The Alchemist

How good is The Alchemist on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
After my first listen of the album, I thought this was the obvious weak link, but I think it's in the top half of songs now. My second time listening to a Maiden album, I always read the lyrics in the sleeve as Bruce sings them, and it is almost a completely different experience. Thanks Janick, Steve and Bruce, this one is a great tune.

Instantly my least favorite, now my top 5 probably.  I really can't order them anyways, too much greatness here.  They better not wait 4 years again... They are on a creative high right now.  Make another one in 2012!

The song is very fun and addictive.  I love all the janick shorties though.  Sometimes I want epic, but I need some fun rockers too. Never understood the hatred for montsegur... One of my favorites from DOD.  Anyways, Bruce sounds fantastic, and nicko is doing a hell of a job on this one.  Love it!!

LeakPlease said:
Instantly my least favorite, now my top 5 probably.  I really can't order them anyways, too much greatness here.  They better not wait 4 years again... They are on a creative high right now.  Make another one in 2012!

The song is very fun and addictive.  I love all the janick shorties though.  Sometimes I want epic, but I need some fun rockers too. Never understood the hatred for montsegur... One of my favorites from DOD.  Anyways, Bruce sounds fantastic, and nicko is doing a hell of a job on this one.  Love it!!

It’s a real grower. I disliked it in the beginning, but now I love it. Janick has done some really splendid songwriting on this album.

I think he definitely contributed a lot to the album, but the acoustic intro on the talisman sounds way too much like the legacy.  I mean come on, at least use different notes.  He doesn't write that many songs, so he has no excuse for the repetitiveness.  Oh well.  Love the main part of the song either way!

Oh and... The alchemist rocks!  :rocker:

GuineaPig said:
I'd say he sounds really strained on some of the higher verses.

Yep, this is one of the things that bothers me on this song. In general I think it is the weakest link on the album. Yes it has spunk and energy and is vaguely reminiscent of Man on the Edge but it feels like it was added primarily because they needed a short, good, rocker. The lyrics are interesting though and I think would be worthy of another type of song altogether. But maybe it needs more time to grow on me. Not a downright bad song, just not impressed with it.

It's very catchy, all those melodic parts.

Robbiedbee said:
I think it's in the top half of songs now.

With me too. And it's not at the bottom of that top 5. I probably rate it 4th or even 3rd. I am not going to underrate such a shining track, only because it's a shorty. These days (Wildest Dreams, Different World) are over.

I absolutely agree with that statement! The Final Frontier and The Alchemist are both better than the shorter rockers of the past 2 albums; I would say they along with Rainmaker are the best 3 short songs of the past 9 years.

I think Rainmaker is better than TFF and The Alchemist. Different World and The Wickerman are good too. In fact, I quite like The Fallen Angel and The Mercenary too. I think it's only Wildest Dreams I dislike (and I do, a lot too) of the 'new' short songs.

1) Rainmaker
2) The Alchemist
3) The Wickerman

I think.

Note how I said the past 9 years :D The Wicker Man is probably just as good as The Alchemist, IMO.

LooseCannon said:
Note how I said the past 9 years :D The Wicker Man is probably just as good as The Alchemist, IMO.
BNW wasn't realised in 2001? I think my world is falling down around me...

This has to be the wordiest 4:30 song I've ever heard.  Yet at the same time it doesn't feel bogged down in vocals leaving plenty of room for the instruments to shine.  Good song, great lyrics.  This entire album is really a treasure trove of great lyrical ideas.  Strange Alchemy!

Back