The Aftermath

How good is The Aftermath on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
'the Aftermath'

I also think that the questions asked in this song are important questions, but I see more to them than just the war theme.

What are we fighting for?
What really was the reason for all the fighting? It just brought more pain, death and suffering. Why didn't we settle the whole thing peacefully? This is probably the most important question in the song, I just hope none of us will be asking this question during our lifetimes.

Is it worth the pain? Is it worth dying for?
This is actually a question we will all ask in our lifetime, when we go to school, we think "Is this worth all of the hours I spend doing homework every night?", when we have kids we think "Is all the money we spend on him/her gonna help? Is she/he gonna grow into a respectable man/woman?". The answer to these questions is of course, "Yes", as is the question about war, risking your life protecting your family, thats all worth it in the end.

Who will take the blame?
Another question that we ask everyday in our lives, when we do something wrong, its human nature to avoid the blame, but sometimes we take the blame for others, to keep them out of trouble while other times, you debate who should take it, in a way, you want to, but you want to avoid the trouble.

Should we be fighting at all?
Sometimes you have an issue with someone and you get into a big arguement, after its over, you wonder. For example, you get a phone call from your kid's principle and your kid was in a fight. They get home and you get mad at them, its in the nature, you worry that your kid is gonna get hurt. You argue with him/her and then afterwards you feel bad about it and you're like "Omg...what have I done...we shouldn't be fighting, we should be talking".

'the Aftermath'

I agree with all the above comments, with the references to WW1 however, I also find a few references to early 19th century warfare(and before as this quote probably applies to every war ever fought)
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
After the war, what does a solider become[/quote]

a lot of the soliders in the napoleonic wars (especially british red coats) where basically [!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Scum of the earth[/quote] as quoted by Arthur Wellesley aka Duke of Wellington. Ignored by the public during peace time, but when hostilities broke out, they where much more useful.
When the war ended much of the army was disbanded many permanently maimed and wounded, living on just a few pence a die.

There was also a shortage of labour, due to the influx of men, (also from the navy too) causing more problems. To sum it up the troops turned from being the heroic soldiers of the war to unwanted scum on the streets, discarded by the state.

Re: 'the Aftermath'

Awesome song, probably one of the best behing Blood On The Worlds hands and sign of the cross. The chorus is haunting and the lyrics really thought provoking (well, most of them on the album are......)

Definately seems to me to be anearly version of Paschendale.........

Daily Song: The Aftermath

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Aftermath

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song is one of the best ones on the album. Sure, some people will say the music is slow and maybe a little less interesting; but I think it is powerful and brooding. Though it's no Sign of the Cross, it is still full of the powerful, dark regret that filled a losing soldier after the First World War; as I've said previously, Paschendale is all-but the prequel to this track. Fantastic. 10/10.

Re: Daily Song: The Aftermath

Strong song, this is where IMO, the album picks up a bit.  Would not mind seeing this return to a future setlist.  Give it an 8.

This song has (as opposed to Fortunes of War and Sign of the Cross) a very strong midpiece, and I also love that calm intro, showcasing Janick's contribution (check Bruce's Son of a Gun or Maiden's Wasting Love).

These parts are very strong especially the exciting midpiece, starting with "..After the War..." (very doomy!) and then the sudden acceleration with nice subtle rhythm guitars, plus Dave's shining melody. Later Blaze joins, ending with "I'm just a soldier .. !". Always looking forward to this.

So far the great stuff. What do I find less about "The Aftermath"? Janick's solo I find not that imaginative, especially the end where he keeps repeating that motive (a bit annoying). I know it's normal to do that, while the chords change, but I prefer more variation.

Other less favourite parts I find the couplets. I do not mind that they are slow. The problem is that they lack a good melody. These chords and vocal melodies sound like a child lullaby.

In Fortunes of War this went way better. That was a way better melody, and it sounded darker, more threatening, heavier and more fitting.

Conclusion: good lyrics are not everything. In Maiden they should be delivered with good music and good melodies, and unfortunately this only goes for the intro and the mid of the song.

All in all I'll still give an 8, because the good parts are very good.  

This is one of the songs Blaze did in Maiden I think he sounds best on. "In, the mud, and rain..." so awesome.

Easily 10/10!
The live version from the "The Angel and the Gambler" single album is even better.

I disagree 100%. Maybe he did well, but (as described) I dislike these parts because they are very simple, and he only follows the not very exciting chord structure.

I'll do my say about Blaze's best performance when we get to Blood on the World's Hands.  :D

I always looked at this as the little brother of Fortunes of War; they're both basically about the same thing, but I like FoW more.  The verses are sort of annoying in this song ("In the mud and rain, what are we fighting for? Is it worth the pain, it is worth dying for?"), specifically how Blaze sings them.  The lyrics are great, but like Foro said, they need good music.  The song only really picks up at "After the war", after which it's generally excellent with a very nice instrumental section.  So, the part before 2:51 is rather mediocre (--> 7), but after that excellent (--> 9).  That averages out to a fair 8.

9. Another strong song with similar structure as many songs on the album, but even so, retaining an unique vibe intrinsically attached to its lyrics. Janick solo is one of Maiden's best. This song is a real trip into war. :edmetal:

Anyone who thinks steve harris is over rated as a lyricist needs to listen to this album. This songs lyrics are just as strong as paschendales in my opinion and you really get a sense of what it would be like to be a soldier after the battle has finished. Love the part "im just a soldier..."

10/10.

i neglected this album for 2 years and now i cant stop listening, its so fucking dark and mooody

Despite a lot of peoples opnion's here, I like this one a lot better than Fortunes of War.  Gets to the point quicker, better written.  9.  Some of the best lyrics on an album, that while fantastic, has some struggles in the lyric department.

Not the best of  The X Factor. It's still a nice song. 7/10

Very good lyrics and I like how Blaze delivers them. The main melody isn't as strong but the instrumental section lifts the song up. Overall, slightly better than Fortunes of War (basically a twin with the same subject matter), but not enough to give it an extra point. 8/10.

This has grown to become my second favourite from this album. The lyrics are great, the mood of the song matches them well, and Blaze's delivery is powerful. The breakdown after the chorus, with the following buildup to the solo, is great, and the solo rocks the house down. 9/10.

7/10, but I realize I should have given 8/10. A pretty great song from The X Factor.

I had to revisit a few tracks as I have not played The X Factor in some time. This track is pretty damn good and has to rate as one of the best tracks of the Blaze era. I will give it a 9.

Back