonLennon
Tell Me What You SeeMcCartneyMcCartney
You´re Going to Lose That GirlLennonLennon
Help!LennonLennon
I´ve Just Seen a FaceMcCartneyMcCartney
YesterdayMcCartneyMcCartney
It´s Only LoveLennonLennon
Dizzy Miss LizzyWilliamsLennon
Act NaturallyMorrison/RusselStarr
TotalLennon: 5
McCartney: 5
Lennon: 6
Rubber Soul 1965
SongMain composerSinger
WaitLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
Run for Your LifeLennonLennon
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)LennonLennon
Drive My CarMcCartneyLennon/McCartney
If I Need SomeoneHarrisonHarrison
In My LifeLennon/McCartneyLennon
Nowhere ManLennonLennon
I´m Looking Through YouMcCartneyMcCartney
MichelleMcCartneyMcCartney
What Goes OnLennon/McCartneyStarr
Think for YourselfHarrisonHarrison
The WordLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
You Won´t See MeMcCartneyMcCartney
GirlLennonLennon
McCartney: 4
L/M: 4
L/M:3
Revolver 1966
SongMain composerSinger
Tomorrow Never KnowsLennonLennon
Got to Get You Into My LifeMcCartneyMcCartney
Love You toHarrisonHarrison
Doctor RobertLennonLennon
And Your Bird Can SingLennonLennon
TaxmanHarrisonHarrison
I´m Only SleepingLennonLennon
Eleanor RigbyMcCartneyMcCartney
For No OneMcCartneyMcCartney
Yellow SubmarineMcCartneyStarr
I Want to Tell YouHarrisonHarrison
Good Day SunshineMcCartneyMcCartney
Here, There and EverywhereMcCartneyMcCartney
She Said She SaidLennonLennon
TotalLennon: 5
McCartney: 6
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967
SongMain composerSinger
When I´m 64McCartneyMcCartney
A Day in the LifeLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
Sgt. Pepper´s Lonely Hearts Club BandMcCartneyMcCartney
Good Morning Good MorningLennonLennon
Fixing a HoleMcCartneyMcCartney
Being For the Benefit of Mr. KiteLennonLennon
Lovely RitaMcCartneyMcCartney
Lucy in the Sky with DiamondsLennonLennon
Getting BetterMcCartneyMcCartney
Within You Without YouHarrisonHarrison
She´s Leaving HomeMcCartneyMcCartney
With a Little Help From My FriendsMcCartneyStarr
Sgt. Pepper´s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)McCartneyLennon/McCartney/
Harrison/Starr
McCartney: 8
Lennon: 3
McCartney: 6
L/M/H/S: 1
Magical Mystery Tour 1967
Song
Main composer
Singer
Magical Mystery TourMcCartneyMcCartney
Your Mother Should KnowMcCartneyMcCartney
Blue Jay WayHarrisonHarrison
FlyingHarrison/Lennon/
McCartney/Starkey
Harrison/Lennon/
McCartney/Starr
The Fool on the HillMcCartneyMcCartney
I Am the WalrusLennonLennon
TotalLennon: 1
H/L/M/S: 1
Lennon: 1
H/L/M/S: 1
The Beatles 1968
SongMain composerSinger
Revolution 1LennonLennon
Don´t Pass Me ByStarkeyStarr
Revolution 9Lennon"Instrumental"
BlackbirdMcCartneyMcCartney
Everybody´s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My MonkeyLennonLennon
Good NightLennonStarr
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-daMcCartneyMcCartney
Cry Baby CryLennonLennon
Helter SkelterMcCartneyMcCartney
Sexy SadieLennonLennon
While My Guitar Gently WeepsHarrisonHarrison
Mother Nature´s SonMcCartneyMcCartney
Yer BluesLennonLennon
Rocky RaccoonMcCartneyMcCartney
Wild Honey PieMcCartneyMcCartney
Back in the USSRMcCartneyMcCartney
Dear PrudenceLennonLennon
Glass OnionLennonLennon
I WillMcCartneyMcCartney
BirthdayMcCartneyLennon/McCartney
PiggiesHarrisonHarrison
Happiness is a Warm GunLennonLennon
Honey PieMcCartneyMcCartney
Savoy TruffleHarrisonHarrison
Martha My DearMcCartneyMcCartney
Long Long LongHarrisonHarrison
I´m So TiredLennonLennon
The Continuing Story of Bungalow BillLennonLennon
Why Don´t We Do It in the Road?McCartneyMcCartney
JuliaLennonLennon
TotalLennon: 13
McCartney:12
Harrison: 4
Starkey: 1
Lennon: 11
McCartney: 11
Harrison: 4
Starr: 2
Yellow Submarine 1969
SongMain composerSinger
Yellow SubmarineMcCartneyStarr
Only a Nothern SongHarrisonHarrison
All Together NowMcCartneyMcCartney
It´s All Too MuchHarrisonHarrison
All You Need is LoveLennonLennon
Hey BulldogLennon/McCartneyLennon
TotalLennon: 1
McCartney: 2
Lennon: 2
McCartney: 1
Abbey Road 1969
SongMain composerSinger
I Want You (She´s So Heavy)LennonLennon
SomethingHarrisonHarrison
Oh! DarlingMcCartneyMcCartney
Octopus´s GardenStarkeyStarr
You Never Give Me Your MoneyMcCartneyMcCartney
Her MajestyMcCartneyMcCartney
Golden SlumbersMcCartneyMcCartney
Carry That WeightMcCartneyMcCartney
Here Comes the SunHarrisonHarrison
Maxwell´s Silver HammerMcCartneyMcCartney
Come TogetherLennonLennon
The EndMcCartneyMcCartney
Sun KingLennonLennon
Mean Mr MustardLennonLennon
Polythene PamLennonLennon
She Came in Through the Bathroom WindowMcCartneyMcCartney
BecauseLennonLennon/McCartney/Harrison
TotalLennon: 6
Starkey: 1
L/M/H: 1
Let It Be 1970
SongMain composerSinger
Across the UniverseLennonLennon
Dig a PonnyLennonLennon
I´ve Got a FeelingLennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
Get BackMcCartneyMcCartney
Two of UsMcCartneyLennon/McCartney
Maggie MaeTrad. arr.Lennon/McCartney
Dig ItLennonLennon
For You BlueHarrisonHarrison
Let It BeMcCartneyMcCartney
The Long and Winding RoadMcCartneyMcCartney
One After 909LennonLennon/McCartney
I Me MineHarrisonHarrison
McCartney: 4
Lennon: 3
L/M: 4
Songs not released on LP
SongMain composerSinger
From Me to You, 1963Lennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
Thank You Girl, 1963Lennon/McCartneyLennon
She Loves You, 1963Lennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
I´ll Get You, 1963Lennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
I Want to Hold Your Hand, 1963Lennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
This Boy, 1963LennonLennon/McCartney/Harrison
She´s a Woman, 1964McCartneyMcCartney
I Feel Fine, 1964LennonLennon
Yes it is, 1965LennonLennon
I´m Down, 1965McCartneyMcCartney
Day Tripper, 1965LennonLennon/McCartney
We Can Work It Out, 1965Lennon/McCartneyMcCartney
Paperback Writer, 1966McCartneyMcCartney
Rain, 1966LennonLennon
Strawberry Fields Forever, 1967LennonLennon
Penny Lane, 1967McCartneyMcCartney
Baby, You´re a Rich Man, 1967Lennon/McCartneyLennon/McCartney
Hello, Goodbye, 1967McCartneyMcCartney
The Inner Light, 1968HarrisonHarrison
Lady Madonna, 1968McCartneyMcCartney
Hey Jude, 1968McCartneyMcCartney
Don´t Let Me Down, 1969LennonLennon
The Ballad of John and Yoko, 1969LennonLennon
Old Brown Shoe, 1969HarrisonHarrison
You Know My Name (Look up the Number), 1970LennonLennon/McCartney/Starr
TotalLennon: 9
McCartney: 7
L/M: 7
Lennon: 7
L/M: 6
L/M/H: 1
L/M/S: 1
Main composerSinger
All songs, totalLennon: 72
McCartney: 70
Harrison: 22
Starkey: 2
L/M: 18
Lennon: 72
McCartney: 66
Harrison: 28
Starr: 11
L/M: 24

One song recorded by The Beatles isn't in this list. It is Bad Boy, written by Williams, from the LP A Collection of Beatles Oldies. It was sung by Lennon and is included in the total satistics above. Yellow Submarine is only counted once, even if it appears on two albums. Free as a Bird from 1995 and Real Love from 1996 are both Lennon compositions. They are not included in the statistics. The order of the songs in the list is the same as they were recorded in.

Last edited:
I could have sworn that Lennon wrote "Yellow Submarine" and then McCartney added to it changing the song completely. I also thought Lennon wrote "With A Little Help From My Friends" for Ringo to sing.

Yeap, same for me.
Except those two, I would think All You Need is Love, Because, She Said She Said, Come Together are McCartney's while Helter Skelter & The Fool on the Hill are Lennon's.
Also thought Norwegian Wood was Harrison's (it's Lennon's). And I always believed Ringo wrote just only one song (Octopus' Garden) while he wrote Don't Pass Me By as well.

On this day 60 years ago, Please please me was released for the first time in UK!

Probably not a favorite among fellow Maiden fans, but I know many people still like it (myself as well). Do you have a favorite track or two? Mine are Anna (Go with him) (very fine songwriting on this one), Twist and shout (raw rock’n roll!) and Taste of honey (Paul shows off his vocal feeling early on)

Back