Stratovarius

Well, coming from the keyboard maestro himself, I'd think it's quite reliable. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Here's what it says in the news section:

(Jan 2002 / a little news! ) Apologise for lack of updates here. Been busy relaxing. Nice to be on break! I've not done much lately, just watching movies, reading books, etc. I did some work for Arjen's new record though. That was interesting.
Schedule and plans as follows. a) Complete Barilari keyboards and send off to Argentina (which I had promised to have ready by many months ago! ) [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Do some solos on Benny Jansson's new record. c) Try to compose some songs for the new Strato. This will be difficult, because the songs Timo has made already are very good!! It's a very high standard to compete against. d) Finish keys and melodies for new Johansson record. Also fit Bill and Mastermind in here somehow. e) Go to Finland April 22, rehearse, start tracking in Finnvox May 16, finish keyboards. f) rest of year, odds and ends like video. Also I will guest on a Hammerfall bonus track — we will do Yngwie's \"Rising Force\". Should be fun! We have to play it faster than the original! g) Strato promo junket beginning of November in an extremely cool place. Record release 1st week of January 2003. Tour to follow. Countries under consideration: ru? fi se no? de cg fr es pt? it gr? uk ar br cl mx us? ca? jp.

Finnvox is a top notch recording studio in Finland.

Well, I haven't heard anything before Visions except for Fright Night, but I still think Visions is their best effort to date. Should probably get at least Episode...

Jorg Michael should go back to running wild. [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]  :lol:

[!--QuoteBegin-Real World+20 Mar. 2002,01:03--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Real World @ 20 Mar. 2002,01:03)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Visions of Europe [which ROCKS btw][/quote]
The 'Holy Solos' on that album are fun listening!  :D

so fast?! cool, i thought that i would be listening the intermission album for the next 3 years

Didn't want to start a new thread if one already existed and I had a feeling this one did.

At any rate. I went to the record store the other day to torture myself, because I really can't afford to splurge on the "luxury" of music lately. They had Therion's old albums "Of Darkness" and "Beyond Sanctorum," Dream Theater's new one which I nearly broke down and purchased as well as Amorphis' and Stratovarius' new one. These last to I also almost broke down and bought and then I asked myself, should I? Amorphis' sound hasn't changed a whole lot in the last four albums. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but more of the same? Likewise with Stratovarius. I was worried they wouldn't be the same band without Tolki and as it turns out they are just as good if not better, at least considering their last 3 albums WITH Tolki. I lamented my cowardice at trying to expand my musical landscape by trying new bands and getting tired of the ones I already know.

Then today I youtubed the full album:

It is more of the same... and I LOVE IT. Damn me and damn them. I can't get enough of this stuff. They are progressing in their new found sound since losing Tolki and it is awesome. It is heavier than the Tolki trademark which is good, but just as melodic. Kotipelto can still belt it and does not have the "duck voice" of Matos nor the "whininess" of Kiske. Good Power Metal. Definitely picking it up. Will youtube Amorphis next.

Well damn, didn't even realise Stratovarius were making a new album. I'll have to check it out sometime (dunno when that will be though).

New (but already a year old o_O) Stratovarius album, Nemesis, is quite awesome. One of rare veteran power metal bands who are still quite good. Tolkki leaving was the best thing that ever happened to them. Now 4 members almost equally contribute to writing (except for the new drummer). All 3 albums since Tolkki left are awesome.

Nemesis still sounds like Stratovarius but they introduced some heavier guitars, electronic influences and a bit proggier sound. I was sceptical at Jörg Michael leaving, because his drumming was one of the trademarks of the band, but the new guy did a great job! Kotipelto still sounds exactly the same though :p But really, this album sounds so fresh and adventurous for Stratovarius.

and a kickass song from the previous album, Elysium:

I wouldn't listen to it even if Barlow guested. Everything he recorded after he left sounds like Stratovarius or Avantasia, to the point of ripoffs.

I still think it's illogical that you love Sabaton and Powerwolf but hate all the classic power metal bands :p

Back