The Alchemist

How good is The Alchemist on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
LooseCannon said:
Fucking creepy song. Fuck you, John Dee.

LOL

The lyrics make it seem like Dee is sending a message through the song, speaking from a spirit's point of view, recalling his previous earthly life and making plans for the next one. That's how powerful the words are to me, and it sure as hell creeps me out too.

It's interesting how it lyrically relates to Isle of Avalon (a spirit narrating its rebirth into flesh) and Starblind (the spirit of someone who has just died). Somewhat of a recurring theme for Maiden, and I absolutely don't have a problem with it.

Private Benjamin Breeg said:
This song sounds like it could've fit nicely on POM or Powerslave to me, just sonically speaking. 

Definitely. The "Strange alchemy" part has a similar effect to "Will give you peace of mind" from Still Life. Maybe they should have named the album "Strange Alchemy" and had Eddie drinking from test tubes...

Invisible said:
The lyrics make it seem like Dee is sending a message through the song, speaking from a spirit's point of view, recalling his previous earthly life and making plans for the next one. That's how powerful the words are to me, and it sure as hell creeps me out too.

"I was the keeper of the books
I had the knowledge of the scrolls
But now through ignorance and fear
I cast a shadow through the years

Know this
I will return to this land
Rebuild where the ruins did stand
Chain up the demons set free
Strange alchemy"

I agree, it sounds like he wants to come back from the dead and fix what he could not before his life ended.

LooseCannon said:
I absolutely agree with that statement! The Final Frontier and The Alchemist are both better than the shorter rockers of the past 2 albums; I would say they along with Rainmaker are the best 3 short songs of the past 9 years.

I'd have to wholeheartedly agree with that statement. Rainmaker still holds a special place in my heart.

The song has really grown on me, I simply adore it! Great lyrics (my God, what quantity of syllables Bruce is capable of belting out), great riffage! Nicely done, Janick!

The only small remark I have is the abrupt fade-out on the cymbal at the very end. It should have been much smoother.

Ranko said:
The only small remark I have is the abrupt fade-out on the cymbal at the very end. It should have been much smoother.
Forostar said:
I thought this happens with more songs on the album.

True, this is all over the album and helps crushing the listener against the wall by giving no room to "rest" between songs. There are probably more moments of silence within the songs than in between them.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
You know a song is a classic when the only critical point to be found is that the cymbal fades out too fast at the end....!

:D

This song should be made the anthem of the chemistry student club at our university (Høiskolens Chemikerforening). All those found worthy of membership are labeled alchemists  :p

Another thing that makes this song so great is the fact that Maiden was able to squeeze 5 separate vocal parts into each verse/chorus part.

This song feels like a mix of Futureal and Be Quick or Be Dead, without sounding like either one that much.  One of the best reunion rockers.

Invader said:
This song feels like a mix of Futureal and Be Quick or Be Dead, without sounding like either one that much.  One of the best reunion rockers.

Maybe even the best.
Sounds like it should have been on Powerslave

Sounds like it should have been on Powerslave

I would disagree, but not because I don't like the song.  It just seems more like a 90s fast song, especially as it's written by Janick.  The sound just reminds me of the 90s albums more.  :)

I get the short and punchy Futureal reference, but for me it's lyrics and the melody and the way the song is structured.
I think the first five songs of TFF have a real retro feel — they could have been side one of an album that came out instead of, or right after, SIT.

Love the intro and its guitars tones, the song is pretty straight forward and reminds me of Sabbath's The Law Maker, Bruce's Silver Wings, some classic Helloween style and Man On The Edge; Janick's solo is great, just wow!

Hehe, I've complained as hell that there wasn't so much support in the Black Sabbath survivor. But I remember you there!

Forostar said:
Listen to Man on the Edge and Be Quick or Be Dead, it's really recognizable.

And both of those are also Janick songs, coincidentally. :)  The thing that doesn't remind me of 90s in this song, though, is Bruce's singing.  It's way better than on No Prayer or Fear, and some parts are so high that I don't think Blaze could have handled them.

Back