The Band's Favourite Maiden Songs

EDDIEVH

Prowler
Does anyone know what the members of the band's favourite Maiden songs are? I know Bruce has mentioned Mariner being right up there for him, given it's always played live is it fair to say FOTD might be Steve's? Think Nicko mentioned Hallowed once, any ideas about the rest?

H has said in many interviews that Fear of the Dark is his favourite song to play live.

I remember reading in an article, where they interviewed Bruce (think it was during the 2012 US tour?), and he said that "Moonchild", "Rime of the Ancient Mariner", and "Run to the Hills" are among his personal favorite Maiden songs.

Last edited:
Nicko and Steve both have stated Alexander the Great as one and have stated it their biggest regret of not playing it live. They stated this in 2010

Are we specifically looking for this 2010 "regret" comment, or just any comment by the band on AtG?

There are earlier interviews where Nicko has stated he'd like to play AtG:
Personally I would love to play Alexander the Great live. That’s one of the few epic songs we never played live. Now that we have 3 guitar players, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t play it live. So my vote goes to that song.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/maiden-downunder/107547-nicko-interview-translated-dutch-mag.html (2003)
And the classic Steve comment:
Hello! I was just wondering why you guys have never played Alexander The Great live. It's one of the best song written. And the solos are also amonst the best ever. Cheerz!
Markus K
Sweden

Adrian can't remember the solo

http://maidenfans.com/index.php?ACT=module&name=rwarticles&show=81 (2000)

They've been asked about it a lot, have they not?

Yeah, they have, I've just never read an interview (especially as recently as 2010, like the one @SirRobbins mentioned) where Steve says he regrets playing it live. Last I hear, he saw The Iron Maidens perform it and said it didn't inspire him to play it live.

Yeah, they have, I've just never read an interview (especially as recently as 2010, like the one @SirRobbins mentioned) where Steve says he regrets playing it live. Last I hear, he saw The Iron Maidens perform it and said it didn't inspire him to play it live.
And just for the record, that quote:
...but at the same time play lots of material Maiden either doesn’t play anymore or in some cases, never has. Have you had any feedback from Maiden band or management in terms of your setlist or some of the more obscure cuts you tackle?

Linda: We heard that Steve Harris was impressed that we played “Alexander The Great” at our show he was at in Mexico City, but it still wasn’t enough to make him want to do it with Maiden! (laughs)

http://www.legendaryrockinterviews....t-their-inspirations-new-recordings-and-more/ (2013)

Yip, I haven't found any direct quote of Steve talking about it either; yet...

There's also this, which unfortunately has no video documentation anywhere else on the web. But it's a funny story! http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18555
Ahh yes, that was/is a funny ancedote! :lol:
The question and answer session was fun, it was cool to have him answer my question. I asked him, “Are there any songs in particular, that either haven’t been played live before or haven’t been played in a long time, that you would like to do—“. I was going to say “on a future tour” but he had already given a quick and matter of fact response of “Alexander The Great”. I was pretty shocked and the crowd all started cheering. He then got really excited about the song and about how great he thought it would go over live. He started mouthing all the drum parts and singing the riffs and having fun. He then looked me in the eyes and explained that they had rehearsed it, although he didn’t say when, but that Adrian couldn’t get the weird solo part down right (from 4:02 to 4:38 in the song I think). He sung the part and asked if I knew which part he meant and I'm pretty sure he meant that. He said that Steve originally told Adrian to play it like that back in the day and that Adrian couldn’t get the timing of it right during rehearsals.

He said that Janick had offered to play that part for him and Nicko got a funny look on his face and the crowd had a good laugh about it. Nick said that Dave just sat back and didn’t say anything when Jan offered to take the part. In the end he said it would be a really cool song to do and he’d like to do in sometime and the crowd definitely agreed. I was really glad that my question had got such a warm response from both him and the crowd.
[2011]
And still Adrian's fault! :p

I'd be more than OK with Janick butchering Alex's solo if it meant I'd get to hear the song live :p
And that's exactly what someone else in that forum replied. I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but I genuinely think, of any guitar part that Janick might be asked to do that was originally done by Adrian, that small interlude (that is clearly being discussed) is quite suited to his loose, quite acoustic, style of playing. I don't think he'd "butcher" it at all; I think he would play it fine. Plus, that would then give all three of them a "solo" part (if you consider this a solo) to play live; which fits quite nicely with their current setup. They should just have let Janick do it & bloody played it.

Back