Social media poll

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date

Do you use social media, if yes, do you follow your favourite metal bands there?

• I don't use social media

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I use it, but only for personal connections

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I use it, and follow/update myself on metal there too

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 7164

People have started comparing metal bands by social media penetration and I don't think it is a good measurement stick. Let's see what a simple poll says on the issue. Btw, social media is Facebook, Twitter, and the rest of that shit. Not forums / chatrooms and their modern iteration.

I use social media and I follow (some) bands and band members on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
It helps me follow the news, check out both tour and personal time-off photos, and is useful when I need to verify whether something I see online gets confirmed officially or I can dismiss it as a hoax.
Additionally, I follow certain metal-related media, both local and international, which allows me to see news on releases, videos, interviews, etc. Basically, I use social media as a news source, yes.

I use Facebook, and follow some of my favourite bands there. Some bands by now do their official communication via Facebook (and probably Twitter) only, so it's the best way to keep up-to-date with such news. I also follow my favourite metal magazine, which often posts obscure or brand new music links to YouTube, so it's also an additional tool for me to discover new music. I use the news source as a barometer to catch the current attitudes and trends in the metal world, but it's not so important to me to get the latest news right away, except with a very limited handful of bands, and my main source of information on the metal world is a bi-monthly magazine called Deaf Forever that prefers to include well-researched and detailed articles over covering every tidbit of news.

K guys thanks for the input. I read Blabbermouth for the news and I follow Maiden and Metallica's official YT channels. To be honest it fulfills my news needs.

I use FB and Twitter, and yeah I follow my favorite artists there. That said, I’m also following Loudwire on Twitter so most of my news is actually coming from that (and this forum). Depends on what I’m able to see.

How to follow news about a band ≠ how to measure band popularity
When measuring band popularity one should include consumption of the band. Imo paid consumption: concert tickets, album sales...

It is straight up difficult to measure something as subjective as popularity even when you have all the side statistics. The story originates in JP vs IM popularity thread where some members presented that Maiden have way more of a social media footprint and half-jokingly concluded they must be a lot more popular than JP.

I'm not a social media user so I can't base this on my own example, therefore posted a poll.

The best way to look at social media presence isn’t so much as a measure for how popular a band is today and more as one of many things they’re doing right in continuing to stay relevant. The Book of Souls got a lot more social media buzz than TFF imo and that is partly due to Maiden increasing their presence on YouTube/Facebook/Twitter.

I don’t log on to Facebook much anymore but when I do it’s usually music related stuff on my newsfeed. It has actually proven to be a useful way of keeping up with artists that I casually enjoy. I end up being more aware of what they’re doing than I would otherwise simply because I don’t think to check on what they’re up to regularly.

The best way to look at social media presence isn’t so much as a measure for how popular a band is today and more as one of many things they’re doing right in continuing to stay relevant. The Book of Souls got a lot more social media buzz than TFF imo and that is partly due to Maiden increasing their presence on YouTube/Facebook/Twitter.

In 2010 FB and stuff weren't used by everyone and their grandmas so that's possibly it. I like your definition of "staying relevant". What's interesting that Maiden is not a internet era band and they had a first fully digital release basically yesterday. Their YT seldom gets updated when they're not on the road. I feel like they don't actually produce for the Internet, only publish. Stuff that might be left over for DVD bonus sections and such.

I have followed a few band pages on FB and Twitter, but I mainly use social media for other stuff

In 2010 FB and stuff weren't used by everyone and their grandmas so that's possibly it. I like your definition of "staying relevant". What's interesting that Maiden is not a internet era band and they had a first fully digital release basically yesterday. Their YT seldom gets updated when they're not on the road. I feel like they don't actually produce for the Internet, only publish. Stuff that might be left over for DVD bonus sections and such.

On the other hand, Maiden were one of the first major music acts to have a band website, and they completely abolished physical video releases now; even the History documentaries are on their Youtube channel now.

As I've said before, I suspect Maiden's business side isn't the slick operation you might expect for a big band. It comes across as being done on a shoestring. Maybe that's my Yorkshire prejudice coming out, though.

@Perun Yeah. I believe fans could access Ironmaiden.com around 1996. I have a lot of old fan club magazine from around that time and I remember them advertising it quite a lot. They even had a Cyberstore back then, as they called it. And you could sign Eddie's guestbook and enter competitions etc. I think Maiden were at the forefront of all of this at the time actually :)

Nowadays most communication goes through Facebook. The website gets updated with the most important stuff but they post to Facebook every other day at least. Even if just a link to a song on YouTube or whatever.

I use Facebook for personal connections, but I do follow my favorite artists. It's more of a "might as well do it" situation though.

I barely ever read any music news to be honest. If anything interesting like a release announcement happens, I'll probably see it somewhere else like Maidenfans.

On the other hand, Maiden were one of the first major music acts to have a band website, and they completely abolished physical video releases now; even the History documentaries are on their Youtube channel now.

Good memory.

Any of you had @ironmaiden.com email? They had a free service once. Before the spammers took the net.

I did exchange a few mails. Btw archive.org has snapshots of ironmaiden.com since 1998. Hold my beer, going on a nostalgia trip

I have no social media accounts. I do, however, look at some bands' facebook pages from time-to-time to see if there any updates/tour news/nice photos.

Back