Starblind

How good is Starblind on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Will-I-Am said:
I'm currently listen to it right now. Very poetic song, excellent & unusual rhythmic session.

Can anybody tell me what timing the breakdown after the four minute mark is in? 7/8?

Is not an album à solos, but I like that. The songs are solid, for instance your -possibly- correct remark I didn't even notice.
I'm taken by the music as a whole in this albums, in fact I had to try and distinguish the solos, in the third (!) listen. But as I said, I like that  :)

Moonchild33 said:
It's really a shame. Of course people like Bruce Dickinson and Yngwie Malmsteen give them the credit they deserve, but beyond that it's a damn shame.
By the way, Child in Time > most people's life.

Back on topic, I just love Starblind's chorus. "STARLIGHT! STARBRIGHT!" Beautiful vocals, Bruce.

"starblind with sun" I think, right?

I'm absolutely shocked that everyone can't see how similar this is to Infinte Dreams. It's not a criticism to say it borrows heavily from a previous song - ID is one of the best and Starblind is cracking but at 2:21 of Starblind when it goes into "The crucible of pain..." bit is almost identical to the "can't be all co-incidence" bit in Infinite Dreams and as someone else said, the bluesy guitar licks in the background again are pretty similar. For instance listen to the little lead bit in the background at 2:15 of Starlbind and the one at 0:50 (suffocation, waking in a sweat) of Infinte Dreams - pretty much identical again.

As I say, they are damn similar but I love both.

IronMark666 said:
I'm absolutely shocked that everyone can't see how similar this is to Infinte Dreams. It's not a criticism to say it borrows heavily from a previous song - ID is one of the best and Starblind is cracking but at 2:21 of Starblind when it goes into "The crucible of pain..." bit is almost identical to the "can't be all co-incidence" bit in Infinite Dreams and as someone else said, the bluesy guitar licks in the background again are pretty similar. For instance listen to the little lead bit in the background at 2:15 of Starlbind and the one at 0:50 (suffocation, waking in a sweat) of Infinte Dreams - pretty much identical again.

As I say, they are damn similar but I love both.

I don't think they're that similar.

This song 'Starblind' is a pleasant surprise for me.  I thought there would be a filler on this album, and this might be it. No Fu8kin way.  Starblind rocks. I love the chorus and the weird un Maiden like parts.  There is an Infinite dreams vibe.  I heard that in another thread, and I agree.  At the 4:05 mark, after Bruce growl's  "Endlessly deceived"...that cool Zeppelin like guitar?  Oh yah un maiden like.  But nice! I give this one a 4/5...

i don't see infinate dreams at all. this song is so incredible. the slow into opening into the riff and bruces voice preaching to the listener. they just seem to get better with age

This is one of my favourites. Bruce struggles a bit in the chorus, but I guess that's ok. This song also reminds a bit of Lord of Light, don't know why..

Will-I-Am said:
Is not an album à solos, but I like that. The songs are solid, for instance your -possibly- correct remark I didn't even notice.
I'm taken by the music as a whole in this albums, in fact I had to try and distinguish the solos, in the third (!) listen. But as I said, I like that  :)

You nailed it right there! Most of these solos are so beautifully crafted that they become another part of the song, rather than standing out as a chance to widdle away. They are amazingly appropriate in each song.
I'm still trying to form an opinion about this song. It's another example of strange vocal phrasing...but this song really DOES grip me through it. I know I love it...but I don't know what to make of it. I really love how they took many chances with how this is sung, and they all work. Loving the little guitar fills and accents...brilliant! This is one of the things I love best about Maiden...how they can weave so much into a song, and have it all be cohesive! The chorus is melodically brilliant...and the lyric..."You are free to choose a life to live or one that's left to lose." I love also the turns this song takes..and that's part of what makes it so hard to take in and form opinions about...cause it's constantly moving...but always beautifully. This song will really throw you off balance for probably the first few listens...but as you get to know it and what to expect, I think it'll come together for you, and you will love it like I do.

This song feels somewhat psychedelic to me.  Also reminds me a bit of Infinite Dreams at times. Lovin' it.

Back