The Beatles

I recently read You Never Give Me Your Money: The Beatles after the Break-up by Peter Doggett.
Interesting book that starts with the troubles during the recording of Let It Be and Abbey Road — which were recorded in the opposite order they were released — and carries right up until George's death.
Real focus on the business of the Beatles —the divisions between the boys and the legal battles that consumed three decades.

Favourite Beatles, anyone?
For me, it's the medley on side two of Abbey Road — such fantastic melodies, perfectly spliced together.

My favorite Beatles album is Abbey Road, can't really pick any particular favorite songs from it since I've always listened to it fully, not thinking about what song I'm on.

Rubber Soul happens to be my favorite. I grew up on that one so that's the main reason it's my favorite. Plus, all the songs on it are so great.

Also Abbey Road here. All of it is excellent and shows the band at their best. Side B is so amazingly put together, great swan song for the band.

I'm more of a Revolver/Rubber Soul fan. They had just started to really spread their wings creatively before they went completely off the rails with George Martin's overproduction on Sgt. Pepper and the later albums. Among my favorite Beatles songs are "In My Life," "Eleanor Rigby," "She Said She Said," "It's All Too Much," "Help!" and "A Day in the Life." I'm not really in love with anything on Abbey Road, but my eight-year-old son thinks it's great -- which seems about right.

Revolver was my favorite at one time, but it has a few weaker moments that has left it a close second now. I've said before on here that Tomorrow Never Knows is tied with I Am The Walrus for my favorite Beatles song. I also really like the singles from the Rubber Soul/Revolver era, Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out and Paperback Writer/Rain. Really great songs.

I agree about the over production on Sgt Pepper, though I don't think it was such a problem afterwards. I really like the production on The White Album and Abbey Road.

I heard about this last night but didn't get a chance to post anything. Definitely very sad. He was such an influence on The Beatles and George Harrison, especially. So much so they were very good friends. I've always associated Ravi with The Beatles and Harrison.

Lately, I keep coming back to Abbey Road as my favourite album. It's not their strongest effort on a song-by-song basis, but it manages to go convey an incredible amount of different feelings in very little time. On the other hand, some of that might be tied up in its place in the band's history - an album like Revolver would probably make a stronger impression on its own. (For example, "Carry That Weight" gets a lot of its power from being a comment of sorts on the collected works of the band. I don't think it would work on a debut album.)

I think what makes The Beatles so special to me is that they nearly always make you feel something, often far more deeply than you they really ought to, given that we're mostly talking about short, catchy pop songs. I can't think of any other band as expressive as they were.

I'm a huge Beatles fan, but I don't have too much time for a serious posting right now..

In breef,
Revolver > Abbey Road > White Album > Help > Sgt Pepper > Rubber Soul > Please Please me > A Hard day's Night > Let it Be > With the Beatles > Beatles for Sale

Nice to see that I'm not the only one who isn't crazy about Let It Be. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought that it was a fan favorite. The first side is really good but the rest is just OK I think. Except Get Back, which is awesome.

I like Let it Be (album) but I'm not crazy about it either. I always thought the most favored Beatles album was Sgt. Peppers.

Yea it probably is. I think I'm a bit burnt out on that one. There's some stuff I still really like but I hardly ever feel the urge to listen to the whole thing.

I feel the same way. There are songs on it that I like to listen to a lot like She's Leaving Home, Fixing a Hole, Getting Better because they're not the overly played ones, like the title track + With a Little Help From My Friends. They've really wore out their welcome for me. I'd have to say that She's Leaving Home is my favorite on that album.

She's Leaving Home is great. I feel exactly the same about the opening songs. I still really like Lucy In The Sky though, even if it is just as overplayed.

Yea same here. I also can't get tired of A Day In The Life.

Back