The Beatles

Exactly. Which is one of the great things about The Beatles I think, their most popular songs are still really good on their own and never get old.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who isn't crazy about Let It Be. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that it was a fan favorite. The first side is really good but the rest is just OK I think. Except Get Back, which is awesome.
Let it Be, the album is meh.
Let it Be, the song is fantastic.

Worth checking out Let It Be - Naked, which apparently sounds the way Paul wanted it to sound, before John Lennon and Phil Spector conspired to add the "wall of sound" overproduction and (in many cases) make it sound like crap. "The Long and Winding Road," for example, sounds much, much better without the orchestral backing.* Ditto "Across the Universe." I think the title track sounds better without the horns and additional guitar overdubs, but some may be so used to the "original" that the "naked" version sounds funny. The tracklisting is rearranged in a more satisfying order, too, with the title track as the natural and obvious album closer.

* EDIT: Went back and listened to the two versions back to back. The difference is really remarkable. The "naked" remix is a gorgeous, simple, intimate ballad, one of Paul's best. The Phil Spector version is sappy and horrible -- it's basically elevator music. Absolutely egregious what he and John did to what would otherwise be a legit Macca masterpiece. They fucking ruined it.
Here is the good, remixed version:

I want to check that out but I haven't had the chance. I don't have a problem with the sound on most of the album, I just don't think the songs are as strong.

I just don't think the songs are as strong.

No argument here, even the remixed version is not one of my favorite Beatles albums. But, check out my edit above - I think I embedded the video after you'd posted. "Winding Road" was not a strong track until the remix, now it is.

The "naked" version is worth a listen, though I wouldn't really say it's really better than the original. I actually miss the little spoken word inserts a lot - they added to the rough, work<-in-progress atmosphere of the album, which masked the fact that much of the material was rather weak by Beatles standards. Having said that, I think "I've Got a Feeling" is amazing (possibly the best song on the whole record), and I've always been very fond of "Two of Us".

True or false: the Beatles invented metal (e.g., Helter Skelter, Revolution). Discuss. Some have credited the Beatles as doing this; after all, they invented or at least innovated pretty much everything else we now hear in rock and pop music. To me, it's not an easy answer. Those songs don't sound like metal as we now know it, but Helter Skelter gets pretty close. I think of it more as a punk song, but you can see why metal bands would be influenced by it. Revolution is, to me, pure punk rock.

False.
There's a similar theory about Ticket to Ride, due to its heavy rhythm session.
Invention of metal for me, is a combination of Hendrix's guitar, Iommy's riffs with a garniture from Blackmore..

The song In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was released half a year prior White Album, and it had a proven impact on Beatles'music as one can witness by listening to The End from Abbey Road..

So if there's a single song to create Metal this would be In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.. But I don't accept any birth of any genre from a single reference point, so..

Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin in the 70s of course...

But I would say the roots of metal started in the fifties when some artists started using distortion and then grew from there...

Songs like this, in my opinion, are prototype Metal songs:

And Blue Cheer, arguably the first ever metal band?

Sabbath, Purple, Zeppelin in the 70s of course...

But I would say the roots of metal started in the fifties when some artists started using distortion and then grew from there...
Songs like this, in my opinion, are prototype Metal songs:
Excellent choices, songs further metalicized by the Who (Live At Leeds) and, of course, Van Halen
You have to throw Purple Haze into that mix as well, although Black Sabbath was the first authentic metal album.

Also we can't forget to mention the first time the phrase "Heavy Metal" was used in a song..

I like smoke and lightning
Heavy metal thunder
Racin' with the wind
And the feelin' that I'm under

I presume that room is Page's own music library. The clip is from the movie, It Might Get Loud, which is a documentary in which he, Jack White and The Edge describe their careers, influences and playing styles, and then get together to talk guitar stuff and jam -- recommended as a decent way to kill 90 minutes. Also, it may not have been clear from the video, but the song is called "The Rumble" by Link Wray (1958).

Very nice private music library he has I must say hah. Oh yeahh I've heard of that documentary but never got around to it, I'll add it to my "to-see" list :)

That is pretty awesome! Though, with seeing The Beatles Anthology many times over, I don't know if those little docs would be anything new to me to be honest. :lol: Not sure if you have ever seen it but it's really great. It's a very indepth look at their history from beginning to end.

You need to get the three Anthology double CDs if you haven't already!

They're great for studio outtakes, alternative versions, cover songs and general studio chit chatter! Really a treasure of stuff :)

Back