Social media poll

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date

Do you use social media, if yes, do you follow your favourite metal bands there?

• I don't use social media

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I use it, but only for personal connections

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I use it, and follow/update myself on metal there too

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
Probably. You know how they say, if it's free, you're the product. They have no business value except for their user base and data it generates.

I'm pretty sure there are lots and lots of ways of getting your personal information, even that of those people who rarely go online and destroy cookies every time they do. I used to do data entry work, and the rule was if in doubt, assume they're okay with having their information sold on. 'Doubt' included a tick that wasn't entirely within the box on the form. My bank notified me they may pass selected information on to third parties. I'm led to believe certain contractor-run public services do it too. Then there are online services that regularly get hacked.

I do look what I sign. They always want to deceive you at the bank, for instance I was upgrading mobile banking and she gave me two papers to sign - one was a consent to pass all my info to all companies in their corporate group. I asked her is this mandatory to have mobile banking service, she said no, I just signed the first paper.

Pieces of information around aren't that important or dangerous, it's one private entity having access to contents of private life in form of pictures, messages, and relations.

I've spoke of this before - there's data and there's metadata. When you're posting mail, metadata is your name and your address, the data is the letter inside. Metadata is visible to multiple parties along the way and is not secure. The data should not be snooped at. Facebook knows who are you talking to and what are you talking about. Big difference.

Oh I agree, it shouldn't be done, and it's indiscriminately being done on a large scale. I just think many of those who say "you must be stupid to go on social media anyway" have a very exaggerated sense of security about their browsing, electronic communications, and other information. Having seen how some companies have a total disregard for privacy, how self-declared 'private investigators' (AKA gutter press freelances) can get access to some very personal stuff, and the fact that phones and email providers can get hacked, I don't think anything much is guaranteed secure.

I have a facebook and snapchat account, but they are only for personal relations and buy/sell/trading groups.
Prefer to get news from homepages, websites and magazines

Might as well chime in!

I tried Twitter (didn't like it), and prefer Tumblr as a social media website. Twitter is designed solely to induce conflict, and Tumblr is a lot better than it used to be (ever since the NSFW ban caused people to move to Twitter).

I don't follow any metal bands; this forum gives me all the news I need.

I only use Facebook and seriously considering getting rid of it. I was essentially forced to get a smartphone by my job otherwise I wouldn't even have that. Watched the Social Dilema on Netflix and just kinda solidified the unease I've been feeling for a couple of years now.

The reason I haven't gotten rid of it is Family. A great example was this morning when my cousins made a post about my uncles funeral... I feel that's what social media should be, family and friends staying in touch and finding out things you othewise wouldn't be able to instead of fake news, click bait and wish ads.

I only use Facebook and seriously considering getting rid of it. I was essentially forced to get a smartphone by my job otherwise I wouldn't even have that. Watched the Social Dilema on Netflix and just kinda solidified the unease I've been feeling for a couple of years now.

The reason I haven't gotten rid of it is Family. A great example was this morning when my cousins made a post about my uncles funeral... I feel that's what social media should be, family and friends staying in touch and finding out things you othewise wouldn't be able to instead of fake news, click bait and wish ads.
There's a very good article about this by an artist/activist I like. It references Digital Minimalism in the footnotes, too, which is a helpful book; it's how I started using the internet less.

https://lb-lee.dreamwidth.org/1099136.html

So those people about Death came up with Terry Pratchett's Death at the end of the book cycle, after he'd been moderated by his experiences with Rincewind and his daughter.

How original.

So those people about Death came up with Terry Pratchett's Death at the end of the book cycle, after he'd been moderated by his experiences with Rincewind and his daughter.

How original.
True, it isn't very original (I'm currently reading Discworld), but it's well-written, and I enjoy reading well-written content. Besides, it was just a random post that I chose on a whim.

If you want to see the sort of Tumblr stuff I enjoy, check out @biggest-gaudiest-patronuses (more commonly known as Gaud). They post random semi-cursed humour

alongside life advice and mental health awareness (primarily autism/ADHD/depression).

Last edited:
I follow bands on Facebook and Twitter after reading reviews at Sputnik and Metal Archives/Encyclopedia Metallum -- many reviewers namedrop bands within their reviews, and I've found several good newer metal bands through visiting the Sputnik and Metal Archives boards/forums.

Back