TBOS Tour Predictions

Right, a couple months makes sense. But August for a February/March show? No way.

Also, we know
Empire of the Clouds
won't be in the set so any of these lists including it are obviously bunk.

My new setlist prediction
1. If Eternity Should Fail
2. Speed of Light
3. El Dorado
4. The Book of Souls
5. Two Minutes to Midnight
6. Dance of Death/Paschendale/Talisman
7. Brave New World
8. The Wicker Man/Different World
9. The Red and the Black
10. Some other song from the new album.
11. Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden
--- Encore
14. Caught Somewhere in Time
15. Stranger in a Strange Land
16. Hallowed be Thy Name

Since we now know that Empire of the Clouds will not be played it definitely opens it up for the Red and the Black, which from the interviews sounds like a song they're pretty high on. The encore is wishful thinking, it would be to celebrate Somewhere in Time's 30th anniversary.

I'd like to start a new discussion. Where do you all think the tour will start? North America, South America, Europe?

Right, a couple months makes sense. But August for a February/March show? No way.

Also, we know
Empire of the Clouds
won't be in the set so any of these lists including it are obviously bunk.
Has this been confirmed? I remember seeing an interview where the answer was basically "probably not but we'll rehearse everything anyway" but I haven't seen any interviews where it's a definite no. What did I miss?

Has this been confirmed? I remember seeing an interview where the answer was basically "probably not but we'll rehearse everything anyway" but I haven't seen any interviews where it's a definite no. What did I miss?

I guess there was no 100% confirmation, I'm going off that same interview. But I would literally never expect to hear that song live. Granted, I haven't heard it yet, but if Alexander was too complex, I can't imagine how hard it would be for them to pull off something twice Alexander's length

I guess there was no 100% confirmation, I'm going off that same interview. But I would literally never expect to hear that song live. Granted, I haven't heard it yet, but if Alexander was too complex, I can't imagine how hard it would be for them to pull off something twice Alexander's length

I really don't get what's so complex about ATG. Surely it's not as complex as Rime, Seventh Son, or When The Wild Wind Blows.

It has a lot of odd time signatures and tricky rhythms that require more listening than the standard Maiden song. Other long Maiden songs are long, but pretty straightforward. Especially Rime and Wild Wind.

Rime is part of my standard bass workout; I play it several times per week. I'm gonna guess you guys haven't picked up a guitar and played it lately, because it is far more complex than either ATG or WTWWB.

The structure is far more convoluted than most (if not all) Maiden songs, and this isn't simply due to length. (If length were the issue, WTWWB would be similar, but it ain't.) Go ahead, count the riffs, write out the structure: there's simply more packed into that song.

Beyond that, the song is full of little details to be nailed. All the places you need that quick little d-e-f#-d run on the fourth beat, vs. all the similar moments you don't play it. The application of dynamics is mandatory; Alex and WW are much more dynamically static. Most time changes are rhythmic modulations, not simply odd time sigs. And if you think that spooky section in the middle is easy, try it on bass: those are some rarely-used bass chords, and playing perfects triplets at extremely slow tempo for several minutes is far harder than you might think.

I'm sure I saw in an interview
that Bruce said he was just a two fingered piano player and we wouldn't see him play any time soon
But I can't find where I read that now.

I think this is the most realistic setlist:
01. If Eternity Should Fail
02. Speed of Light
03. Ghost of the Navigator
04. Coming Home
05. The Trooper
06. Dance of Death
07. The Book of Souls
08. Powerslave
09. 2 Minutes To Midnight
10. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
11. The Red and the Black
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
----------
15. The Number of the Beast
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name
17. Running Free

I think this is the most realistic setlist:
01. If Eternity Should Fail
02. Speed of Light
03. Ghost of the Navigator
04. Coming Home
05. The Trooper
06. Dance of Death
07. The Book of Souls
08. Powerslave
09. 2 Minutes To Midnight
10. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
11. The Red and the Black
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
----------
15. The Number of the Beast
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name
17. Running Free
It's not realistic at all.

Rime is part of my standard bass workout; I play it several times per week. I'm gonna guess you guys haven't picked up a guitar and played it lately, because it is far more complex than either ATG or WTWWB.

The structure is far more convoluted than most (if not all) Maiden songs, and this isn't simply due to length. (If length were the issue, WTWWB would be similar, but it ain't.) Go ahead, count the riffs, write out the structure: there's simply more packed into that song.

Beyond that, the song is full of little details to be nailed. All the places you need that quick little d-e-f#-d run on the fourth beat, vs. all the similar moments you don't play it. The application of dynamics is mandatory; Alex and WW are much more dynamically static. Most time changes are rhythmic modulations, not simply odd time sigs. And if you think that spooky section in the middle is easy, try it on bass: those are some rarely-used bass chords, and playing perfects triplets at extremely slow tempo for several minutes is far harder than you might think.
Well I don't take bass so I'll take your word for it, but on guitar it's pretty standard riffing. Just stretched out 13 minutes with a nice break in the middle.

Anyway, I wasn't really talking about the difficulty on individual instruments, but playing it as a band. There are a lot of moments where the band really has to lock in and I imagine that's where they would've had troubles rehearsing it. I think the 2010 tour proved this could be a weak spot when they had trouble with Paschendale and BTATS. There are some pretty messy recordings of those songs out there.

Something went up on Warner Music Norway's website a few weeks ago saying that tour dates would be revealed on August 25. Then it was taken offline.

Back