Songs that wasn't released as singles but should have been

I also think a shortened edit of Two worlds collide would have been a better choice, at least commercially, than taatg....

Ummmmmmm... Hallowed.
Maiden never releases their epic song from each album as a single though... Possibly to give the full album more value or a problem with time since a 7" record can only hold about 5 minutes of music on each side at 45 RPM. But I'm not sure if Maiden released their singles as LPs or on cassette or both back then.

They usually released them both on 7" and 12" (cassette too, I guess) , so yes, they wouldn't release a song too long for regular 7"/45 rpm.

I can't see Dream of Mirrors as a single. It feels more like a B-list epic. (Not a knock on the song; look at the A-list. Rime, Hallowed, etc.)

Yeah, but look at what was chosen instead.
OOTSP? Really?
I mean Wickerman I can understand. It's radio friendly, and a rocker. (though not one I am particularly fond of).
But OOTSP, it's got the interesting riff in the beginning, and the first lines by Bruce sound good, it really raises the anticipation. But then it all just falls flat. How many times did they repeat the title? And the lyrics really don't mean anything. It's just boring and uninteresting.

I absolutely love OOTSP, but I agree that it probably wasn't the best choice for a single. An edited version of Ghost of the Navigator or the title track, or even The Mercenary, would have made better singles.

It would destroy the song, but a single edit of Blood Brothers would have at least been radio friendly. It's got great melodies, positive lyrics, metal but not too much so.

The Fugitive

27457b.jpg

ebay-072.jpg

Back